Extremely Hardfork
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How I want it to work : 

The battle initiates, just like the default system a background comes in and the battle windows as usual.

However there are now 7 "seats" - spots on the battle scene. 

Positioned like this :

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@                                                 @

@   |1|   |2|   |3|   |4|   |5|   |6|   |7|   @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@ Battle commands window         @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

| | -> a seat - spot

@ -> Screen and window limits 

At the beginning of the battle the friendly actors are on the seat 2 (|2|)

while enemies are on seat 6 (|6|

Each player and monster for his action he can : 

• Move one spot backwards or forward  ( if he is at seat 2 (|2|) he can move to seat 3 (|3|) or seat 1 (|1|))  
  • and Attack.
Now for the nice part: 

Ranged attacks

For each skill , the player may place a Notetag to make them Ranged attacks. The same notetag will include the Max Range of the skill , as well as if it is Linear or not.

Ranged attacks, as the name suggests, will allow the player to attack enemies or friendlies on non-adjacent seats.

Max range : Maximum number of seats that can be between user and target

Linear or not: Whether the skill automatically targets the  first occupied seat in the direction of the player chooses or not.

Maybe the notetag can be like this <ranged (maxRange) (linear_or_not)>

Example 

<range 3 true>

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@    1    0    1     2     3                 @

@          P           E    E                 @

@   |1|   |2|   |3|   |4|   |5|   |6|   |7|   @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

| | = Seats not reached with skill.

P = Player

E = Enemy

| | = Seats within reach of the skill

So in this example the player can either choose to attack the seat 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. 
However because it is a linear ranged skill if he chooses to attack the enemy in seat 5 the skill will automatically hit the enemy on seat 4. 

If the notetage was this <range 3 false> then if the player chose the enemy on seat 5 that would be the one he would attack.

Area of Effect attacks

In addition to the notetag about ranged attacks. There will also be one for skills with an area of effect. The player will be able to select how wide the area of effect is .

So a notetag could be like this < AoE (area_size)>

Example <AoE 3>

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@    1    0    1     2     3                 @

@          P           E    E                 @

@   |1|   |2|   |3|   |4|   |5|   |6|   |7|   @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

| | = Seats not affected with skill.

P = Player

E = Enemy

| | = Seats affected by the skill

So when the player uses the skill, it automatically affects all seats within the area of effect.

The center of the skill will always be the user unless he also uses the notetag for ranged attacks.

Example for having both Notetags:

<range 6 false>

<AoE 1>

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@                             1     0     1    @  Seats counted for the Area of effect

@    1    0    1     2     3    4     5    @  Seats counted for the range

@          P                 E     #     E   @

@   |1|   |2|   |3|   |4|   |5|   |6|   |7|   @

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

| | = Seats not reached with skill.

P = Player

E = Enemy

| | = Seats within range of the skill

# = Seat selected as the skill center (as target)

| | = Seats affected by the skill

Other additions

• Attacks of Opportunity [When an enemy tries to retreat from a seat adjacent to a player, he is automatically attack by the player that was adjacent to him before he moved away]
  • Skills that increase movement speed [ You cast this spell and can move two seats for the turn ]
  • Skills that summon obstacles [ So lets just say that a player summons a wall of ice , that blocks movement for the enemies and friendlies. Until its health depletes it blocks movement.]
  • Acrobatics skill [ A skill that allows a player or enemy to jump above an obstacle - opponent, this action provokes attack of Opportunity]
  • Skills that create traps [ A player casts Ice glyph on a seat, when the enemy steps on it he freezes]

Essential thoughts:

It is necessary to note that actually players and enemies will not target their opponents directly but the seat on which their enemy is on.

Well the number of seats is not necessarily limited to 7, they can be more. Also the screen may be able to scroll to the right or left (but this is optional).

In order to escape, an actor must be on either seat 1 or seat 7 ( first or last seat from right to left)

There can be other stuff implemented in this battle system.

Thanks for reading :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

just destroyed hours of work again. i don't know why I bother.
World Map for the inside of my main character's head. Every spot is an area that either occupies his thoughts or staples of everyone's "headspace"
How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Germelshausen