Silver Town (Final Version)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Bonkers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    congratulation for finally complete your game!

Bonkers likes this.
  2. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Congrats on finishing! :)

Bonkers likes this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So happy for you! Can't wait to play!

Bonkers likes this.
  4. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Congratulations on finishing! :D

Bonkers likes this.
  5. Jarrad

Jarrad Broke College Student Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's done! Congratulations! I'll play through it asap.

Bonkers likes this.
  6. flirion

flirion White Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congratulations for finishing your game !  :)

Bonkers likes this.
  7. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    random thoughts

on the title screen down does not work? looks nice tho

love the little animations like laughing!

max lvl is 20 :D

1000 hugs for all creators who have a way to negate random encounters!

why does shades Fimbulwinter skill cost more then ray of frost? desciption is the same

characters besides emmet can use the ancient mace?

emmet did not react when nidane (leader of church) told him his father was alive!?

when did jura die? the blue haired girl int eh last scene siad it. but he was never killed

what happened with the other virtues? did ralph get them?
    overall thoughts

this was a enjoyable title which would of been more enjoyable if not for a large list of issues mainly grammar

and if we

were able to keep playing after the ending of the game with all the extra virtues and have a couple unlocked areas like the nobles part of town and the locked door in the cave of pax anthor
    it would of been even better.

i would of liked to see how things changed around the world or even just your starting town after the end game.

my biggest dislike was the final battle with

nideal.you needed to use disspell to get away with anything and yet it costs 50 tp to use :( which is pretty rough to build up when you cant use magic and all attacks get counteredalso that you never meet your dad which is alive and a significant character
    Edits gratz on finishing the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    Bonkers likes this.
  8. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Congratulations on finally completing the game. Be proud!  I gotta try this sometime soon.

Bonkers likes this.
  9. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Trust me. It used to be longer. Sorry.

Silver Town is a game that is based on Palladinthug's DnD campaign and parodies a classic fantasy story; the tale of warring tribes, racial tensions, deceit, secrets, thing getting, and daddy issues.

The story of the game is simple to follow which really makes an easy lead in for it to outwardly make fun of itself. If you’re looking for something a little more down to Earth, with fairly difficult and engaging battles, and is entertaining without making some grand gesture or deep commentary; this is a good play.

However; that’s not to say that Silver Town lacks depth or heart. While I found the story to be a gateway for the game’s punching bag; I found myself very attached to the characters as well.

Here is my breakdown.

Dialogue

·         Each character had a recognizable pattern and tone of speech. I was able to read everyone’s lines in my head with a different voice.

·         Loved the inner dialogue in the upper left hand corner.

·         End battle and in battle dialogue was full of many hilarious quotes and references. And really, the fun rarely stopped.

Cut scenes

·         The scenes were laugh out loud funny at times, but I wish that there could have been some more sprite action to match the boisterous level of the dialogue. A little more visual humor from the cut scenes would have been fantastic.

·         There were some amazing moments such as Willard getting knocked out of his chair, Shade casting the spell, Emmet pulling Ivan from the burning tent, and Nidale confronting Jura. But there were many instances where you lost that fire and caught floating head syndrome.

·         A lot of things happened rather suddenly in the story and I think may have demanded more attention, such as Jura’s death (?), Heathcliff being alive (?). There were others. But this goes back to the floating heads. The components of this story are very nice but a lot of time I’m lacking a little visual evidence.

·         I think I actually would have been rather confused without the optional content and rather lost without the journal.

Battles

·         Classic turn-based RPG battle system.

·         Normal mobs are never too cumbersome or repetitive (thank you).

·         But, these boss battles do NOT screw around. I found each boss had a unique strategy to defeat and that I could not just rinse and repeat or waste a turn.

·         There are a whole host of interesting skills to use and each character had a clear and defined play style that made each fun to strategize with.

·         One of the biggest and refreshing surprises I found with this battle system was the use of moves that do not consume turns.

·         The enemy scan move “Libra” for example does not consume a turn. This is the most genius thing that I cannot believe everyone is not doing. It was something I had never thought of.  But when I saw it, I said, “Of course!” I never used those types of moves in the past. You know why? They consumed a turn!

·         There are other moves in the game that do not consume turns, mostly buffs. But don’t think that this makes things any easier. It doesn’t!

Graphics

·         The mapping contains a pleasant level of detail. There were a few standouts, such as the area below the lighthouse store room and the church we first meet Nidale. But overall it did its job, reflected the environment, and contained some interesting new pieces I hadn’t seen before.

·         I did; however, have one particular small gripe with the map of Silver Town’s main area.  There was one map, choosing the noble’s resident, that at least half a dozen times I accidentally walked right back onto the main square map. This was mostly a small issue with consistency; where the other maps I need to select to enter, but for some reason this one entry is connected.

·         The game uses indicators on the world map to show where to find the next part of the main quest. I liked this it an extent (world map mostly). But showing every single step of the quest this way sort of felt spoon fed at times.

Faces and other graphics

·         Custom face sets and pictures are always a plus. Shade’s expressions were particularly memorable. Her giant glasses and fire ball eyes were just part of her, simply put.

·         Other nice graphics such as hand written letters, illustrated scenes, evolving class sprites, and behaviors.

Other

·         Game pad support and audio controls highly appreciated

·         Menus and battle screens are visually pleasing and intuitive to navigate

·         Willard’s charge system is an interesting game mechanic but I found myself using his ‘divine’ spells most of the time.

·         Several ways to reduce and stop random encounters. Still had zero trouble reaching level cap. Thank you.

·         I enjoyed that the money acquisition in this game was by selling drops (it’s an obsession of mine in MMOs) but I did find myself able to buy Ivan’s best items rather soon. But then again, the game was still fairly hard. Ha!

Bug and error encounters

·         There are some spelling and grammar errors, but nothing off putting.

·         In the pub lock up after the thief guild battle Shade suddenly has her placeholder face graphic

·         The save points in Pax Anthor do not heal me which is rather unfortunate because the Arch Lich kicked my ass sideways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    Bukarett, shayoko and Bonkers like this.
  10. Bukarett

Bukarett Burning Dryad Veteran

First Language:
    Tree whisperer
    R E V I E W
    WARNING: THIS POST WILL PROBABLY CONTAIN TYPOS. BE VERY WARY
     ​
    First of all, I need to say that I'm glad I finally found some time to play this game. Dalph was bugging me to play it for a while and since I did some busts recently I realized that I really need to give this a go~ I'M SO GLAD I DID! ;D It has been a while since I played such a great game as this.

I'm not a huge game expert, but I'll try to review as best as I can~ :D Not sure if this would count as a review more like spilling my thoughts out hahahaha. I hope thats alright ;^;

Story
    Don't you hate this feeling of emptiness after watching a good show that just had ended? I despise it and thats exactly what I got here. I felt heartbroken that the story had to end, especially that I got really attached to the characters. Emmets decision at the end was justified, yet came with consequences of going against Wills desires for revenge. I actually thought that was brilliant. It felt very realistic even thought the tone of the game was comedic and humorous. I really liked it. The story overall was really well put together, it had a nice flow and didn't seem to rushed or anything. It had a good share amount of humorous scene as well as serious ones, and even those had a few nice jokes within them. I actually really liked that. I'm more of a drama person but this made me laugh a lot, I won't lie it really did. Hahaha Most of the questions that got raised, got an appropriate answers somewhere along the way and those which didn't hinted to be in next installment. Well written and well done. ;)

I hope those busts I did are for the next game, because I really do want to see the continuation. So many questions were raised after the credit scene. D; I'm dying to see more to be honest.

Gameplay
    It was defiantly balanced, since I actually bought everything Ivan had to offer, and not only because I needed to find an excuse to come to him every so often... (Long story short I was reading all the character out loud while playing this since Dalpher was on the other side laughing his booty off. Hahahaha, I gave an Ivan very peculiar Russian accent and I'll be honest I had blast doing so~ If you ever need a voice actor for him, Dalph will vouch for my me. Hehehehehe.) I defiantly had moments when I was struggling against enemies and needed to either visit Ivan or level up a bit, not only that I tend to over use the same moves in a game, here I actually found myself trying different tactics and being very versicle in my battle. It was really fun and honestly not boring at all. It's hard to not bore me with battle though, so congratulations~

(Also Dalph was insisting on not buying anything since the game can be won without purchasing any equipment, I just want to say that I bough the whole store and Im proud! PROUD I SAY!)

I like the puzzles that were there too, especially the tent one. ;D Dalph though I wouldn't be able to do it. I proved him wrong once again! Well, it was mostly my insanely huge amount of luck but none the less, Buki felt satisfied after completing it. ;D The torch one by the end was exciting as well. Hehehe Puzzles are my life.

You know when Shade always says: Are we Max Lvl yet? Yeah. That. After reading it over and over I decided at one point to for fill her desires. And this has nothing to do with gameplay, but Shade got what she wanted in the end. ;D

Music
    I believe it was very fitting. I like one in the town as well as the sad melody used when Will and Emmet had their serious conversation and in Emmets Father memory. It added a lot of emotions, at least for me. I really felt for the characters and I believe the music as well as the dialogue had a lot to do with it. ;D The only one that actually felt a bit out of place was probably the final boss theme, not sure why but it felt more sci-fi than fantasy. Overall though great music choice, defiantly most fitted atmosphere of all the places.

Mapping
    I think most of the mapping was done beautifully particularly around the town and the world map. I really like the underground in the light house as well, all these little RTP edits worked very well. You know I really was impressed as something as simple as a bucket floating in the water could add to the map~ Very well done, there were moments when I felt though that the maps where a bit short, when Shade used her Meteor spell to get out of the cell, the map after word was really bare, just couple rocks and repeated broken floor, I would add a bit more decoration to that. Most of it though, was very well done. And RTP TOO! Thats hard to pull off! I know there were a lot of edits and such, there was even a joke about that hahahah, but really nice job with resources that were at hand. I was surprised how atmospheric the game was. :D Great work~

​
    Graphics
    Face sets were glorious! Hahahaha, I could see that some were made by different artist, like the Willard one but man doesn't matter, I LOVED the expressions so much! Shade made me die out of laughter. :D Emmet too actually. I think the only thing that bothered me was the demons face didn't match the sprite, but it wasn't that big of a deal since it was pretty epic scene and I seemed to forget it straight away.

​
    I feel like I had way more feelings and comments while I was playing this to be honest and I wish I made a lets play because I had a lot to say in very specific moments, so I apologize of this seems short. I enjoyed it, a lot and like I said Dalph can vouch how much fun I had, because he was dying on the other side.

Here is a quick drawing of Shade for your collection~ ;D She was awesome and badass <3 Defiantly my favorite character there, next to Ivan of course. No one can beat Ivan ;^;

Good luck and I really do hope to play the next game you come up with either this one or whatever else your working on. :)

​
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
    Ikari, Susan, Bonkers and 1 other person like this.
  11. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What a glorious drawing of Shade! The lighting looks fantastic!

Guhhhhh--- I need to get around to playing the full version!!

Bonkers and Bukarett like this.
  12. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @palladinthug:

I can guarantee that Buki is definitely the best choice if you need a voice actress (yes actress) for Ivan, her interpretation of him was just perfect, her voice was deep and with a weird russian accent which sorta suits him and I have no idea why.

@Bukarett:

Great review darling, that was a very nice read. Also OMG dat Shade looks amazing, just like you ;D

Susan, Bonkers and Bukarett like this.
  13. Bonkers

Bonkers Lacking Sleep Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I was surprised to see all this while I was getting ready to play some Incitement 3 from Masteb. Seriously thank you very much.

Dalph I really appreciate you plugging the game so much. You've been one of the most vocal people to encourage players from the start, even before the majority of the redo and editing. I'll make sure you kill someone in the sequel.

Meg that is a huge compliment! I am so happy you loved Libra, and it was all Mundy's idea from stem to stern. He also made Shade's placeholders and fiery eyes and glasses and swirly eyes. If you all love Shade as much as you say praise Mundy as he helped her develop. I was so worried that people would pass on noticing all the behaviors.

This is the part I feel that should really shine through is the work with the sprites. I'm happy that the dialogue kept your interest, and yes I caught the floating head syndrome. I hope to avoid it next time. I added in most of those cut scenes as edits to the existing content and never touched up the other areas for sake of finishing. I'm glad I did actually achieve that fire at all my first game though =3 That is good to hear.

Yup- I kept getting the bosses were too easy. So I completely took them apart and redesigned them bit by bit and learned a heaping helping of tricks.

Arch Liche was the last boss I did, and I wanted him to sting. I am glad he wasn't a push over =D I superbly happy that from the time Chris played it to now that the situation has 180'd. I was devastated when I felt lost and unable to remedy the complaints and it was a gradual learning process that thankfully paid off.

Mapping is my weakest area, and it shows. I am glad I improved enough to create some memorable areas after the redos.

Burka I am overwhelmed with all you had to say, thank you. And I am thrilled to see that picture of Shade! What a nice surprise. I'll happily add it in with the others.

I'm sure Shade says thank you as well! You'll have her DS sprite as soon as Restaff rolls around so since you like her so much you can enjoy her whenever you like.

Ivan was one of the characters I loved to design the most. And you will be getting to pixel bust him soon don't worry, I still have to get his DS sprite made as well.

People found the puzzles to be enjoyable, and not just a hurdle; which is comforting. I wanted to give something of a barrier to those areas to keep people from thinking it was a total grind fest.

I'm glad you didn't use the same moves each time. Every monster family had a trait like the fairies that made them strong, weak, or buffed in some way that made button mashing impossible.

The only thing you can really spam is meteo and that can still be reflected by the sorcerer family that starts with a battle long reflection buff that can only be dispelled.

Music is extremely important to me. I listen to pieces when I write and if a song or melody I scout makes me feels inspired or triggers a scene then I know it's the one.

Shayoko I realize that it wasn't working as soon as Indrah broke her keyboard. That is totally mt fault as I manipulated the mog script to look pretty and hold the many layers of graphics and seamlessly loop, but forgot that people press down even with the correct choice can start highlighted.

Something definitely to take into account for the next one. Press all the buttons >< My play testers got lazy and a lot of big name game titles came out and seduced them. Fimbulwinter and Ray of Frost probably got copy and pasted at some point when I moved them around in the database and reorganized actor's skills. Thank you for telling me. Emmet knew at that point of the story his father was alive, he's more concerned that Nidale is baiting him and has a relation to his mother.

Jura died at the end, when you confront Nidale. His body is one the floor. The former Avatar hints that Nidale's use for him is over now that she has the starmetal and hammer, which she used to forge her own magical arms and armor to become superior to the current Avatar.

The other virtues (Big Spoiler and fits into the next game)

[​IMG]

Were taken by Dalph to Ivan. Ivan is retreating to Ursalia where he is awaiting further instructions. Shade followed Ivan out of the INN and suspected he was up to no good,

and Ivan realizes she knows he has them. He then remarks Heathcliff will not be pleased. I am certain you now know how Ivan is really working for, and his relation
    to Nidale was simply to get close to where the virtues may end up. Heathcliff intends to destroy the Virtures, and the Avatar. Yes that means he now wishes to kill Emmet
    as he is more human than anything. This will also lead into Willard and his involvement again, but I don't wanna spoil anything further.

Since this is a parody of Arum-Alma will be in the party looking for her husband whom Nidale has kidnapped. She won't be working as an agent of Ulstern this time and I will leave it at that.

You will get the power of the other virtues in the sequel, which is ask you to go Ursalia to the shrine of Virtue and activate each. The Runes will be spread out through boss encounters and you will see Ivan again along with a few other faces.

Nidale is a huge order, and dispel is a small price to pay. Luckily if you survive long enough the virtue of justice turns on her and fully heals the party. You also have the added bonus of the rune of humility which will let you outlast her attacks.

Heathcliff is a significant character of the sequel, but introducing him here would have stolen all focus from Emmet and the others. He would have dominated the ending and left things feeling like nothing was accomplished at all.

You will see the changes next game. The beast men are starting to rebel under Heathcliff's persuasion, and Nidale is countering by trying to enslave the nation of bears to form an army and stop him.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    Bukarett, Ms Littlefish and Dalph like this.
  14. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am very happy to see this game finally finished. I can still remember back in the early days of development, and I must say that I'm impressed to see how far this has come.

I tip my hat to you, good sir. The improvement is real.

Bonkers likes this.
  15. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You made my day, sincerely and fully, thank you.  I was longing for more people from the first days to return and witness what it is now.

16. granny steph

granny steph Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Have you made a follow up game please.

Bonkers likes this.
  17. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes. My apologizes for the time between projects. Jayce and Stacy completely stole my time, as they are evil little children, and I was swept up in several games with them, a visual novel, and now a 43 page comic primer due to release this summer. I wouldn't have seen this message if I hadn't been back on site recently. Conviently, I am in the current event to finish something and Silver Town's Sequel is on the dev desk. You can find it's link in my signature "The Extradition of Issac". I'll be doing some major updates this weekend as I've been slaving over the spread sheets for some time now. There are a lot of materials to discuss come Friday.