RMMV Sigils of Fate, a Suikoden-inspired retro-style JRPG (Playable prototype available)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by curioushika, Dec 23, 2018.

1. curioushika

curioushika Villager Member

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sigils of Fate

This is a project that I finally got worked into after it's been bubbling in my head for quite some time. My main inspiration is from Suikoden game (which unfortunately have no further sequels), so I made this as a kind of "love letter" for the series. While I'm technically already "developing" the game at the moment, I believe that a lot of its aspects will be changed in the future, so I still consider this as a prototype.

Because I'm developing this game all by myself, I literally have no one else to give me any kind of feedback, so I really appreciate it if you're willing to give me one. :uhappy:

Also please excuse me for using the generic resources. :uswt: Unfortunately, this is the best I can do at the moment, but I as I mentioned before, a lot of things will be changed in the future, so this is not set in stone yet.

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS

Sigils of Fate’s gameplay is similar to classic JRPGs where the player explore the game’s world to unfold the story. The battle is using classic turn-based system with the characters’ status is increasing along with their level.

The characters are learning skills in a bit different way, which is by equipping sigils. Each character can use a list of skills depending on the sigils that character equips (Each characters are able to equip from 1-3 sigils) and the skills are unlocked when that character reach a specific level and amount of status.

Also the scenes from the game will be depicted in narration, just like in visual novels and RPGs like Pillars of Eternity.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS

Sigils of Fate will have 72 characters that will join your cause (about 40-50 of them will be playable.) Here are a bit of details of some of them.

• Derek (20 years old): The main character of the story. He was a fighter slave from Western Gelnica who recently just got his freedom. He is affable and has a quite optimistic point of view. Even though he’s living his whole life as a slave, he is a quick learner and quick to adapt to the situation around him although he can be quite passive and dense.
    • Luca (17 years old): A young noble who is a son of one of the influential noble from East Gelnica. He bears a unique sigil called the “Order Sigil” which has the power to completely influence a being. He used his sigil to break Derek free from the spell of his enslaver. Luca is introverted and doesn’t talk much to a person that he doesn’t know well, but he has a high curiosity and will not hesitate to ask something that interests him. He’s also tends to easily trust someone who were kind to him whether they are sincere or not.
    • Zara (Age unknown, but she looks like in her early 30s): A mysterious seer who claims that she knows the Goddess better than herself. A blatantly boastful statement, but she seems to actually know the Goddess personally as she’s able to describe the Her vividly while she knows nothing at all about her own past. She says that she’s looking for the one who was touched by the Goddess to guide them on finding 72 people who each represent the Goddess’ traits, and she says that Derek is the one who is able to do that. She’s extroverted and easy-going who can comfortably talk to anyone. But she’s also promiscuous and will shamelessly flirts on any men and women that she finds interesting.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT

Sigils are magical stones, believed to be gift from the Goddess to humans, with exceptional power that they can harness to help them doing many things from mundane chores to battling vile creatures. But as the research goes on, humans started to weaponize sigils as an instrument of war to conquer each other.

The continent of Uthradia was actually a whole continent that is ruled by great four great nations: Gelnica, Tenseika, Askara and Luxus. The four nations were able to coexist in a relative peace at first, but when the development of sigil as weapon reached its peak, they became hellbent to conquer one another which caused a great war that lasts for five years. This war caused the continent to be separated into pieces. Realizing this, the emperor of the four empires decided to form a peace treaty in which each of the emperor are free to develop their own empire without getting in the way of others. This treaty is able to make them coexist again peacefully. Until 50 years later, one of the nations seems had a intention to break the treaty to wage another war.

Derek was a fighter slave who lived in Western Gelnica, which is notoriously known for its noble who has tendency to treat their slaves exceptionally bad. Derek always been treated cruelly by his master and he was accepting his fate as a slave for as long as he remembers he had been a slave since he was born, but one day he got a chance to escape which lead him to a string of events that will change his life and the fate of all the four great nations.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT

The game is set on Uthradia continent which consists of four great nations:

• Gelnica Empire: An Empire which has separated regions ruled by a Noble. Their main commodity is slave trading and slave deathmatch, which are frowned upon by the other nations except Tenseika.
    • Tenseika Empire: An Empire which holds their traditions since ancient times. They have a caste system in which the royal family sits on the top of it. Families from the lower caste tier are obligated to serve those of the higher ranks. Tenseika is the only nation who are willing to do slave trading with Gelnica. The slaves traded from there are considered as the most bottom tier of the caste. Even though they are treated better than slaves in Gelnica, they are still treated roughly and unjust by the families of the higher caste.
    • Askara Republic: Askara is a former Empire which is changed into a republic nation lead by a president which is elected by the people. Askara consists of three regions: west, central and east. Each of Askaran region has an autonomy and they have their own ruler, but they are also still united and governed by the president.
    • Luxus Kingdom: A kingdom which used to be ruthless and most aggressive among the four nations. However, the current king prefers more peaceful approach which makes him popular with his people, albeit some other people consider that as a weakness.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK

Thank you very much for reading and visiting. :kaojoy:I hope you'll have a nice day :kaohi:

Finnuval and Canini like this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I am unfortunately not too familiar with Suikoden but this sounds fun. I don’t think anyone here willing to playtest Will be bothered by usage of the defeault graphics. In fact, it is more important to see that your gameplay ideas works the way you want them!

curioushika likes this.
  3. curioushika

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Canini Thank you so much for the kind words :kaojoy:
    Yeah, I'm really glad if they're fine with it, but I couldn't help but feel a bit worried because not many people use 100% default graphics like this. :oswt:

4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've always loved the Suikoden games so this sounds interesting. Don't have the time to playtest for now though but I will be watching this :)
    Also if you need to bounce ideas around with someone you can always PM me

curioushika likes this.
  5. curioushika

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval Hi, thank you so much for taking an interest in this game :kaojoy:
    Feel free to PM me too if you have any question about the game. :kaohi:

Finnuval likes this.