Sideview Battler Glitch on Deployment (Yanfly Animation) [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by BreakerZero, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Exactly as it says. For whatever reason (and this is even without encryption) the side view animations I have using the respective Yanfly plugin won't do ****. Specifically, when testing after export (and ONLY after export, the editor play test is not affected) I seem to get stuck with a major, game-breaking issue as the first encounter completely fails to load the sprite sheet (slime variant one, buffed inescapable) and instead crashes with the following message:

Any ideas on what's happening? As of now this is only being observed when testing in deployment and not from the editor.

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    when you deploy the game, is the iamge of the sv_actors/SV_Slime.png in the deployment? if you check that folder?
    it might be an issue on exporting, I dont know if you a licensed or pirated version of MV?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    please give the entire filepath to the file (beginning with the drive letter and not limited to the subdirectory) and give a screenshot of the console (F8) when that error message happens. we can't find what mistake you made if you don't show us the full info.

4. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As I said it occurred during a deployment test, not from the editor. I'll check in both situations, though... just in case I missed something. It should've been an easy copy/paste of the note tags because it is literally the same sprite sheet as the main slime definition for that part of the game as an unanticipated, dawn of day one ambush.

EDIT: Standard play test is clear so I don't have anything I can give from any sort of debug console. And I swear I had everything copied over that I require for this.

EDIT 2: I'm also totally legit so I have no clue as to what kind of issues there could be with that. Registered during a sale on the RPG Maker website in fact. Then again, I did have to reinstall to fix an issue with running an update import on the extended generator tool but that's about it in terms of possible verification issues.

EDIT 3: The project export is C:\Users\[CENSORED]\Documents\Output\win32\[CENSORED]\img\sv_actors (note that what I censored is relative to identity and project vectors in the file system so as to protect my innocence in this for all the obvious reasons thereof).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problem with your "censored" is that I was asking to check if any foldername of the path contains letters that are not allowed under networking rules.
    Due to some stupid overrides for "making things easier for users", Microsoft Windows allows you to use letters and signs in its folders that are not allowed anywhere else, especially under networking rules. Having one of those illegal letters in that path will cause the "unable to load" error as soon as you get away from windows (and sometimes even in windows) - exactly like you describe.

Please copy your entire project to a different folder that contains ONLY latin letters and absolutely no spaces or special signs. then test it again.

6. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Show us a screenshot of your img/sv_actors folder so we can double check the file exists and is spelled correctly

7. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Two things here. I did find some files that didn't belong there (although none of them were related to this but I pulled 'em anyway seeing they're confidential source assets). Second, I kept the path this time - reason I didn't do so before was for identity and concept protection but for the purpose of verification I'll make an exception here. I still had to censor a few unrelated things on concern of spoilers, but otherwise it's all there.

[​IMG]

8. Aloe Guvner

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was thinking it might be the casing of the filename -- "sv_slime.png" is different than "SV_Slime.png" -- but that looks fine based on the error message pasted into the first post.

If you don't mind, please post a screenshot of the actual error message + the notetag just to triple check the spelling/file path.

Are you deploying to .exe, web browser, or mobile?

9. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Again, it works during playtest but not otherwise. But just in case, here's the notetag setup:

Code:
    <Sideview Battler: SV_Slime>
    <Sideview Hide Shadow>
    <Sideview Collapse>
    <Sideview Abnormal Motion: walk>
    <Sideview Dying Motion: walk>
    <Sideview Dead Motion: walk>
    Also, it's the same on the primary definition as it is with the opening ambush definition.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    can you give us the filepath to your project directory (not the output directory, but the directory in which the projects lies and where the playtest works)?
    And which options did you use on deployment?

11. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seeing this is based around notetags I didn't encrypt those particular assets like I did the others (f***s up a bunch of plugins that I've used before so I didn't want to risk not having it work because of that). If this ends up being an exception I'm probably gonna be ordering chicken (would be roast crow of course but that's overkill compared to just heading for the nearest KFC).

12. Aloe Guvner

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry, I'm almost out of ideas. It seems like the notetag, filename, and error message all say the same thing.

This is for the triple-check.

If it's web browser, very easy to check the "Network" tab in the dev tools to see what file it was *attempting* to load and compare that to the real file. Mobile is possible but you have to be familiar with Android Studio / xCode. .exe would need a small workaround coded to open the dev tools in a deployed version.

13. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I should probably note that this is a standard win32 deployment (in case it wasn't obvious from the path name earlier). But I do have an idea that may work for this based on your input.

EDIT: No go. Expects everything to be on specific path names using the Win32 deployment so ultimately the Chromium method didn't work. That and the attempt p***ed off an unrelated plugin or two.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BreakerZero
    can you please answer the questions we have?
    It is extremely irritating that you expect us to help you, but ignore half the questions that we have to see if we can find your problem.
    I asked
    Additionally, please check if your project directory contains a WWW folder. And again that question goes about your project directory where everything works and not about the deployment directory.
    Just asnwer these questions, don't change anything, just so that we can confirm or deny some other possible causes.

15. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Again, it's for win32. Since I'm otherwise at loss for explanation I'm going to go ahead and provide the project source path which is as follows:

I'm also going to run a duplicate copy to see if the alphanumeric part (win32) tripped this up which I am prepared to do based on this observation (or correct me otherwise).

EDIT: No such luck on the duplication. Also, the folder structure is set up as required.

EDIT 2: Cue mic drop. This may end up being the one exception to the encryption rule for plugins as I suspected it could, but I'm gonna need one more test of the ambush segment to confirm.

EDIT 3: Confirmed in principle. After I test the field preparation trial I should have a full confirmation.

EDIT 4: Totally confirmed. The one asset that I didn't copy over unencrypted and it still loaded up. If the pattern holds from this point on I'm calling done deal. As for the setup itself, I did have to load down the actor definitions with associated secondary profiles that match every single enemy type.

16. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BAD IDEA
    It has nothing to do with your error, but it is a very bad idea to have your working project directory inside a cloudsync'ed folder.
    RMMV (all RMs really) access their files like a database, they do NOT handle them through regular file access. As a result, if a cloudsync happens at the same time as the editor is open, that has a chance of completely destroying any and all project data.
    You can use the cloud for manual backups and distribution, but you should never use RMMV to open a project that is stored in such a way and then work on it.

And yes, you already answered "Win32" several times - but that is exactly why I asked again and again what deployment options you used.
    First there is no win32 option because there is no difference between win32 and win64 for this - and second the deployment has more options than just the target operating system. so again: What options did you select on the window for deployment? Please list every option you used or not used.

and you still haven't answered my last question: is there a WWW folder inside the project folder of your working directory?

Aloe Guvner likes this.
  17. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which should've been read as a yes to that question, because it's all there. As for my cloud saves, I compensate where I can... and I'm already used to editing my project from one place at a time because of that. That's not to say that accidental session duplication doesn't happen, but I do at least get duplicate files when the system detects that kind of thing (if I catch a break, at least - remote workload during holiday downtime is what pushed me into the direction of individualized, device-based editing sessions to minimize the chance of that kind of thing from happening).

EDIT: As stated above I tested with encryption (which as stated required definitions in both the actors section as well as for enemies/troops) and that's what seems to have resolved the issue.

18. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ERROR FOUND

There MUST NEVER BE a folder WWW inside your project folder - that is why your playtest works despite you having completely bungled your true project.
    The WWW folder is created on deployment only, and if there is one such folder inside your project directory that means that at one time in the past you made the mistake of deploying your game into your project folder instead of an output folder. And that had redirected all playtests to the deployed version, ignoring any and all changes the editor made to the working version.
    That is why your playtest always worked (it went to the old version) despite all errors you made into the project itself while trying to solve the problems you found.

Please enter the www folder and look at the date when those files were created - that is the last time your playtest worked correctly, because since you deployed into your project. Do not delete it yet, because you might need that data to get your project working again.

1) make a copy of your working project.
    2) inside the copy, delete the www folder
    3) make a NEW PROJECT
    4) copy the packages.json from the new project to the copy where you deleted the www folder
    5) the copy is now repaired, but launching a playtest in the copy will probably get you the errors you have in your last deployed version into the playtest itself, and you'll now have to fix them in your project (with the correct error messages there).

depending on what you changed and how many additional errors you created while looking for the problem, it might or might not be easier to copy the contents of the old deployed version into the new project directory - after all that deployed version was the last time everything worked correctly.

19. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The "www in development files" was never an issue - I was referring to the deployment because that's what I thought you were referring to. The project is completely intact for development purposes, and the problem was that it wasn't reading the side view for anything until I forced encryption on export with the long list of parallel actor definitions.

Quick edit for the avoidance of doubt:
    [​IMG]

EDIT 2: Only the deployment was affected. The project still works in the editor, however forcing the encryption seems to have resolved the issue with the deployed version. I'm running the final package that I compiled with the Enigma tool as a final verification.

Additionally, since the editor has worked the whole time your "error found" doesn't make sense here (and therefore borders on hijacked discussion which basically goes against ethics 'round these parts).

20. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BreakerZero then why did you answer the question "is there a folder www inside your project folder of your working directory" with "yes, it's all there"?
    The worst thing anyone can do while bughunting is making assumptions on what the mentor means and answering the assumption instead of what was really asked. Because that almost always ends up with a mess.

and by the way - I wasn't asking about encryption alone - there are certain cases where the option "exclude unused files" removes required files due to a plugin writer not using the required options in his code and that would have been another possible cause (with known solutions as well).

So if you want help, please take care to answer the questions that are asked instead of the ones that you dream about, especially if they are asked again and again, because that means that your dreamed up answer hasn't answered the points that the questioner wanted to be answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.