Silver Town (Final Version)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Bonkers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Most of the default ones are facing straight ahead, and especially if you're going to be downsizing them, it will be hard to see where their eyes are looking, so it could work. Take the RTP slime or the RTP jellyfish for example, if you downsize them so they're proportional to your characters, you won't really be able to tell if they're looking ahead or to the right/left.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    the slime don't have eyes... XD... it's not just a matter of eyes, even the way the feet are positioned or the weapon orientation can be used to tell where the sprite is meant to be "looking" at... I've seen people use that, and it doesn't really look good

Dalph likes this.
  3. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    yeah... though I prefer yanfly's visual battlers, it seems more lightweight... XD

5. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree.  The problem is that the production time involved wouldn't warrant changing to side battles in my case.  For someone else it might be the thing to do, but my priorities lie elsewhere.  It would be an interesting project, and if I weren't committing to this game I'd probably attach myself to someone else's  or offer it in the form of a shop.  I intend to create some battlers, though they will follow the traditional RPG maker style.

I think the best thing I can do for enemies is to reduce hp by 30% for more encounters and stick to 1-2 enemies except for planned mob encounters.  Like a faux boss encounter meant to challenge people similar to the thieves in Gale.  I don't want everything to be "one shot", but the idea of having a gimmick and letting the player use strategy to weaken or play on weakness like was suggested with the sleep spell, hold person, and other tricks might be enough to engage the player.  Simple, short, and sweet.  That's what I have to aim for with trash.

6. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nono, it's too odd and ugly to me, I hate fighting enemies that look at you instead of looking at the characters, it just doesn't look good ingame.

But I agree with you for a frontview with visible characters, it will be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Bukarett and Susan like this.
  7. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still there is a customization option for sprite states.  It will still require more spriting as I mentioned before for states (poison, weakened, downed, etc) to fully utilize the script.  It's definitely an option, thank you for suggesting it.  I'll give it a try after I get settled and see about creating some state sprites for the characters should I get more time.  

8. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently stuck at Pax Anthor, this place is a true nightmare, it's big as hell and with too many random battles. XD

Where is the Crown? I've talked to everyone (also Chuckles) after a lot of troubles, because the battles are too frequent, and the exploration is a bit boring due to this.

However I do enjoy the dialogues, they're very well made.
    ------

EDIT: I don't want to double post so I edited this post.

I'm a bit busy right now, since I'm working on my game and also reading an awesome fantasy web novel written by a friend here, but I still managed to play it a bit because I like it.

Currently at Chapter 2 (played it for an hour or so).

I have to say that I'm enjoying this chapter more than the first one, and not because Shade is my favourite character, but because I really like the exploration thing.

I see a lot of good ideas everywhere, I like the mushroom and the fairy town, also the music choice is good and fits well with the atmosphere.

I won't talk about the mapping because I hate being repetitive, just remember to make every map smaller, because in RM, BIG = BORING.

I admit that I equipped the Chicken Ring at a certain point, because I hate the random encounters and the game was more fun without them.

The Scroll of Bridge item is a neat idea, I like it, good job on that.

May I ask you what's the purpose of defeating the skeleton boss in the mausoleum?

Will I get something in future?

And I suggest you to remove the facesets for the unimportant characters.

I'm serious, you should leave the unimportant NPCs without facesets (to avoid confusion), and add a name box window for the dialogues of every character (there's a Yanfly script for that), to know who's talking in that moment.

What the...Heathcliff is still alive?

About Shade's quote: They were more disappointing than the ending of Mass Effect 3.

And of which ending she's talking exactly? XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
    Bukarett, Susan and Bonkers like this.
  9. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ------

EDIT: I don't want to double post so I edited this post.

I'm a bit busy right now, since I'm working on my game and also reading an awesome fantasy web novel written by a friend here, but I still managed to play it a bit because I like it.

Currently at Chapter 2 (played it for an hour or so).

I have to say that I'm enjoying this chapter more than the first one, and not because Shade is my favourite character, but because I really like the exploration thing.

I see a lot of good ideas everywhere, I like the mushroom and the fairy town, also the music choice is good and fits well with the atmosphere.

I won't talk about the mapping because I hate being repetitive, just remember to make every map smaller, because in RM, BIG = BORING.

I admit that I equipped the Chicken Ring at a certain point, because I hate the random encounters and the game was more fun without them.

The Scroll of Bridge item is a neat idea, I like it, good job on that.

May I ask you what's the purpose of defeating the skeleton boss in the mausoleum?

Will I get something in future?

And I suggest you to remove the facesets for the unimportant characters.

I'm serious, you should leave the unimportant NPCs without facesets (to avoid confusion), and add a name box window for the dialogues of every character (there's a Yanfly script for that), to know who's talking in that moment.

What the...Heathcliff is still alive?

About Shade's quote: They were more disappointing than the ending of Mass Effect 3.

And of which ending she's talking exactly? XD

Oh thank you!  I guess you made it past Chapter 1 with the bad ending, due to being able to see Shade without the transparency bug of the good ending/ or I remembered to fix that issue.  I am flattered you made time for this, and thank you for taking extra time looking into Shade's unrefined materials.  Yes, I'm currently looking at some maps for redo, and the introduction will be getting a preview  tomorrow after the live stream I'll be statusing.

The scrolls of power will be Shade's gimmick of her chapter.  There will be a bridge scroll, protection scrolls, 'The Ring Gates' which will allow all members to share their inventories with one another, The Platter of Infiny Fried Chicken, and some other magical items of comical interest.

The Skeleton Boss

Is a dummy boss for Kyre as she suspects it is the swordmaster she is questing to defeat to assume her own mastery of the sword.  It's a puppet manipulated by the real swordmaster's wife, and children.  The real swordmaster is the wolfman to the south of the skeleton, pretending to be a failed initiate.  He will not talk with you until Shade suggests it after Kyrie fails or succeeds.

My tester says you should, I feel it's filler material.  I'm likely to give a more powerful sword as a consolation prize for out thinking the boss, as it requires a great deal of effort and is possible to defeat. (I hate unwinnable battles)
    I see your point with the face sets.  I only put Yanfly's script in last few builds ago and tested it in Emmet's chapter first.  Since Shade's isn't set to display yet it doesn't have the proper commands in each dialogue box yet.

Emmet's Father Healthcliff

Yes Heathcliff is alive and currently under the Employ of Lord Kallak, Kendra's father.  (The one who attempted to sacrifice his daughter to Vecna for more magical power).  I can explain the full details and over arching plot to you in PM to avoid more spoilers here.
    Just in general for the endings. =D  Starchild and all that is rather overblown and spoils the entirety of gathering resources only to be given a choice of colored explosions.  (I preferred the defiance ending, even if it did end badly).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  10. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Make an easter egg where Heathcliff references a virtual reality MMO in which he traps everyone inside, forcing them to clear all 100 floors before they can log out :p

11. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A small update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Emmet's bandit disguise will require more editing)

[​IMG]

Side project:

I started converting the DS resource Minotaur sprites into dressed versions with tails and hair.  I cannot post them here or in the WIP due to the nature of the contract with the forums I agreed to.  If you wish to see the alterations I'll happily send them to you if you can verify through steam or forum store activity that you own the resource.  

I am considering doing some DS wolf, lion, and other sprites for the shop.

It is very easy to get carried away with making all these custom resources.  I find it much more satisfying than game making.

12. KnightlyGamer

KnightlyGamer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You're making these sprites yourself!?

I'm always impressed by the wide variety of skills people on the boards maintain. 

I just read through this thread after catching a glance of it a few times, previously. Glad I took the time to give it a read. I'm really excited for this game and will be eagerly awaiting any additional news.

I'd also love to see a new build get uploaded sometime. Whenever that happens, I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

13. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

The original lion man sprite was made by Avadon and credited to him in the Credits section under graphics along with the bases that were used from people's works, conversions, and Japanese sites. Itchi that so is the Japanese artist who did the larger armored base which is his dragon knight stage 3 design. (This doesn't mean I didn't do any work to make them in their current form.  It took a great deal of editing. Sometimes multiple times when mistakes were made or needing to be amended).  

Since it looks like the lion man sprite was fraken sprited itself, and it's head re sized to fit an average human sprite base there was some muddiness and damage to repair.

The part I did besides the Franken spriting was extend the nose of Emmet to look more lion like and not be so flat.  I took some liberties with the wolf man adding chest fur, bulk, and assorted small details.  The wolf man comes from a XP conversion to VX and ACE from Mack and so credited.  The Druidess is one of the original characters from the cover of VX/ACE made on a Japanese site, with a unicorn, and recolored.  You can see this in my blog entry where I posted the side by side comparison.  I also corrected a bit of damage to the face and replaced the body with a non skeleton base.  Again the base was not mine either.  It came from Jalen.

The original sprites and bases were NOT my work.  The dirty laundry is an example of something I made from scratch on the WIP, along with the massive fireplace (using the XP model as a guide with my design for the stones).

That being said, the portraits for the anthro characters are mine that I made from scratch.

The physical objects like the flags are panda maru's, which I recolored and then placed a design I did like the lion head on top of for Silver Town's flag. The original purple dragon flag was her work.  All I did was recolor the base and add my pixel lion head design. The poster I made from scratch as well.  (After I saw a similar poster in XP I was inspired), that previous one was just too different in terms of style to use (XP elements do not mesh well with VX/ACE graphics) so I made one myself. 

Thank you, I am happy that you are pleased with the work being done.  I recommend looking at the blog entries for more info.  

The newest build will be uploaded when I've had time to redo a few more of the maps, more than likely by March 15th.  Right now I am working on custom things, little graphics updates along with two new Yanfly scripts added (To ease talking between characters and items to cut down on windows stopping exploration), and an introduction with hand made art to go along with it.   Also a world map and a few other things.  I've already made a custom sprite or two for people here on the forums to show up inside an INN or off to the side as an Easter egg.  

Glad to hear it and I hope some of the old problems will be resolved this go around.  I am working hard to ensure it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  14. KnightlyGamer

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for all the info on the sprites. As for the blog entries... where would those be found?

Looking forward to the new build :)

15. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. KnightlyGamer

First Language:
    English
    Oh cool. Didn't know. Thanks!

17. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    Arkecia likes this.
  18. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright.  The game making drive put things into perspective.  First week was well spent and all my entries were made ahead of schedual.

Now for the bad news.  

After reading an article on game design, and witnessing first hand what people expect from one of these games I've decided to

do what people have been recommending.  Cutting things out to meet a deadline.

So what will be cut?

Bruin, Kendra, Renard, and the Mission board.  Kyrie, Sasuaga, and Garrett would have been in chapter 2, but I can't count on play past 2-3 hours.  So I won't

count my chickens before they are hatched.  Saving it for the 'next one' as they say.  

So 6 characters cut.  Right off the top.  Focusing on just the original four:

Emmet, Shade, Willard, and Wolfe.  Just because I can design for so many classes doesn't mean I should.   All content and information I was planning to hide from the player will still be revealed to create a full story.  I just can't pad it out like a final fantasy game.  I was using the wrong model for this type of medium to judge work.

I'll keep the others as NPCs, but I see no reason to strain myself with optional material while I struggle to fix the main content.

Tower of Illusion after game dungeon (Real content upfront, no need for pointless after service).

Custom battlers (Saving it for the next game).  I just don't have the time with Dad in and out of the hospital.  

Bromides.  (Saving it for the next game).

Side Quests are now Wolfe's main quests and will be altered to fit him. (Minimal effort).

What won't be cut?

Portraits for Characters and important NPCs

Certain Puzzles that are already designed and tested.

Existing maps and dungeons which are getting resource updates, and remapped.  This is still happening during the GMD.  People have been liking the progress in just week 1, so I see no reason not to continue with the feedback you all have given me.  (I'm currently hammering out the slums).  Mapping is very tiring, I'd much rather be drawing portraits.

Special thanks to those who contributed feedback.  This includes the use of all resources made for the project, and hopefully getting you a background NPC in Silver Town. (I won't be doing portraits for them though, you can see my terms on the shop I'll open once a stable build is released.)

Updated functionality of battle and a possible engine added.  I see no reason not to add a battle engine, even if I enjoy the original a lot of people don't.

I've already gotten a lot of suggestions and seen a few in action.  This may not be done before the end of February, but it's still on the table.

Quality music.  I am at it everyday assuring myself I can find decent music from unheard composers.  Rose will still be used, unless I can find something superior to the mock RPG style.  I understand the work from that artist is a particular favorite of people.

Short, sweet, and simple.  I've seen it work, and that is the new goal.  Don't overload.  Get it done.  We can talk additional stuff once everything is done and working. My thought of opening a shop is still on the table.  I do want to use the DS resources after this project is done and have already begun working with them.  I've also seen what some people have done with those DS packs and it's amazing.  

RTP is still good for me to learn on though, don't get me wrong.  2 months is almost up, and I've made the most of the time I've asked for.  Let's see if I can deliver this turkey.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    Chiara and Clareain_Christopher like this.
  19. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very wise choices palladinthug.

As long as there is Shades I don't care about the rest. XD

Bukarett, Susan and Bonkers like this.
  20. Matt Beer

Matt Beer The Friendly Dev That Could Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like what I see! The character art for those animals is awesome! Who did that? ( sorry if that's already been answered somewhere, but I didn't see it )