Silver Town (Final Version)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Bonkers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No worries.

The portrait work is my own.  I designed Emmet and the other beastmen(Ivan, Bruin, Garrett, etc..)

[​IMG]  Ivan, the merchant NPC, is nearly done.  I had to stop portrait work due to map makeovers being needed more. 

Willard and Kyrie are from Kingdom Rise and Fall by Ichi.  

Closet did Kendra's portrait.  

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    Bukarett, JacobM, Dalph and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GMD goes on.  We'll know our score this week soon enough.

Here is some progress I've made:

[​IMG]

I'm very proud of the stained glass windows, and feel they will help the main quest hub and cut scenes.  Here is the completed tile set, though I can see that hammer window will need a black line on the bottom now.  Whoops.  Very minor edit.

Downed sprites have begun, I posted them to "What are you working on now" in general development.

The next two weeks will be heavy with eventing and implementing things.

I've also started work on the burning down/burnt down house for a cut scene.  Nothing too ambitious, just enough to give a nice non static sense

for people and show a real impact of the social division.  The first 10 mins of the game will be drastically changed, and I have no active playtesters atm.  So if work is busy I'll have a great deal of untested material I'll need to get done before the 7th, when my dental surgery is.  (3 days of being unable to work proper afterwards). 

Scythuz's music will be put in this next build as well, please do take a look at his resources.  He did a fantastic job in the restaff release.  He did the battle theme of the Empire for the Lackey fight.  http://bc1281.wix.com/scythuz-music-web-1  Here is his website, please give it a listen.  You'll be thrilled you did.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *drops this here and then vanishes into the night*

[​IMG]

i totally can't draw the Pelor Holy Symbol

4. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick Update with progress in the GMD.  

Our current score hasn't been accounted yet for week 2.

I want to finally give some new Screen shots for next week along with making a fanart section to showcase CC and Maiko's wonderful artworks.  I don't want them to

feel their gifts were unappreciated. 

Scythuz and DaveyBriteRPG have both been credited for their completed requests.  You can find their links in the OP and my sig.  Scuthuz sadly has no clickable banner yet, but you should have no trouble finding him with the link to his site.

Still needs to be done:

Slight edits to RTP elements for Gale

Remap about 10 more maps (I honestly made way too many maps for my first game).

Intro Artwork * (Gotta move a house and work is going through the motions but I will find the time).

Playtest New Changes

Cut half the skills (Willard and Shade have way too many skills.  I overdid casters).

Adjust enemies and encounter rates

Coloring Wolfe's and Ivan's emo sheets

Mantra: "Cut, cut, cut".

What I accomplished so far:

About two tile sets worth of materials (Mushroom, windows, pews, slight edits, magic circle overlays, recolors, etc)

A tile set of crystals by the resource artist, along with a custom statue that stands out ad mist the church

About 30 remaps or more

Cut half of the playable characters to fit the story

Adjusted the story to stand alone without additional chapters.

Shade's emo set

Downed, and damaged sprites

What I'd like to do after the GMD for the .3 Alpha build if there is time:

Cut scene artwork

Title screen artwork

Behavioral sprites

Custom animation -- Can't get it to work, but the sheet is done and prepped.  It just needs adjustment, but I had to abandon it to work on more remapping.  Forum NPCs from helpful contributors from those that offered criticism.  It's a low priority, but I'd like to say at least a special thanks for people who took time to play and to give me what I needed the most to improve.

Intro artwork might not be in the GMD and completed afterwards, but it should be in build .2 after the 15th of March.

5. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I want to play... your game.... lol Send me a PM sometime if you need an alpha test or something. Anyway, peeking through the thread I really like what's been happening! Continue the hard work my friend!

Bonkers likes this.
  6. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think that can be easily arranged, thank you =3

Here is a small demonstration of my remapping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to have new screen shots shortly, along with a few goodies.  I'll let you know once next week is over with the next version of the alpha.

7. potatocat

potatocat The Cat Member

First Language:
    English
    Hoihoi Paladin, I too would like to play the new versions, let me alpha test too please~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
    Bonkers likes this.
  8. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love too, and thanks for the offer.  Right now the main square of town is getting remapped, so while the events are functioning a lot of their directions and locations of buildings have changed.  I also put in a custom statue along with some new new surprises.  Regretfully I need to move a house today, so I can't make much progress.  I'll see about posting some of the new portrait art later on.

9. potatocat

potatocat The Cat Member

First Language:
    English
    Aw. Okay. Congrats on the new house! I need to get me one of those.

10. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not me, my sister.  I hear ya on that.

As for the new window skin, font and tile sets I've just updated three new screen shots.  I'll be doing more as the week goes on during the 30 hour storm.  I also have some more portraits to do.  Once the GMD ends I'll be able to update the thread again and hopefully pretty things up a little.

Right now I am cleaning house and took out a bit of bloat and spoiler ed the bulk of the OP into sections.  

I've been using a majority of my time to remap, so I'll get some before and after shots ups to go along with the last pair I posted.

Arkecia likes this.
  11. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wohoooo...someone is clearly improving his mapping skills! Oh and pretty awesome additions to the RTP, I'm looking forward to play the updated version. :)

Bukarett, Susan and Bonkers like this.
  12. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This project looks amazing! I really like the way you try to make the game like a classic D&D campaign.

And look at the amount of custom resources you had put into! ^___^ b

Bonkers likes this.
  13. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you =D  There is more to come.  I've been working all day on remapping and getting set up for some more portraits.  I'll be updating the thread throughout the week, and I'm nearly set to have a functioning alpha by Monday for some preliminary testing of the new materials.

Right now I need to weather a 30 hour storm starting tomorrow, otherwise I'd make a pull to get some more materials up.  I just posted some shot in the Game and Map Screen Shots thread if you want to see the current map being redone.

SomaelCK likes this.
  14. potatocat

potatocat The Cat Member

First Language:
    English
    I got dibs on first test! :D

Btw, I'm not very good at RPGM or art in general, but if you need any help, I wouldn't mind lending a hand where necessary.

EDIT: Btw, I stole your sig because I support you~!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    cane_danko and Bonkers like this.
  15. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    An update since we are 2 weeks away from a new alpha build.  The GMD went splendid and I didn't miss a single day.  A lot was accomplished, though not everything.  My main focus was remapping and we got a wealth of new resources added.  Lots of pictures below along with an animated surprise.

[​IMG]

I even put in an animated waterwheel, and now that I have heard back from the other developer I've shared it with I have a version for the RTP as well as an edit for the DS pack to share for your own games =D  Here is a preview:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind the size isn't set in stone and the master PSD is so large it can be scaled to any dimension in game.  So it could even be two tiles wide etc or shrunk down to imitate a horizontal cog wheel.  

[​IMG]The current state of the game is as follows:
    Remapping of the main square is complete
    [​IMG]
    Intro still needs to be done (I've avoided it like the plague).
    Portraits need to be touched up and polished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jura and Nidale are currently in concept form, and I do not wish to share them at this time.
    Behavior for Shade is set up, and needs testing.
    INN Remapping is complete
    [​IMG]I must adjust those table benches and that one left stool. >> Ugh.
    Although I wanna recolor a few minor things I need to move on there are 164 maps.  
    You can see I made adjustments to restaff materials with a few edits and recolors.
    A new exterior tile set is in progress.  Small piles of leaves are a WIP, as well as various flower edits.  These flowers are far too saturated.

Silver Town Signs will be gilded differently as well.  You can see here in the INN vs PUB sign.
    [​IMG]
    Red is the default color of silver town, so we will go with those to compliment the calm brown stone. (Boo grey stone).
    The Slums, may change a bit but there is a progress shot
    [​IMG]

A WIP shot, please ignore the northern pottery debris.
    Druid's Cave Dungeon
    [​IMG]
    I played with melding tile sets, not perfect but I am satisfied.  You can see one of the custom crystals here and the new save point, a floating book which will hopefully avoid any and all confusion.
    Hooded well to match houses is in progress.  
    Nidale's study, the cathedral, barracks, and basement are all done and shiny.  You've seen them previously.
    File size was taken down from 121 to 90 megs after another purge of unneeded materials.  If I can keep the final build under 100 entirely I
    will be very happy.
    Transfers that allow dynamic travel as requested by CC for the boarder between the square and when you enter town are complete but not all functional from either end.  This is priority.
    [​IMG]
    Window is a WIP.  We even put in a symbol which bobs up and down as a prompter between dialogue to make it more custom.  Font is called: Steinem which we choose after about 20 duds.  Suggestions are welcome, but we're satisfied here.
    The first ten minutes of the game have been scripted, but the events and tile sets have not yet been finished.
    You're new merchant buddy Ivan will be ready soon.

The game is not in a playable state due to transfers and pass abilities not being set to allow speed in remapping.  

Please keep in mind I get on the road tomorrow for a 6 hour trip and return on Sunday the same method of travel.  I'll be on a much needed sabbatical and may not be able to work on the game or these forums for this current week.  I'll try to work on artwork and the introduction, but with another GMD starting March 15 I may delay releasing an alpha for a while to get the whole of things together.  Should that happen, I will give a warning on the 10th when I return to work after my furlough.  April 15th will then be the next expected date for an alpha build release.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    JacobM, Arkecia and Dalph like this.
  16. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Your maps improved a lot, compared to the earlier builds I tested. Lookin' pretty good!

Bonkers likes this.
  17. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree, your maps are a lot better now, great job man.

Look at Shade...ahahah...she's too awesome.

Susan and Bonkers like this.
  18. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks guys!  I am glad all the time invested into remapping areas has paid off.  I'm still fighting with a few maps, but I'm getting transfers and events fixed in the mean time to take a break from the hassle of shift clicking.

Here is a preview of the animation my resource artist did.  He did a wonderful job on the water wheel and the statue.

[​IMG]

We have a more elaborate animation inside the game, and since it's plot related we're padding it out to override the sped up animation so it can coincide with the meta effect sound effect/song we have for Emmet's upgrades.  This will replace the RTP animation.  Since we know how to do it now, I may even try a small animation for Libra.  I'm sure I can also splice this together with smite and Emmet's other abilities for a nice burst effect. (We had to scale it down in game and added a spin effect we couldn't export from the editor itself).

Right now we're relaxing between GMD's by playing SP: Stick of Truth, and Disgaea 4 A Promise to be Kept when not working on the game. 

19. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay.  I am working on the last behavioral sprite for Wolfe.  I did a quick resource request that turned out well for practice which is where the broom came from, Xcom seems to have liked it as well as several other people.  I am sure the mage guild will have one as well.  You are all free to use it of course or edit it to your liking.  I made two versions.  I promised myself I'd do a shop for requests etc and it looks like summer will be the best time to get a thread for that together after I have a firmer standing here.

My team for the new GMD is mercenary.

This month will consist of creating cut scenes and that illusive intro I keep promising to make. I apologize for not releasing a build when I intended to after the end of the two months I asked to make improvements, but the game will benefit significantly from having a few new surprises as well as getting things properly play tested.  I hope I have shown you the time wasn't wasted now that all the maps have seen the amount of time and love they deserve.

I still haven't selected a battle engine, and may leave things as is in that aspect for now.

My custom exterior tile set is going to include a special well and a ruined version for the lighthouse since it is of plot significance.  People seem to like the behavioral of the characters and that makes me very happy.  They are fun to do. Portraits need finishing as well.  All other requested changes were made per the received criticism.       

Here is a preview for Nidale and Lord Jura's custom portraits:

[​IMG]

Lord Jura needs more lipstick.

If you have watched resource WIP, you have seen our mill grinder.  That goes with the water wheel.

I'll set April 15th as the new expected date of the Alpha.  With all the improvements added hopefully it will feel like the wait was worth it.

I also have to finish a few games I've started, and I highly recommend you check out Eric's Day off as well as Project Oscine.

20. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some gorgeous updates man, I also love the behavior poses in your signature, impressive job with those sprites.

I have to support your game, but my signature is becoming too freakin' big...ugh.

Whatever...I don't care, I'll support it anyway, it's a great game...ahah

Bukarett, Susan and Bonkers like this.