RemyKey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
'ello, e'eryone! :D
I have set-up a sword technique skill type. When the character who uses a sword has enough TP to use one such of this skill type, the character only uses the "General Skill" pose. I have altered the "General Skill" pose animation to look like he is swinging a sword when performing a sword skill.

Now...my question is: without manually putting a sword in his hands in the "General Skill" pose animation, how might I get the character to have a sword appear when using one of these skills?
Same for characters using other weapons, too when using other weapon skill types (such as axe, staff, etc.)...
I hope to remedy this without a plugin, though I'm okay if I have to use a plugin (which, present-presently I am using battle plugins from Yanfly as well as side-view battler plugin for enemies)...

Genuinely,
Remy K.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you didn't check the database or the help on how animations work.
to use the weapon animations, you need to:

1) give the skill the "normal attack" animation
2) make sure that the skill has a skill type that is NOT set to SV Magic in the system tab
3) have the weapon animation assigne to the equipped weapon type in the system tab.

then, when the skill is used, the engine will reference the equipped weapon to the weapon animation set to it as the normal attack on the system tab.

RemyKey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you didn't check the database or the help on how animations work.
to use the weapon animations, you need to:

1) give the skill the "normal attack" animation
2) make sure that the skill has a skill type that is NOT set to SV Magic in the system tab
3) have the weapon animation assigne to the equipped weapon type in the system tab.

then, when the skill is used, the engine will reference the equipped weapon to the weapon animation set to it as the normal attack on the system tab.
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, I did check to ensure the skill type wasn't listed in the SV Magic system tab section. I only have "SpellCasting" set in that (which is my game's version of "Magic").
I also have the weapon animation assigned to the equipped weapon type in the systems tab.

I had a custom animation for a skill in the "Sword Skills" type, though set it to "Normal Attack" to see if the sword would appear and it does not. That is why I am writing for help in this issue... :D

I would like the sword to appear like normal, though the animation I created for the specific skill to play, also. That is the goal for me, though understand if the basic engine isn't set-up this way.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then show us screenshots of the skill and the weapon the actor has equipped.
do you have any plugins installed that might change the default behaviour?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
By default only skill #1 (basic attack) uses the weapon motion/sprite. You'd need a plugin for what you're asking. One option could be to register additional skills as "attacks", e.g. (untested):
JavaScript:
(function(alias) {
  Game_Action.prototype.isAttack = function() {
    return alias.apply(this, arguments) || this.item().meta.attackSkill;
  };
})(Game_Action.prototype.isAttack);
To use, copy the code into a text editor, save as a .js file (Save As > File Type: All Files, Filename: whatever.js), import via the Plugin Manager, save your project, and test~

In theory this will cause skills with a <attackSkill> tag in their notebox to be recognised as "attacks". I think this would also cause those skills to be affected by traits like "Attack Times +" & "Attack Speed", maybe other effects as well.

Alternatively you could use something like Yanfly's Action Sequences to manually set the motions etc for certain skills:

RemyKey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Keep in mind, I altered the "General Skill" animation block on Side-View Battler to look like the character is swinging a sword...

Also, I only have YEP_BattleEngineCore because one or two other plugins I use requires it, though I do not have anything configured in it nor in use other than having the plugin turned "ON"...
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-4.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

RemyKey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By default only skill #1 (basic attack) uses the weapon motion/sprite. You'd need a plugin for what you're asking. One option could be to register additional skills as "attacks", e.g.
AWESOME! I was hoping to find a way to remedy this in the default game engine without a plugin, though I had a feeling it was less likely to be resolved in that manner. I shall test this javascript plugin now and let you know. Thanks a bunch and still am invested in any other replies and thoughts on this topic.

UPDATE: Tested your code and it works! AWESOME!!! Is there a particular naming you want me to use in crediting you (and would you like me to send you some cash for helping me out with this and taking the time to write that plugin)? :D

If I have Dagger Skills set to be used if player has dagger, give the player a dagger and set it to where that is the characters primary weapon---I add your code as instructed and the characters use whatever weapon they are allowed to when using the corresponding skill (Axe Weapon used with Axe Skills designed for an Axe, for example). AND...not only does their chosen weapon display in the attack, but the custom animation for the specific skills works, too!
This may seem a simple thing, but is AMAZING to have! I am surprised there is no built-in feature like this already! I mean, but be able to show a character using skills for a particular weapon and not have that weapon or weapon usage animation shown is just silly, to me. That's RPG Maker for ya, though: Tis a love-hate relationships. HAHAHAHAHAHA But the beauty is things like this code/plugin can be created to change little things like this. Just gotta love the engine! :D

Also, another quick question: What is the point or benefit of placing "Add state Normal attack 100%" in a skill Effects section? I see this in some weapon effects sections, but not all for skills...

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only have YEP_BattleEngineCore
that is the cause.
the battle core adds an additional animation to skills when used, and that animation is set in the plugin properties - you need to disable that option by setting the animation to zero before the regular methods function, or you need to use the action sequences for manual definition of the entire action sequence.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE: Tested your code and it works! AWESOME!!! Is there a particular naming you want me to use in crediting you (and would you like me to send you some cash for helping me out with this and taking the time to write that plugin)? :D
Great! You can credit me as "Caethyril" if you like. No need for payment~ :kaothx:

Also, another quick question: What is the point or benefit of placing "Add state Normal attack 100%" in a skill Effects section? I see this in some weapon effects sections, but not all for skills...
It's designed for use with Attack State traits. It means "for each attack state: 100% chance to add that state to the target". More details:
...the attack state is applied exclusively via the Add State: Normal Attack skill/item effect. This is present by default on the Attack skill. It comes with a percentage, e.g. 100%, that multiplies the attack state chance. :kaophew:

Example:
  • A battler has an Attack State: Poison +20% trait.
    They use a skill with Add State: Normal Attack 50% and Add State: Poison 80% effects.
    Their target has an overall state rate of 70% for Poison.

• Normal Attack state: 50% * 20% * 70% = 7% chance of applying Poison.
    Poison state: 80% * 70% = 56% chance of applying Poison.
    As noted, these are rolled separately: the target might get poisoned 0, 1, or 2 times.

Edit: also, by default when a state is applied its duration is reset, so applying the same state 1+ times in the same action is pretty much the same as applying it once.

RemyKey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great! You can credit me as "Caethyril" if you like. No need for payment~ :kaothx:

It's designed for use with Attack State traits. It means "for each attack state: 100% chance to add that state to the target". More details:
Great to know!!! :D Learn something new about RPG Maker e'eryday.
Thanks a million, Caethyril and if you are positive you don't want $5.00 or $10.00 for your time and aid, that's fine, though I'm willing to toss ya some cash to say thanks. If you change your mind, Private Message me, please. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zaj
Hi quick question. Is it possible for me to make a custom VXAce script without learning some bulkiness of Ruby?
Never Forget you've Got a friend, Even you feel your alone, Jesus Christ is there to Love and Be with you when your alone
6000 Plugins for RPG Maker MV, Pixel RPG Icons, & Reboot Pixel Font | RPG Maker News #38

Why not smash a guitar on your foes? Ability to play said guitar not included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rauro