Sideview Enemy Sprite misbehaves quite a bit.

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by LakituAl, Mar 1, 2019.

1. LakituAl

LakituAl Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made a set of sprite sketches today for an animated sideview enemy, but somehow it refuses to behave properly no matter what I do. I made a new project with only the one asset and necessary plugins but it still refuses to work.

Here's my plugins:
    I cry.png

When Sideview Battler is placed above AnimatedSVEnemies and I run the game, the sprite stays in place and cycles through the frames properly, but crops the picture into oblivion:
    why have you forsakennnnnn ME.png
    When AnimatedSVEnemies is placed above Sideview Battler the picture isn't cropped anymore, BUT the enemy refuses to stay in place, placing itself forward every frame and going back to its original location when the animation loops.
    why have you forsaken me.png

All this is using the AnimatedSV and SVBattler's default settings.
    Here's the tags I'm using in the enemy's note box.

<Sideview Battler: 001_pnn>
    <Sideview Battler Size: 200,300>
    <Scale Sprite: 75%>
    <Floating>
    <Sideview Battler Frames: 5>
    <Sideview Frame Speed: 10>
    <Sideview Idle Motion: Walk>
    <Sideview Battler Motion>
    Name: Walk
    Index: 0
    Frames: 5
    Loop
    </Sideview Battler Motion>

Worth nothing I did some testing with another picture that is actually square and it still does the same thing, so the size is not a problem. What am I doing wrong?

TheTitan99 likes this.
  2. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    What does your full sprite sheet look like for your custom side view enemy? Does it follow the same layout as the side view sheets for player characters? AFAIK as long as your following the same layout as the sv actors sheets, the only tag you need to put in the enemy is the <Sideview Battler: Name> tag. You shouldn't need any other tags unless you are using a layout of sprites that differs from the default sprite layout.
    To make things a little easier on yourself, for now, until you can get more comfortable with all the additional options available to you in the code, I would suggest formatting your sprite sheet to follow the standard layout. Note, your overall sprite sheet can be larger, as it will cut it into frames based on percentage. Ækashics side view battlers are a great start as some of them are really big compared to normal sv actor sheets, and they work just fine with that one note tag.

3. LakituAl

LakituAl Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's the sprite sheet. WIP, obviously.
    001_pnn.png
    Regardless, the sprite sheet is not the problem. I tried with a regular sprite sheet made with RMMV's character creator and the result is the same: it either crops the picture leaving only the top of the head or it does show all the frames correctly but makes them fly all across the screen.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is not the same format as the MV sideview characters. Look at the default ones to see how they're set out - 3 frames per action.

If it's also happening with a spritesheet generated by the character generator, then the issue is with your plugins (or the way you're setting them up). Go back to the default (disable ALL of your plugins) and see if the character generator ones work now. Then enable your plugins, one at a time, until the issue starts happening again. Then check how you've got that plugin set up, including the note tags. You've clearly got something set up wrong in order for it to happen with the default sprites.

Also, if that is really your sprite, and you have a white background, you're going to have a horrible time trying to get rid of the background when you're done with it. Unless that's a separate layer.

5. Isaac The Red

First Language:
    Gibberish
    With that plugin list there's nothing conflicting, its the format of that sprite sheet. it's a single animation and doesn't follow what would be the same indexing, so the note tags used are confusing the plugins. Use ONLY <Sideview Battler: Actor1_1> in the note box of an enemy, and put that enemy in a troop. This will use Harolds SV battler for the sprite sheet. Don't use any other notetags, just the one provided. This will be the basic vanilla test of the SV enemies plugin. If your having trouble designing your spritesheet around the base format, take one of the defaultsheets into your image editing software of choice and blow it up and design your sprites on a separate layer using the default sprites as a guide for what animation frames are being used for each section of the sheet.

As an aside to Shaz's comment about the sprite, it looks like your handdrawing and then scanning things in to use for your sprite sheet. Not a terrible way to do things, but I would invest in a drawing tablet so you can ink over things on a separate layer. It really is hard to completely remove the white from under a handdrawn image directly unless your really really familiar with photoshop. [Like cleaning up raw scans for a manga translation for example.]

Give us an update after trying the above test out, if your getting errors there please screenshot and/or upload a minimal test project [All non essential resources removed for sizes sake please I don't want to download half a gig of resources I already have when I can just move them in from local storage if one I need is missing.] I don't mind helping, it's a good distraction from my writers block.

Shaz likes this.
  6. LakituAl

LakituAl Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello again, I've come back with me results.
    First I do wanna say my intention is to have bigger enemies with more frames, of course of course. If I don't fiddle with anything and leave everything to default things work, but what is the fun in that, right? lol

Anyways, for this I grabbed Harold and modified it a tiny bit so I could tell what frames do what and all (desaturated him and placed big ugly red numbers on every animation frame). I also duplicated his sprite sheet to test out if anything is happening because of the size. I do want enemies to be bigger than default after all.

And last, I added this in the tag box.
    <Sideview Battler: Actor1_1a>
    Name: walk
    Loop
    Frames: 6
    Speed: 10
    <Sideview Idle Motion: walk>
    I know you said not to, crystal clear frank as Frankestein, but fact of the matter is I want more frames, so this is pretty relevant to what I want. This in particular makes the idle pose 6 frames long.

Results:

When SideviewBattler goes first in the plugin list, the tags I added for the extra frames are ignored anyway. So, it looks like this.
    a frame 1 mini.jpg a frame 2 mini.jpg a frame 3 mini.jpg
    And if I use the alternate, bigger sprite sheet, it looks like this
    c frame 3 big.jpg
    Functional? Yes, but not what I want.

When AnimatedSVEnemies goes first in the Plug In list, we have a different story. My tags are no longer ignored and the idle animation now uses 3 attack animation frames extra, just as I intended for this experiment. However, our little fellow now flies all over the place with every new frame.
    b frame 1 mini.jpg b frame 2 mini.jpg b frame 5 mini.jpg b frame 6 mini.jpg Neat.
    And for the fun one, here's the result for the bigger sprite sheet:
    d frame whatever big.jpg It ignores whatever setting I try to use for resizing. Delicious.

About the aside comment: I am familiar with Photoshop, including the fact that it costs money, lol. Instead I usually hand draw the characters, ink them characters on a piece of translucent paper and then scan it to finish coloring in GIMP. Kind of roundabout, yes, but I like it. This time I just wanted a sketch as a placeholder because I would have been really upset if I finished a bunch of colored frames only for it not to work, lol. (Also, I have a tablet but I'm missing the pen. Which costs money. Oof). I appreciate your concern.

I'll check into cleaning that dummy project and getting rid of all non essentials to upload here. Thanks for your time and patience.

Attached Files:

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't muck around with order in the plugin list with Yanfly plugins. You put them in the exact order listed on the site. I'd keep them in the order in the screenshot in your original post, but experiment with moving ALL the Yanfly plugins above the YED_SideviewBattler plugin.

Also do a google search, as there are a number of threads where people had issues with the YED plugins and there is some info in there about setting things up correctly. Something in there might be helpful.

8. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

LakituAl likes this.
  9. LakituAl

LakituAl Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I do realize this. With anything else I've done that keeps things functional, but when I don't get the intended behavior by keeping them in order and half the intended behavior by switching them around, what else am I to do?

Well, I only have the cores and the action packs on the test project, so not much room for permutation there. Sure enough, I even tried turning all of the action packs off and I still get the same results.

I already did, before I even posted. I noticed this fellow right here https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/sv-animation-help.101428/#post-911938 had the exact same problem I do. So, they were directed here https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...on-extension-tutorial-plugins-required.81845/ and both threads don't really seem to have a conclusion. On top of that, the plugin they are showing there seems to be for adding extra frames for a playable character, and I already achieved that with SideviewBattler by itself.

10. TheTitan99

TheTitan99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there! I'm using this plugin. After some time, I've gotten it to work. It seems like you're not using all the notetags! These are my notetags for my first boss:

<Sideview Battler: Arbiter>

Name: walk
    Loop
    Frames: 4
    Speed: 20
    Name: damage
    Index: 1
    Loop
    Frames: 1
    Speed: 360
    Name: dead
    Index: 1
    Loop
    Frames: 1
    Speed: 360
    <Sideview Battler Size: 39, 50>
    <Sideview Width: 156>
    <Sideview Height: 100>

The Yami plugin is below Yanfly's.

The filename is "Arbiter". It currently only has 3 animations, walk, damage, and dead. Damage and dead, though, play the same single frame animation. The total file size is 156x100. Each individual frame is 39x50.

The first row is 4 cells, for the walk. The second row is 1 cell, for the dead/damage animation.

So, try placing these <Sideview Width: x> and <Sideview Height: y> tags, which have the total size of the entire sprite sheet, and let me know how it works! If it doesn't, I'll try to help some more!

LakituAl likes this.
  11. LakituAl

LakituAl Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice! So that's what I was doing wrong, I wasn't using the Width and Height tags for the spritesheet. Soon as I popped those in, it worked, both the test project and my main project. Thanks a lot mang.

TheTitan99 likes this.
  12. TheTitan99

TheTitan99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad I could help!

I always found the notetags on this plugin to be a bit cumbersome, and not the best documented. But it's a lovely plugin once you get it working!

13. Isaac The Red

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Glad we're starting to get things sorted. Yes I was being quite direct on starting out with just the basics to make sure the plugin works as intended from the the default side of things, so we could go down the list. The Animated SV Battlers plugin can be really powerfull, but It needs some good clear documentation, There are also some good tutorials on making sprite sheets with any number of frames and how to lay them out etc.

Alternately there's also the dragon bones plugin for really animated SV battlers. But I've never even attempted to do anything with that, looks really fiddly.