Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ok if im being honest.... i dont really see the appeal of sideview..... it increases the file size of the game, and the graphics for it are hard to come by/make, well not really hard but time consuming, i mean other than offering some visually pleasing effects, whats the point

now i'm not saying front view is better, it is just easier to work with

i would like to hear some opinions either way on what you all think is better

HawkZombie

Lord of Shadow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it's really down to what style fits the game. In my horror game, I'm using front view, because I'm doing something of an homage to the NES game Sweet Home, and that used a front view system.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game play tends to be a LOT more visual with the sideview system which in turn can make for a more pleasing game play experience in my mind. Don't get me wrong, front view can have it's merits too, but done poorly it can be way more monotonous than sideview.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Front view are liked by dungeon crawlers players because that's their type of game, they've been used to it. It's difficult to appeal outside that niche without really cool visual art. Otherwise side view is prefered for classic rpgs, donc ask me why and when that shift happened even Dragon quest serie is side view now.

Though, I can't wait to play Etrian Odyssey 5 (front view). You should try serie guys, way more balanced and noob friendly than Shin Megami Tensei, lol

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've always had a preference for front view, first RPGs being Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star. In a way it's more immersive and personal as well faster. I do understand the appeal of side view and how it has more eye candy, but like both views it can look bad/bland without the proper investment. It's just easier to pick out with front view because there is less going on.

I say that Etrian Odyssey, Persona Q and Phantasy Star 4 handled front view amazingly. Plus simple things like screen shakes upon player or heavy impacts, zoom ins on the enemy for melee attacks and zoom outs for AoE magic for example adds a dynamic to battles rather than feeling "static". Like @Chaos17 added, visual art is VERY important for front view and the HUD.

Another thing I've noticed is that most games that use front view tend to have better designed battles. Much more tactical as opposed to most side view games which also have a tendency to be flashy/ pretty. Not harping on side view, but I really like in-depth complex battles and number crunching (I also prefer lower parameter games as well lol).

Though, I can't wait to play Etrian Odyssey 5 (front view). You should try serie guys, way more balanced and noob friendly than Shin Megami Tensei, lol
More balanced yes, more noob friendly? Maybe 4 onwards, but the first 3? Hehe...~

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Side view battles can use action sequences and better animations for special attacks. In a world of VX Ace games with front view battles, using side view and doing it well can make your game stand out.

Which is important. You want to be different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What is your problem procrastination and distraction?
nio kasgami wrote on Galenmereth's profile.
bro U back! :D
Procrastinated so badly that i accidentally painstakingly recreated small details from RPG Maker 2000 into MV instead of working on my normal project, whoops.
Just imagine, MZ got released while still on summer sale and they decided to discount their game. lol.
Now that I found an accessible composing software, all the melodies that only lived inside my head so far can come to life. I LOVE this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBarber1