Silenity's Let's Plays & First Impressions

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Silenity, Dec 20, 2018.

1. hadecynn

hadecynn Abyss of Oblivion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Silenity likes this.
  2. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Silenity I think I had a brainwave. I could have the actors regenerate 1/4 of max HP and 1/8 of max MP after every battle -- I might need a script for that, not sure (no, it's easy to do this with eventing). But that would ease the burden on limited resources, as well as cutting down on the amount of manual healing required. What do you think, good or bad idea, or would you need to play through it again to decide?

Silenity likes this.
  3. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not a bad way to go about things! It would definitely help in some of the earlier battles!

Just finished a quick playthrough! The custom artwork and scenes you have are awesome! Love how in depth the abilities and attributes are.
    The puzzle design and mapping is also really nice.
    The combat is fun and interesting. I definitely still suck at timed attack systems.
    But it's not overly punishing if you don't get it right, which I'm thankful for.
    The boss battle was really challenging but definitely fun!
    My only gripe is the battles are a bit too frequent for how long they take because of ATB, animations, etc.
    Here's the video!

Tw0Face and MushroomCake28 like this.
  4. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Silenity Thanks for playing?

So do you think I should make battles shorter (less enemies with less hp), or simply reduce the encounter rate?

Silenity likes this.
  5. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perhaps a mix of both? I think less HP would do fine. Because you have some cool AOE skills and it would suck to never be able to use them to their full potential! Reducing the encounter rate in conjunction will help too!
    Will definitely play it some more! Video still uploading right now so the link is dead for another 20~ minutes!

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  6. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright thanks! I'll try the following:
    1) Lower encounter rate.
    2) Reduce the overall number of enemies in battle (was thinking about 3-4 in average instead of 4-5).
    3) Reduce a bit the enemies' hp pool, but keep their other stats.

Silenity likes this.
  7. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heyoo. So I just finished playing up your game. Whew. Okay.
    Maybe you just pushed this out really quickly. But oh god it's so bad.
    I don't mean to be overly harsh but it's painful. The only redeeming quality is the pure hilarious randomness in the dialogue.
    Here's the video for some more thoughts of mine.

Sounds good! I'd love to give it a full playthrough next time with tutorial and all.

Heya! Had a lot of fun with this one. Definitely my favorite LP so far.
    The battle mechanics started out simplistic but had a lot of depth to it.
    I really like the sound effects and animations. They alone feel rewarding.
    The custom artwork and scenes were fantastic.
    Only problems I really saw during my playthrough of the first dungeon was the floors seemed a bit repetitive and not being able to save a little bit earlier.
    It's a quick, fun, dungeon crawler and I definitely enjoyed playing your game!
    Here's the video!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Tw0Face, Dama and MushroomCake28 like this.
  8. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Silenity Okay, so just watched your gameplay of my game, and I have to say... congratulations on beating the boss without using one of the biggest part of the battle system: the SKILL ability system hahaha xD.

I know it's confusing, but abilities are divided into 2 categories: the ones that affect a hero (the one you used), and the ones that affect a skill. To view the abilities attached to a skill, you need to select it via the status menu -> skill -> click on it. There you can upgrade the skills' abilities similarly to the hero abilities. It should look like this:

[​IMG]

Also, to answer your question about plugins, I created them myself (except for a keyboard input plugin and one map camera plugin).

EDIT: I know the ability system is complex, and that's partially the reason why I have a tutorial that long (which isn't ideal for let's play, I know). In the complete game, it is introduced gradually.

Silenity likes this.
  9. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks.
    The dungeons are linears...I accept that mistake. They look simple and boring. Gonna make them catch players’ eyes. I mean make the maps beautiful but challenging.

Battle system....I hate First Person View battle coz no characters’ faces to see what’s happening and it’s my challenge. I used DOOM 1993 concept (Doomguy’s face) and made sv sprites for the characters. We can see their reaction; attack, hurt, poison, dead, ect.

But when I saw you spamming ‘A’ button (just “Attack”), that’s my mistake again. I made you bored coz the battle was easy. Except ‘slimes’ and the final boss. Slime used ‘Ice’ attacking Kaiz, 0 damage, pathetic. Yes! Kaiz has high Magic Defence and I gonna say “yup, it’s pathetic”.

Buying ‘EXP’ was just another option but yet, lil’ mistake. I felt like ‘Pay to win’ but not real money, but a shortcut to win.

Last, my English still sucks.

Thanks for the feedback. I can learn those mistakes and fix them.

p/s: I see you play fast. You read and skip the dialogues as fast as you can. That kinda me.

Silenity likes this.
  10. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ha, yeah, I probably should have done the tutorial. I'll definitely have to give it a replay from beginning to end with with the tutorial next time.
    I'll break it up into a multi part video! There's a lot of cool complex systems that I'll have to learn. Really cool game still!

No problem! Thanks for letting me play your game! Hope you can make some improvements! Let me have a go at it again when you've got a good build going.

Got another video of a game made by @Lorenze
    She Dreams Elsewhere! I love the dialogue in this game and the story is great!
    Here's the video!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Lorenze, Tw0Face and MushroomCake28 like this.
  11. Dama

Dama Veteran Veteran

Thanks for playing. From the video I can find what I'm lacking. Most important one is that there's a high chance that the player doesn't know about what to do. I myself look everywhere in games and I thought other players are mostly like me. But the better way is to always tell player what to do. My last year IGMC title was completely silent and no dialogue and disqualified, I think the players didn't know what's going on, done nothing and just went through the quick ending.
    btw in alien's level you didn't talk to one of them, that's why you couldn't go further. if you're still interested in last part, you can check it out at my LP threat. I tried the most to keep low the amount of dialogues.
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/damas-lets-play-igmc2018.103370/

And about other things in the game, I didn't have much time, I had to rush like I canceled the battles and changed the story specially the ending to match a battle less game. Maybe someday I make the other one.
    I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry for grammatical and vocabulary mistakes, but I did some vocabulary mistake intentionally, like meat and not meet.
    Next, for showing emptiness of heavens I made large maps with nothing important inside. and cause the god is not an architect, buildings are all simple square.
    I also like to use gender neutral language in all my games, so character's genders are unknown. Otaku's tail is because of cosplaying.

Silenity likes this.
  12. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your LPs are great!!! I would love it if you reviewed my demo: https://itch.io/jam/igmc2018/rate/331587

Just a warning, once you get to the school there isn't much else to do. That's just about as far as I got. There's a skill level up system that I started to implement (I think the heal spell does level up and turn into a new skill, but the fire skill only levels up, but never evolves). I had more enemies as well, but messed up their events so they don't appear (I forgot to put a "switch on" condition on page 2 XD).

Silenity likes this.
  13. hadecynn

hadecynn Abyss of Oblivion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Silenity
    Thanks for playing Abyss of Oblivion and sharing your thoughts! I'm happy to hear that you'd be interested in playing this during your off-time. A few things to note that I saw in your playthrough that will probably help a lot when you pick up the game again:

1) Regarding enemy targeting, it was actually the position of your mouse cursor that was causing the issue. RMMV prioritizes mouse positioning over keyboard, so whenever your mouse cursor hovered over an area with an enemy, you couldn't switch targets. Note that the skeleton enemy with the Provoke skill WILL limit your targeting scope once they successfully cast it.

2) You button-mashed through a few major tutorials and missed two important details. (I'd suggest going into Reference to go over them again before you pick the game up again) Most importantly:

A) A core mechanic in the game is that you recover HP by spending MP. The amount of MP spent equals the amount of HP used. The "First Aid" skill and the "Blessing of Life" are meant to be emergency-use. The battle system was designed for players to manage both the Weakness/Resistance triangle and the HP/MP/Focus triangle at the same time. (Battle Tutorial 2)

B) The letters on the icons for skills are neither keyboard shortcuts nor upgrade levels, they represent Speed Tiers and determine the action/turn order of Evelyn and enemies. (Battle Tutorial 6)

3) Technically you can save at any time by exiting the Abyss (through the stairs) and returning to camp. However, requiring players to run through 10 floors in order to make story progress is an intentional design choice. Note that there is no Game Over state in the game. Being KOed in combat only results in a few penalties.

4) In terms of the blandness of the dungeon. There's definitely more decorations that can be added, but because these dungeons are all randomly generated with a plugin, it'll never look as good as handmade maps.

Anyway, thanks again and I'm really glad you enjoyed the game!

Cheers,
    hadecynn

Silenity likes this.
  14. Kato-A

Kato-A Artist and developer Veteran

Somewhere in your heart because you love me
    First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  15. BerryB

BerryB Veteran Veteran