BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Had a lot of trouble deciding where to post this, so if I'm in the wrong spot, apologies! While this has direct implications for my game, it is more of a broad question.

To those with The Mapping (Or other Artistic) Skills...

How would you show perspective on a map with very tall buildings and sky bridges (without parallax)

For example, imagine these stairs are supposed to represent having gone up a fairly high distance:
upload_2017-6-16_0-2-46.png

How do you properly convey the height on a 2-D interface?

Thanks in advance!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
best option would probably be to add several irregular cliff tiles to the areas left and right of the stairs to give the impression that the land there also goes up.

Tatsumaro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portugues
Primarily Uses
RMMV
making the towers size smaller as you go trow the stairs.

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
You need to provide more visual information to the player. Stairs and shadow distance aren't enough. Also the pillars are not helping; I can see the pillar are growing in size, but there's no visual clue that the stairs is going up too.

Show that the stairs are somehow connected to a certain height of the pillar. I managed to achieve this by splitting the stairs in multiple sections and making some balconies.

In your case, you should also connect a full-visible pillar or a wall structure to the top, to show the player how tall is your building.

Briefly, when working with stairs, the trick is to try connecting sections of your structure to other elements of the map to provide height information. It can be a tall tree, a pillar, a cliff, a wall, another building, for instance. As more information you give, better your tall structure will look.

Here's a screenshot for reference.

SS_Suport_RPGMAKER2.png

Last edited:

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was intrigued by your question and started playing with a map. I think breaking up the stairs would help, and rearranging to towers to the sides. They don't feel connected to the stairs in your example.

There's an image with some ideas that might help.

Map004.png
I think the bottom left one works best.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the great ideas! I appreciate it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

illuminatigirl.png
Illuminati may be just a cover-up for the actual secret society of Illuminaughty. :kaojoy:
Got distracted... again. So now I'm on project.... 5? 6? I can't even remember off the top of my head how many plugins I have in the works. Though I blame the latest two on a coding youtuber I watch occasionally. He codes in C++ but walks through the process well enough that it inspires me to do similar things for JS plugins. So... blame him for my lack of activity. lol
It's my birthday today! Mom and I went to my favorite Japanese restaurant for lunch and they gave me a Japanese dessert as a birthday surprise. Their salad is SO GOOD. Now we're back home chilling!
Game Theory is great to practice and all... but it is zero substitute for playtesting a game and saying, "Am I having fun?".
Orbiting the cactus
unborn180.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fercha-AT