Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sideview Frames
By DreamX

Introduction/Features
With parameters and notetags, you can define for the frame count and frame speed for actors.

Patch Notes

v1.6 - Should now work with one frame.

v1.5e - Fixed the script causing an error when Yanfly's Sideview Enemies isn't on, and damage is now correctly applied at the end of an actor's attack motion instead of before.

v1.5 - Battlers will perform their full damage motion. Enemy sideview battlers no longer use the chant motion incorrectly. When "Motion Waiting" is set to true in Battle Engine Core, animations will take correctly take place after actors have finished their attack motion.

v1.4 - There is now a parameter to decide the default looping method.

Use <SVStraightLoop:true> on an actor or enemy to have a battler's frames loop from 1-2-3-1-2-3 instead of 1-2-3-2-1, if the parameter Straight Loop is false. This will override the parameter setting for that battler.

Use <SVStraightLoop:false> on an actor or enemy to have a battler's frames loop 1-2-3-2-1,if the parameter Straight Loop is true. This will override the parameter setting for that battler.

v1.3 Added holders configuration. You can put <holders:1> as a notetag for an enemy or actor and they can use unedited holder style sprite sheets, like those you get from the high fantasy main party packs from pvgames. Also fixes clickable selection of enemy sprites.

v1.2 Fixed problem from v1.1 that caused motions other than idle not to work correctly.

v1.1 Now loops correctly such as 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 if there are 5 frames.

How to Use
Right click the script link and select save link as.

Adjust parameters to your liking.

Parameter "Frame Number" is how many frames an actor has for motions by default.

Parameter "Frame Speed" is the frame speed an actor has for motions by default. The lower the number, the faster it is.

Parameter "Yanfly Enemy SV Frame Number" is for use with Yanfly's Animated Sideview Enemies and is the number of frames for animated SV enemies (that use the sprite sheet for different motions) by default.

Use <SVFrames:x> with x as the number for frames to override the parameter for an enemy or actor.

Use <SVFrameSpeed:x> with x as the number of frame speed to override the parameter for an actor.

Note that you will have to edit the sideview sprite sheet when you change frame number so that each motion has the number of frames you set.

Script

Compatibility

Must be placed UNDER Yanfly's Animated Sideview Enemies if you are using it.

Credit and Thanks
- DreamX

Author's Notes/Terms of Use
Free to use and modify for commercial and noncommercial games, with credit. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Been waiting for this!  Is it safe to assume since it wasn't address that the animation repeats the same way - being frame 1-2-3-4-5-3-2-1, if 5 frames of animation?

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Been waiting for this!  Is it safe to assume since it wasn't address that the animation repeats the same way - being frame 1-2-3-4-5-3-2-1, if 5 frames of animation?
The answer is no, I discovered in my test actor.  It goes straight from the final frame to the first frame.  Would it be possible to add an option to return to RMMV's normal method of going through the animation, then back in reverse before starting over?  The reason behind this is that a smooth five frame animation would end up being eight frames long to do this on the sprite sheet, which would make our new larger sprite sheets (thanks to your awesome plugin) even larger.  Example below, five frames looped, rather than eight frames on the sprite sheet.  Thanks.

cad_idle.gif

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The answer is no, I discovered in my test actor.  It goes straight from the final frame to the first frame.  Would it be possible to add an option to return to RMMV's normal method of going through the animation, then back in reverse before starting over?  The reason behind this is that a smooth five frame animation would end up being eight frames long to do this on the sprite sheet, which would make our new larger sprite sheets (thanks to your awesome plugin) even larger.  Example below, five frames looped, rather than eight frames on the sprite sheet.  Thanks.

View attachment 33185
Thanks for pointing that out. The new version should now correctly loops from 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1.

I tested with 3 and 4 frames but should be the same.

Edit: (1.2) Fixed a problem in the new version.

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for pointing that out. The new version should now correctly loops from 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1.

I tested with 3 and 4 frames but should be the same.

Edit: (1.2) Fixed a problem in the new version.
Thank you very much!

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm experiencing some strange behavior...  After doing anything when the battle starts, the actor is not longer visible.  Their shadow remains, and any animation needed plays, such as the attack or damage sprites, but the idle or ready sprites don't play.  I've retested this in a new project as well, being sure to fill in my entire sprite sheet to be sure it wasn't trying to use a set that happened to be blank.  Also, It seems if Yanfly's Battle Core plugin is turned on, regardless of being above or below sideview frames plugin, some animations still only go to frame 3.  I'm experiencing this with the damage sprites.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
v1.3 Added holders configuration. You can put <holders:1> as a notetag for an enemy or actor and they can use unedited holder style sprite sheets, like those you get from the high fantasy main party packs from pvgames. Also fixes clickable selection of enemy sprites.

I'm experiencing some strange behavior...  After doing anything when the battle starts, the actor is not longer visible.  Their shadow remains, and any animation needed plays, such as the attack or damage sprites, but the idle or ready sprites don't play.  I've retested this in a new project as well, being sure to fill in my entire sprite sheet to be sure it wasn't trying to use a set that happened to be blank.  Also, It seems if Yanfly's Battle Core plugin is turned on, regardless of being above or below sideview frames plugin, some animations still only go to frame 3.  I'm experiencing this with the damage sprites.
Can you try the latest version and let me know if it works? I haven't been running into the same issue you describe.

For reference, here's how the sprite sheet should look with 5 frames:

Test Frames 5.png

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Version 1.3 fixed the issue with the invisible actor, but the "damage" sprites still only play through frame 3 with Yanfly's Battle Core plugin running.  When Battle Core is turned off, it plays through frame 5.  Thanks for quick fixes.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Version 1.3 fixed the issue with the invisible actor, but the "damage" sprites still only play through frame 3 with Yanfly's Battle Core plugin running.  When Battle Core is turned off, it plays through frame 5.  Thanks for quick fixes.
Thanks for noticing that. I think this is because Yanfly's Battle Core engine has a fixed duration for the damage motion, whereas the default engine goes to the end of the frames instead. I'm having trouble finding the exact culprit in their script and I asked in their thread without a reply (yet) so it might be a while till I figure out how to fix it. I'm glad everything else seems to work correctly though?

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, it seems only the damage sprites stop at frame 3.  Great work, this plugin will go far to help us make quality looking games.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is just awesome, I came here to check if there was any update, before throwing meself into intensive GIMP work to adapt wildsteam and PV HF sheets to the SV format and what do I find???

HOLDERS BATTLERS SUPPORT!!!!!

You, sir just made my day brighter :)

Thanks again.

esoretal

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I joined just to ask this, haha -- is there a way an option could be added to switch the reverse looping (1-2-3-2-1) into a straight loop (1-2-3-1) if we prefer it that way? I'm making my own battle animations and the 1-2-3-2-1 loop doesn't work with what i'm trying to do, it'd be perfect otherwise! Thanks so much, I'd be really grateful!

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I joined just to ask this, haha -- is there a way an option could be added to switch the reverse looping (1-2-3-2-1) into a straight loop (1-2-3-1) if we prefer it that way? I'm making my own battle animations and the 1-2-3-2-1 loop doesn't work with what i'm trying to do, it'd be perfect otherwise! Thanks so much, I'd be really grateful!
Script(1.4)

v1.4 - There is now a parameter to decide the default looping method.

Use <SVStraightLoop:true> on an actor or enemy to have a battler's frames loop from 1-2-3-1-2-3 instead of 1-2-3-2-1, if the parameter Straight Loop is false. This will override the parameter setting for that battler.

Use <SVStraightLoop:false> on an actor or enemy to have a battler's frames loop 1-2-3-2-1,if the parameter Straight Loop is true. This will override the parameter setting for that battler.

esoretal

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahh, you're incredible!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Another issue I've come across using 5-frame animations is timing, which seems to be something controlled outside this plugin...  For example:  When attacking an enemy, the enemy takes damage on frame 2 of the character's attacking animation, because RPGMMV thinks that is the frame where contact is made.  So my enemies are taking damage before the sword swipes/pistol shoots.  Anyone have thoughts on modifying this?

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another issue I've come across using 5-frame animations is timing, which seems to be something controlled outside this plugin...  For example:  When attacking an enemy, the enemy takes damage on frame 2 of the character's attacking animation, because RPGMMV thinks that is the frame where contact is made.  So my enemies are taking damage before the sword swipes/pistol shoots.  Anyone have thoughts on modifying this?
Have you tried setting Motion Waiting in Battle Engine Core to true? That may do it.\

Edit: Nevermind, that still makes it play during rather than actor. I'll have to dig around in Yanfly's Plugins more, because it assumes 3 frames.

Edit:

v1.5 - Battlers will perform their full damage motion. Enemy sideview battlers no longer use the chant motion incorrectly. When "Motion Waiting" is set to true in Battle Engine Core, animations will take correctly take place after actors have finished their attack motion.

Snuffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, it's all working wonderfully now!  Thank you for the continued fixes and support.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, it's all working wonderfully now!  Thank you for the continued fixes and support.
No problem! Let me know if you spot anything else or have any suggestions.

Edit:

v1.5a - Fixed enemies not performing their full attack motion on motion wait.

Edit:

v1.5c - Added check to prevent negative wait time from being added

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
v1.5e - Fixed the script causing an error when Yanfly's Sideview Enemies isn't on, and damage is now correctly applied at the end of an actor's attack motion instead of before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Demo for Maze of the Lost MZ released. I would appreciate any and all feedback and constructive criticism. If you like Dungeon Crawlers and JRPG's with a hint of Metroidvania and Shadowgate/Uninvited you might like it. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/maze-of-the-lost-mz-demo-port-from-mv.127971/
Well, here it is, colored. :kaoslp:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanyeetus