Showing Animations for Healing Spells in RM2000

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by Kirbster, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Kirbster

Kirbster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Hey all, hoping to get some closure on this vexing old problem.

We all know that in RPG Maker 2000, the front-view battle system means you only see the battle animations for attacks that target the enemy, regardless of the source. But is there a way to cheat this with self-targeting spells the party might cast? I've tried having an attack be a Switch, which handles the problem of playing the animation of choice, but the in-battle Event commands aren't robust enough to let you choose who you're targeting with a healing spell, for instance.

Just curious if anyone's got a solution for this - and by the way, even if it's the type of thing that involves including a page or more of Event commands on each individual battle composition, I'm prepared to do that!

JosephSeraph likes this.
  2. Kirbster

Kirbster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Nothing? Nobody? Do the RPG Maker forums tremble in the wake of such an insoluble ordeal?

3. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    There's no real way to do that that way unfortunately, yeah. However, one thing I've been wanting to play around that could be interesting for you, is auto-targeting skills. So you can have a spell that auto-heals your weakest party member, for instance. If you apply this consistently through every form of healing, for example, it won't be jarring.

There's lots of stuff on 2k3 that would make this possible on 2000 -- for instance, the ability to use state checks in battle conditional branches -- but rm2000 is really outdated when compared to the wealth of things 2003 can do, especially with the Maniacs patch.

You shouldn't really have too much trouble making your own battle system with eventing on 2003 by the way, not nowadays at least!

4. Kirbster

Kirbster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Ah... most unfortunate. The auto-heal is interesting but doesn't sit right with me. The other option I was considering was only having spells that heal the entire party - that would be easy to program - but again, it would feel like something is missing if there are no single-target abilities. Especially weird if status-healing (even death!) moves hit everyone as well!

Well, thanks for the input. I'll try to figure out where to go from there.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  5. Thanatos

Thanatos Crixus Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    JosephSeraph likes this.
  6. Kirbster

Kirbster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    That is indeed cool, but I'm not sure if that's what I'd be after. More to the point, however - were you able to have healing or buffing spells display an animation with the side-view here?

7. Thanatos

Thanatos Crixus Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello Kirbster!
    All healing, magic and attack animation are "Battle Animations".
    The system works for only one character and one enemy, such as Fire Emblem.
    I don't know if I can explain in a post.
    Try opening the game in Rpg Maker 2000 and analyzing how it was done.