BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've read through the user guide and the scene controls, and I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for, although I'm sure it's an easy setting that I'm somehow missing.

Goal:
I am wanting text to appear line by line going down the page, but without prior lines disappearing. At the end, I would wipe them all.

Current Attempts:
If I put all lines into the same Show Text, they all appear or disappear together. When I put each line in its own Show Text, prior lines are erased. I've looked through Text Settings and Text Defaults and don't see anything to control auto-erase.

I feel like there's some way to monkey with Text Settings/Defaults and a combination of the Effects, Duration, and Appear/Disappear settings, but I can't figure out what that is.... And maybe that's overly complicated.

As mentioned, this seems like this should be easy (and I'm sure I'll feel sheepish once I get the answer), but right now it's eluding me.

--EDIT: Also forgot to mention, I tried using the wait text codes at the end of each line {W:250}, and they didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help!

FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a text code you can use: it's {W:A}. It make the scene wait for input like a key or button press. Just use it after every line you want to be displayed without being erased after the next input.

If you want to make all the previous lines disappear after the next input, instead, you can either create a new show message or use the text code {P} (if Auto Erase is ON)/{CP} (if Auto Erase if OFF).

You can also use Auto Erase in message settings, which I think is the best idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the quick input.

I don't want to use {W:A} because I don't want to have to wait on user input. I thought {W:ms} would work for what I'm going for, but it wouldn't work in the Show Text command (as opposed to Show Message); I'm not sure if there's something else I need to be adjusting, or if it's supposed to.

Do the AutoErase settings in Messages apply to Show Text as well? If so, that would almost certainly solve my problem.

Thanks!

FoxySeta

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to be clear, have you directly typed {W:ms} or something like {W:250}? Because ms is actually the argument placeholder.

Nope, Auto Erase is just for messages, but you can easily event something to erase your texts.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@FoxySeta - I typed {W:250}
@Archeia - I guess I didn't know the difference caused a change. I got the impression that NVL vs ADV were just demonstrations of how the tool could be used. In my specific story, most of it plays out like an adventure, but interludes are being added in more like novel mode.

Thanks

FoxySeta

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
{W:___} hasn't worked with me the first times either. Dunno why tough.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@FoxySeta - I typed {W:250}
@Archeia - I guess I didn't know the difference caused a change. I got the impression that NVL vs ADV were just demonstrations of how the tool could be used. In my specific story, most of it plays out like an adventure, but interludes are being added in more like novel mode.

Thanks

Based on what you're describing and wanting wait times though, it seems like just using NVL mode would fit your needs much better, especially since message codes work there. You can also try message area codes to have an output similar to this:

upload_2018-1-6_7-12-38.png
upload_2018-1-6_7-13-19.png
upload_2018-1-6_7-13-35.png

Last edited:

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got it! Perfect, thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Orbiting the cactus
unborn180.png
Here's this for an idea I might do: A Touhou RPG set in the universe of the Hoi4 mod "The New Order: Last Days of Europe". Expect BurgSys Yukari, the Great Fairy Trial, and funni clock Flandre
The thing I don't like about VRMMORPG anime is that they're unrealistic. I mean, we know we have a lot of ping issues, latency, and desync. Would be funny if you shoot a player and they immediately teleport somewhere because "ha, your internet suck!".
I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvikovv