Silver Town (Final Version)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Bonkers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've actually thought about that problem.  I was wondering if I could talk to some of the mods and make a badge for my game.  I'm not sure if that's been done before, but making a custom pixel badge for the project wouldn't take too long.  Since users can't attach their own badges\awards expect in a signature it would eliminate a lot of space needs.  I'll bring it up in the GMD when I post a preview version.  They still gotta get us our badge from last month as well.

Thanks much =3

Dalph likes this.
  2. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya guys!  This week saw a lot of action in the GMD and my side project.

[​IMG]
    Here's a look at the lighthouse, and the new well design I am hammering out to give Cassandra the ghost a nicer home.  

I've also done a few things for the upcoming restaff release where I hope to be a guest contributor in may.  Here's a sneak peak:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The kobold digging animation is the most complicated behavior I've done so far.  I really wanna open up a shop for DS resources and sprites come June.

Everything is going well, Dad is coming home from the hospital much better than he left.  Should the next week go well, and I get furloughed again in April I should be able to release on the new schedule.  Right now my biggest obstacles are just time to draw the intro and prearranging some events.  I'll post more work on the intro as it becomes available.

As for a battle engine I've worked with Yami's symphony enough to the point where I am kicking it around.  Though I still feel a side battle doesn't add much I admit it's fun to play with.  Should everyone be satisfied with the intro, new first 10 mins of play, and the reworked resources we'll talk battle engine.  If not, it will be saved for the next project.

Before I forget, I have something special for you all.   [​IMG]

I'm sorry I can't put it on the proper place for a real badge, but I did make you one in appreciation of your support of my project.  Thank you =3

cane_danko, Dalph and Arkecia like this.
  3. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello all some good news to start us off.  My work for the DS side project is now in the member's plus lounge.  If you have DS/DS+ and member's plus please check it out.  I love to sprite monsters and those guys have been in every incarnation of the RPG maker series.  It's good to see them get more use.

The custom animations are going well.  Take a look at Willard's turn undead preview.  I am working on getting Pelor's eye to glow and shine:

[​IMG]

New Custom sound effects were added to the menu and other areas.  I'm slowly replacing most of them for better sounding items.

The save menu have been completely redone, and I've done a 20x20 icon for St.Cuthburt's tool tips.

[​IMG]

Roar, Leonic Rage. Righteous Might, Smite will all have animations as well.  Including plot related armor upgrades!  

I'm trying to avoid RTP pre-done material for important events and cut scenes.  

EDIT:  Here is a short video to preview one of the animations we made custom for the game.

Shade has a custom animation as well for Libra I am currently working on.

Here is one of the cut scene's sketches:

[​IMG]

I've started some concept work with the Intro I'll be revamping tonight as part of my GMD entry:

[​IMG]

I'm doing my best to not delay the alpha anymore and despite my father's hospitalization again I am working through the coffee buzz.  He's had 60 CC of fluid taken out of him and still going after his gall bladder removal.  Between that the pancreatic cancer, and the diabetes It's a struggle to keep him going.    

Right now I've completely revamped the database, 400 entries have been removed keeping the file size as low as possible.  I've got skills yet to do, but once they are tidy I'll have a much better grasp on organization. To be honest I should have deleted everything in a new projected and started clean when I began, but it was a beginner's mistake.  So I'm going through the game several times to test all the chests and items to make sure the item based events will work now that things have been rearranged. So far I've hit about 160 new bugs(Kept count by saved game number >< ) that were solved yesterday and getting Ivan's burning down tent event working along with his cut scene to give the beginning some more action

during the arson.  

I may not have everything I want done, but everything you've asked for has already been done now.  That means the remapping as well as the fixes you've asked for are all already there.  I am just trying to dress things up and set up some structure for the artwork as it gets done, and will be added as time allows.  Also a few interiors for ST are not yet done, but can be added any time.  This means only plot necessary area interiors are working ATM.  Should next week be calmer I'll have more time for them.  

My apologies for not having the new portraits done by now, it's been a hectic week.

Also I've done some work for B.Ultimus  's game!  He's a fun guy to work with, and you should check out his progress in the GMD as well.  I'll have a chance to work more with him after this month is over.  Please congratulate Candacis for winning the Farm Mapping Contest as well, her tiles have really enriched my game to make a world of difference.

The Magi Chronicles is a great game as well I've had the pleasure of playing.  [​IMG] I've done a small bit fan badging for drassray  as he works hard on his own game.   

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  4. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good morning.  I truly hope it is a good one for us all.

The first post has been amended with the link to the new alpha.  As I get time and a new lap top I will continue to make changes.  I feel the game is in a better state than last time, having had 2 GMDs and seen what works and what doesn't first hand.

This is my one year anniversary of using RPG Maker.

Build .2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84835954/Silver%20Town%20Alpha%20.21.exe

Please install the included font.  You need only install the "Regular" version.

Known Issues[updated]:

Bug(!) Right now there is a transfer issue from the world map into the slums and noble's area.  Both maps are reachable from the main square of town however, and the game can function properly by accessing those areas from there.  I'll work to amend this mistake tonight.  My apologies.

Thank you Arkecia for bringing this to my attention.

Silver Town doesn't graphically exist, nor does the druid's circle on the world map.  You can still enter either at obvious points which are clearly marked.

I am currently working to fix these and they should have no lasting impact on the majority of game play.

Some 432 bugs of varying degree and flow were fixed.  

The Iron works escaped remapping.  I will remedy this later since it isn't part of the official demo.  The alpha ends after you get disguises for Gale, but

I am happy to allow you to explore the new slimmer Pax Anthor.  After the undead castle though the ending is fragmented at best and isn't refined.

I'm redoing quite a bit from now until June.

-Minor Bug(?) Found by [Devil 5,Dalph, Chiara] 4/14/14

In the Caretaker Cellar if Willard de-equips the staff of light, or is reordered the staff's light graphic and disabling enemy encounters may be interrupted.

This is not intended.  To fix this save with Willard in the lead and the staff equipped, then load.  This will absolve the problem since the event

controlling the staff of light is set with an "erase" command.  

This was addressed and given the parallel event treatment with a very short wait time and extended to support the entirety of the map.  

So far it seems to be functioning.  If you are up to trying to break it, I invite you to do so. 

-Minor Bug(?) Found by Chiara

Warp when preformed in the forest to the Light house will retain weather effects. This has been solved.  Warp Protocol now wipes all weather conditions, and will reinstate Map17s weather when the Druids

are not freed. Warp when used in the forest to the forest causes total weather and tint wipe.  I think I fixed that.

What happens is it takes a 30 frame period to readjust the entirety of the weather for the forest to the proper tone.  

-Minor Bug(?)

Level up in Victory Aftermath shows a 'dummied' character.  I removed the arrow entirely from the script itself with a ">" under draw arrow but somewhere before it another character is causing a box to appear.  Originally three boxes indicating three malformed characters of the font map were present and I was only able to stamp out two.  I'll keep looking since I know how to globally search scripts now.  I am certain it is somewhere obvious.  For now I have erased draw_arrows. 

Yanfly's Shop scrip "Sell" command does the same when displaying items and quantity for sale.  I am working to correct this. 

-Minor Bug(!)

Some skills/spells, items, etc have no graphics in the menu scene.  The graphics purge was heavy handed and I haven't gotten to skills yet.  I am currently working to add graphics as needed, and make custom icons for Emmet which should appear properly in this build.  This will be a slow process and continue to the next build .3 in June.

Important:

Ivan, Shade, and Wolfe do not have their custom portraits done yet.  Portraits will be completed as time allows once Dad is out of the hospital.

The introduction does not have all it's artwork completed.  The Map is a WIP.  Textures will be added after the landmasses are refined.

Cut scenes are currently being worked on and are scheduled for completion in June.  

Currently sketches of Ivan being pulled from the burning tent, and Willard's moment with Emmet are in as place holders.

Emmet's Portrait needs to be reworked to the given commentary.  His lips will be thinner in the grumpy face, his eye lines will be thinner in the sad face, and the artifact will be removed from the  pissed off face.  I unfortunately lost time due to the theft of my laptop, and needed to release this build before some needed changes.

There is no gold dropping from enemies directly save some bosses.  You sell drops, and you can find treasure or gold separately from battle.

Bosses:

Queen Lite II is aware of what you did to her predecessor and is out for revenge and will call for adds during the battle.

Her cut scene was also updated as well as her sprite.

Encounter rates have been greatly reduced for all areas.

Enemies can be encountered only in the woods around town at the beginning, the roads are completely safe.

Some battle backs are being worked on and have not yet been added.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    Arkecia and Dalph like this.
  5. Arkecia

Arkecia Database Queen Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey palladinthug, since I was brought to this threads attention thanks to a few factors (no more forum lag yay xD) I couldn't wait to download the latest build and give it a try.

I played as far as I was able to, and I'll share what I thought as I was playing in a spoiler:

First off I really like the icon you created to represent St. Cuthburt, and it fits the title screen well too, but I think you should center the symbol in the title screen.

The custom SEs for things like the cursor and cancel/confirm sounds are a nice touch.

As soon as I started the game I was greeted with Gab Windows to display Emmet's thoughts instead of having him use a message window which would have made me assume he was talking to himself, so using the Gab Window to display the inner monologues was a nice touch. Almost makes me want to not be lazy and do the same, almost xD.

You say not everything is finished like icons and your scene images like with Ivan, so I won't comment on that further, just a suggestion. I think it would look much better if the CGs took the whole screen, or possibly even larger and have them pan to the characters. Otherwise having black bars cover where the map shows would work too.

The item popups are great, beats seeing the normal window.

Speaking of the Gab Window, while examining the sign in the slums next to Ivan's burned down tent the window doesn't fit all the text, so the bottom half is cut off.

The item description for Feldspar doesn't fit into the two lines for item descriptions.

Maps are much better this time around for the town, and it shows how much work you put into it. I remember the first time I commented on this project I said how awesome it was that there were event objects all over the place that actually moved. It's still a huge plus when games normally stay stationary with all tiles.

I especially like what you did with St. Cuthburt's temple. I remember a couple GMDs ago where you were working on it.

When speaking to Imani, there's a couple spots in the dialogue where the font is a square instead of the intended accent. Not sure what's supposed to go in its place.

I already told you about the world map; I was lucky I am a compulsive saver when I reach a world map.

The barrier puzzle to enter the magic tent was well done; I kinda stumbled in and solved it without realizing it until I was 2/3 of the way through though xD.  Speaking of puzzles; I still remember the poison one from the Druid's forest, so it didn't give me any trouble.

For the lighthouse, the moss tile you put on it is passable so it allowed me to walk on the wall and roof.  I was glad Ivan came inside; I ended up grinding and getting the best equipment in the game thus far, making things pretty easy for a while in battle.

Speaking of battle, with Willard's sanctuary I became unstoppable where half the enemies did 0 damage. Some bosses almost killed a character a couple of times though, like that ogre who just hated Emmet xD.  I decided not to use the level orb so I could play through the battles normally.

I liked how enemies dropped items to sell, kinda reminded me what I was going for with my first game on here, but it does seem kind of odd always seeing the 0G in the item spoils screen. If you wanted I could look into editing the script for you to only show gold amount when an enemy drops it.

With Shade I killed pretty much all normal enemies without worrying about MP since Fireball only cost 1 MP for me even though she has over 100 MP to start.

Because of the font size, the HP term became covered while on the battle window and the level up window once the HP went into the thousands. If you can; I'd make it so the font size for HP/MP/TP is slightly smaller during battle.

Shade is hilarious, especially when mushrooms are involved.

I idled for a bit during the undead forest dragon fight since the battle music was totally awesome.

Even though you warned players that from here on out it's not as polished, still figure you could use some feedback in these areas as well. In the forsaken town you have a few passability issues like walking all over the walls inside houses.

Once I got past the Lamia's riddles I had to stop there because a script error occured on an "Event Window" script at line 238; it happened as soon as I took the ladder out of the sewers. The same error occured whenever I tried to get an item with the sword bubble over it, so I had to stop there.

With where you want players to stop qualitywise you've definitely come a long way since the last time I played through the game. You don't have to worry about maps looking bad as you've gotten much better at it, and even though it's the default battle system you've added a few evented things and types of skills that make it unique and more fun to play through.

I didn't have any trouble in the battles, but I spammed DEF UPs like there was no tomorrow xD.

I'll definitely keep checking on the thread for more updates. I am now wondering what everyone knows about a certain someone that Emmet doesn't know.

cane_danko, Dalph and Bonkers like this.
  6. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was pretty excited for this big update because I'm one of the old fans of this game, so I decided to give immediately another try to it! Here are my (updated) thoughts so far:

Honestly. Everyone's going to skip this intro.
    Nope, not Lord Dalph...Lord Dalph never skips an intro of a game and if it's a good game like this one, he watches it more than one time.

Custom SEs in the menu and a new cool windowskin (I like it), I see you also made a very nice map for the intro, although a WIP it looks good ingame. I remember you mentioned the fonts you're using in that old Status Update and you were right, they look good and readable ingame, so nothing to say about them. You also added a keyboard and a gamepad image ingame...these are all nice touches for sure.
    As Arkecia mentioned, you also added YF's gab window to show the inner thoughts of the characters, this is another point in your favour.Man, your mapping is definitely a lot better than before! It's pretty good right now, I love how the town looks now, plus the Altar Room ToSC and all those custom things in it...so nice.

The only thing I suggest about mapping is...to make the wall-tree tiles just 1 tile taller (and no more), they will look better this way ingame.

And there's Ulrika in the INN!!!! OMG...AND I LOVE THE PUNCH BEARS REFERENCE! AHAHAHAH!
    As Arkecia already said, the magic circle puzzle for entering into the tent was a pretty awesome idea and very original.

Man, all those freakin behavior poses and the beastmen sprites, they look so awesome ingame, fantastic work on them...also that animated floating book as a savepoint, it looks great (you made it yourself?), I like also the custom icons you made for the skills.

The music choice is awesome, now I don't remember if you added\changed something from the old version but I freakin love the tracks you used in this game.
    It would be nice if you will restore the full Hp of Emmet and Willard after they level up for the first time into the Lighthouse, but this is just a personal preference. I see you also increased the speed animation of the skills, I'm sure Cristopher would approve this as much as I do, also nice job on the Smite and Libra skills...I'm impressed by those nice animation effects.

Again as Arkecia mentioned, I think you need to buff the ATK of some enemies, since a lot of them can barely damage you, and yes...if I launch Sanctuary with Willard I can become basically a god against them.

Queen Lite II and the Ogre were challenging enough to be the first two bosses so nothing to say about them.

----

Shade: This rock contains no magic whatsoever.

Emmet: Thank you Shade. That was very helpful.

Shade: You're welcome.

Man, Emmet's sarcasm is so awesome...ahahahahahah

----

I remember the Emperor's Lacky was my nightmare in the old version and things haven't changed much also here...cool, if you buff your defense however, you can deal with him without troubles.

The Undead Forest Dragon and the Lich were both challenging, although I owned the 2nd one badly by casting Magic Reflect at the start with Shade.

So I stopped playing after recruiting Wolfe, as you suggested in the demo, since the refined demo finished there.

And I repeat myself, Shade is your best character ever.

BUGS\MISTAKES:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's also a little typo on the old note in the Third Floor of the Lighthouse, "Inisde is".
    Gotta love the updates so far, looking forward to see and eventually play the rest. Good job lion king...ahahah

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    Susan, Bonkers and Arkecia like this.
  7. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry it took so long to respond.  I was helping with Dad being exited from the hospital and right now he has no leg strength.  

@ Dalph RyU-or Kaminagi Kou  did the save point graphic:  http://www5.hp-ez.com/hp/white-patisserie/sozai  He is an extremely talented man, and his crystal tileset and floating characters are absolutely wonderful.

I did change some things, there are now no square soft songs inside any of the areas or phantasy star battle theme.  Those were replaced with original songs from composers.

I hope you noticed Schthuz's Empire's Theme during the lackey fight =3

EDIT: Before I forget Dave Bright also did from the roots for the Nexus Druid dungeon.  

Good News: Magic Reflect is now instant cast =3

Thank you for all your compliments, I wish Christoper could see it.  I don't know if he moved on with himself or if he is currently busy with his personal matters and school, but in the end I hope he would feel that way too.  I see he hasn't logged in since the end of February so I haft to assume he is terribly busy.

@Arkecia I made the ring *10% thinking it would reduce cost of mana spells by 10%.  As a mathematician I am personally ashamed of myself.  It has been correctly adjusted to *90%.  She isn't meant to have that kind of limitless mana, and it makes her steam roll very fast.  I'll be giving Libra a mana regen ability and lowering the size of her mana pool shortly. 

Yes, good point about the font size.  I noticed that too late.  I shrunk it down about 4 sizes, and so far I've seen no mistakes my end even in victory aftermath.  Sunday's test will tell for sure if the playtester approves as well.  

Thank you very much for compliments =D Willard will soon have his defense ups taken away.  He will still retain sanctuary though.  I'm enacting your advice for the tester build in hopes they will see some damage.

It looks like things were well received for the most part and that makes me happy all the hard consistent work paid off =3  I'm working on the other half of the game to clean up the events and broken script calls or missing items that were referencing to the database and causing those crashes Arkecia found.  So far I think I got them all.  I'll be relying on another play tester this weekend to stream content with yanfly instant cast and ace battle engine installed to see if we feel it's right or keep things as is.

Since we've got a good handle on things I'll be going back through the database and uping attack for enemies as requested, as well as agility for some to give them a chance to damage you.  A few changes are below the cut for the Alpha .23 for next week or the following before the next GMD:

[​IMG]

Willard's Sanctuary now costs 100TP and is instant cast (Does not use a turn)

Emmet's Roar and Leonic Rage are combined.  It no longer does damage, but is instant and will call on provoke for himself and TP regen for everyone.  This is also cost free at the moment.  I may change it in the future depending on Sunday's testing results.

Feldspar's description was shortened.

Willard has too many skills, so I will trim him shortly.

Willard's Sword Spells have been decreased in power by half the base damage.

Shade's Libra cannot be made to instant cast without causing an error, due to the fact it opens a message box which dismisses the ace battle engine hud.  I am uncertain why this happens, but the hud functions, just dismissing the actor face graphics.  I've posted a support thread in hopes I can remedy this, but it isn't necessary Libra be instant cast when it debuffs the enemy and buffs shade all at the same time.

Transfers to the world map were corrected

Events and script calls that reference the old database purged items and crashed the game are now corrected.

Tileset and pass ability errors mentioned were corrected.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    Dalph and Arkecia like this.
  8. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

Now I saw, some one else has beaten me in animations.. I thought it was only me who does animations for his game..

But truly, I love this game and concept from my heart, keep it up, don't let your talent fall on floor.

Bonkers likes this.
  9. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah thank you Zellett Boy, though I think you mean behaviors.  

Quick Update on development:

It looks like the time to remove the quest indicators has come.  Now this happened to have been put into the game where things were very up in the air, and 

unfocused.  Now the project is taking shape, and no longer needs them to assist with those testing or playing to successfully make it through

the intended path.

Another criticism that popped up was not allowing the player to explore.  Emmet by this nature is not a very adventurous fellow, but the player wants this

and is in control of Emmet.  So I will need to compromise, and open up areas before their time or institute plot barriers to allow exploration more freely.

Alas, the scene with Emmet and Willard didn't take the way I wanted too.  To be repetitively told the scene fails, I'll have to resort to more extreme measures.

First off I am not going to have the two sprites chase around the place.  More artwork will be done for the scene, along with the interaction of the sprites 

in a kissing behavior.  Aside from that I thought I had solved the problem of people standing around while talking, though people just want more active

and involved cut scenes.  This will require more time. I'll do what I can as time allows, but I cannot promise to please everyone.

We have established that scene is lacking, and we can fix it.

The Database.  This will take the most time of all.  Since it is Easter weekend my time is not my own.  I'll reserve a project this big for the GMD.  I've shortened

down the list of monsters, so I can adjust things as needed.  I had planned not to participate in the next GMD, but now I see I can't skimp.  The damage taken by the party was

too great last build, and now it is far too little.  Time to find that happy medium.

Vendor trash is so odd.  People wanted it, now they don't to the point where if it's found it makes some players outright displeased.  While I can certainly make items more expensive I 

won't diminish time spent fighting.  

This is also the first time I heard of someone asking for a crafting feature, and I displayed nor mentioned any such device inside the

game nor posted any information of one in the thread.  This seems to be an assumption. I never promised such a feature in my initial post or otherwise after editing the OP.

Perhaps it must be clearly stated Emmet and his friends have no discernible trade skills and there is no point to learn any when the people of town can do things for them

as needed.  The Blacksmith can refine mithril found into items, but that doesn't mean I intended for a full scale system.  

The alpha is functional and allows players to see the changes to the areas available in the previous version.  

For early development I feel that is satisfactory.  It will remain up as I've gotten too much variety feedback to ignore much needed changes.  

I'll be updating it when I get things in order.

People certainly expect a lot out of an RM game, I wasn't prepared for such a high standard of performance for noncommercial early concept.

I am overjoyed people have lent themselves to giving me the type of criticism expected from a project development or finished game.  That in itself is highly encouraging!

Thank you.

I knew I didn't have what it takes for commercial and felt I'd be given more slack for having a down to earth more fluid game.  

People seem to expect a lot more out of me than that, which is good.  Very good.  We're in a much better position than before.

One more thing, for those that play the font is extensive; but only requires the "Regular" version be installed.  I left the others inside as a courtesy but it seems to be rather confusing to keep a complete font folder.  I'll leave the simple font out in the main folder for next build.  Whether the player  decides to install it or not is another matter.  With the experience of putting giant dancing arrows inside of a game, I quickly learned you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink, or stop drinking for that matter.  It's simply out of my hands to otherwise provide it.

Portraits are being worked on, and I need to get to spriting again after the holiday is over.  I've got my laptop set up, so I should be good to go next week.  I really wanted to try Vex Enigma's new tileset and I've got more auto tiles from Japanese artist 289k for DS resources I wanted to test and refine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    Arkecia, Evan Finkel and Dalph like this.
  10. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm finally getting around to playing your game and from what I've played so far of the beginning I'm liking it!

My favorite thing is all of the custom art. It's obvious you have placeholders for some stuff but I can imagine it's going to look great with how everything is starting to shape up.

If I get around to completing it I will write you a more extensive review but I must say, good job so far. 

You've obviously put a lot of thought into the lore and construction of the game! 

I've thought about doing this myself for my game but have you thought about Voice overs? With the right voice actors I feel like it would be awesome with the dialogue you have for certain parts. I could imagine some cool stuff with the dynamics of your characters.

Anyway, keep up the great work my friend!

cane_danko and Bonkers like this.
  11. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much =3 It means a lot to hear that from you when you put a lot of time and love into your own project which shows.  I'm about to download your new build and take a look at the changes myself.  I just wish I had more time during the day to finish up certain aspects.  

Ha! If only.  I don't have the money for voice actors and to be honest if the work doesn't stand off the page and grab someone's attention as text, then there is no point for me to even write it.  So while the idea of voice over for a comedy would be nice, I don't think it will happen for this project.  Emmet is a very heavy set effeminate guy, and it's difficult to get a voice actor in that vein like Michael Clark Duncan that is butch; and macho and willing to be fruity =D

Though it is a nice idea for the snappy back and forth!  You're right it would be nice in say a cut scene or area of focus.

Will do, I am off to download yours now =3

JacobM likes this.
  12. kj3400

kj3400 Hmph Master Veteran

Baltimore, MD, N America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well I finished playing it. HA didn't expect me to play it did you :p Hmph, you should know I am full of surprises.

Anyway I jotted some things down and I will put them in this spoiler ↓

First off, I want to say, this is the first time I've done this, so I'm not really sure how to do this, but I will do my best.

The good parts:

I must say I did like the music. Excellent all around, no complaints.

I enjoyed the dialogue. Many funny quips, much 4th wall breaking. SO MANY REFERENCES THAT I UNDERSTAND XD I didn't get the 'love that percussion' thing, but meh. I loved seeing what Shade had to say after scanning enemies and what the chars said after battles.

The arrows pointing to things helped. I generally don't do well with trying to find things on my own and all the floating icons were helpful.

Now on the items that could be improved (if people have already mentioned this, feel free to ignore me):

Unless it was intentional, the forest maze map is misaligned between the bottom and top.

The chars are facing the wrong way entering Nexxus B3 (up instead of down)

When you go back to the harbor with the boat, the boat gets stuck on the dock tiles

The emperor's lackey boss battle had me thinking it was an unwinnable boss battle, then I died. XD

Lol you just put a (2) on one of the items. That's not really a improvement, I just thought it beared pointing out.

Numbers start overlapping after HP exceeds 1k in results level up screen.

There are some spelling and grammar issues, but I couldn't really jot them down. If you would like me to go back in and look at it, I'd be happy to do so.

And then after the demo comments:

-pub rickroll. hate you. XD

-Wolfe's Uncanny Dodge aids enemy instead of wolfe

-is sub flare supposed to be for one enemy or all of them? currently for one

-blank page on end of journal entries in cell

-one of the troops has enemies hiding behind each other
    Overall, it's good, but still some items to polish, but I think I could get into this. Looking forward to the next build. Great work!

Bonkers likes this.
  13. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Overall, it's good, but still some items to polish, but I think I could get into this. Looking forward to the next build. Great work!
    Heya!  Thanks for taking a look at the game and the feedback.  It means a lot.

Actually you are the first\second person I recall who actually returned to the actual docks and parked there.  I'll but a ocean\land tile underneath to prevent it being able to go there anymore.  Thank you. I hadn't realized there are so many assumptions with replaying the same project and people don't try everything or experiment so it went unnoticed when I looked at it last.

I'll take a look at the forest maze again, and at that transfer.  It's possible fixing a great number of them I've missed a few.

Emperor's Lackey is one of those fights I wanted to feel was unwinnable, but you pull though.  Items are a big help here with the silence and the evented damage on top of regular damage. 

I think what needs to happen now that I've gotten some fresh feed back is put in a losable continue event should the player at an extreme fight.  While the more hardcore would complain, it's something I'd like to keep up in challenge for the sake that Lackey is a very power veteran.  No punishment for failing the fight, it's more of a indicator if people were ready for the nexus dungeon bosses.

Pub was never meant to be a rick roll- but worked out as a joke in itself as I wanted an instrumental fun song.  I heard this instrumental remix of "Never give you up," and figured it was harmless so long as there were no vocals.  I have plenty of back up music should people grow tired of it.

Sorry ^^

I'll have to look at which one, but if it's the thieves that's about as stealthy as they can get without hide visibility.  I didn't want to make it so you defeated a random enemy to have more appear.  That's the sort of thing a boss encounter has.  I'll look into moving those to clarify.

Hmm, lemme look at that journal. Yup. Nuked it, thank you.  I don't recall added a blank dialogue window, it must have happened during a copy paste.  

Did you mean Wolfe's Signal Flare or Willard's Sun Flare spell?

I understand about the numbers.  What happened is I erased the arrows entirely from the script, so it took the distance between the stats and narrowed it.  I need to add some spaces and that should fix that there, but I didn't realize till just now with all the excitement involving my personal issues with dad's health.  Seeing your post jogged it in my memory, so I can fix it now =3

No need about the spelling errors etc, I don't wanna abuse your time when you've gone above and beyond already.  Thanks for the offer.

The floating icons were an issue in the last let's play, but the majority of people like them as well as the play testers who swear by them.  I'll do Dalph's suggestion and make them a switch the player can enable or disable.

You did really well for your first feedback, and I am very grateful you spent your time to help make the game better.  Much appreciated =D

EDIT:  I just wanted to say going back to the docks I was able to add a conditional(Down is being pressed) since it's only approachable from one direction on land; and was able to remedy the problem thanks to your help. =)  

Edit:  I think I got the bug with the numbers all ironed out.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  14. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh gee, another Alpha came out while I was gone!! Downloading it right now! I hope I can find time to give it a play; I've been looking forward to this!

Also that little sprite of Willard pushing up his glasses is super cute <3 As if I needed more reasons to love this character ha!

Bonkers likes this.
  15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Started playing this yesterday, I didn't realize you had a demo out before now, silly me. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Bonkers likes this.
  16. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmph, my post is bigger. XDDD

-

Jokes aside now, this is one of the few games here that I never get tired of playing again...and again...and again...(like Project Oscine and The Magi Chronicles).

I believe that good characterization and fun gameplay are both part of the reason of why I never get tired of it, and of course Shade contributes too! I love women with a good sense of humor (yeah Arkecia I'm talking to you too)...ahahah

Susan and Bonkers like this.
  17. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey all.  Unfortunately I've been preoccupied with Dad's health for the past week as his health declines further.  I'm getting ready for the GMD tonight, and hope to have some material done as well as some badly needed edits done to the database for Emmet and Willard.

[​IMG]

I've been working on a way to show tattered rugs, rips, holes, and overlay water damage like I've done with the slums for the Undead Castle.  So far things are going well with the sample, and I feel we'll be ready to have the maps get some additional character and atmosphere.  Unfortunately with other projects when a structure or fort is attacked, and damaged the rugs tend to be in pristine condition.  I tried this on a much smaller scale with the lighthouse, but I feel confident enough now to apply it for any auto tile through a B-E tile set.  Debris can be added on a needed basis.

Emmet and Willard are getting a special behavior for that scene which I can never get right, which is currently being worked on today.  So far I can see this will be the most complicated behavior yet.

[​IMG]

Dark Metamorphosis got his sample puzzle for the magic circle on a large 25 tile scale along with written comments, instructions, and editable function.  Canadics got her Pig behavior and seems to enjoy it.  that leaves B.Ultimas's 8D sprites for the remaining two characters I am currently going over.  Next month I'll also be doing some sprite work for ShinGamix for a custom DS characters, etc.  I am very happy people have taken an interest in my work.  So far a majority of people have enjoyed my feedback as well, and it looks like I've got a few more acquaintances.  

I solved the "password" issue Dark was having, and sent him a fix which he enjoyed.  It's very simple, and I'll be sharing it with you all as well.  Nested conditional statements are nice like that.    

[​IMG]

I used a switch to control if a wrong response was used, and one for a correct response to lock the puzzle.

Now the three most common answers regardless of capitalization will be right.

I've been considering doing a more elaborate magic circle with multiple layers and colors, and think the idea could apply to different maps across an entire dungeon now.

[​IMG]

If you require an example, I can post it to my puzzle sample thread I started last year.  I'll have a link for it my signature soon enough.  People tend to overlook puzzles, and what they add.  I consider them the same as any other resource.

Noah as well received, and I am looking over the RTP sprites to pick another for conversion.  I also have that ratman sprite to finish up and DS Shade.

cane_danko and Dalph like this.
  18. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @palladinthug:

Oh man...I'm so sorry about your father's health, I really wish he will feel better soon, even if I don't know him he's in my thoughts all the time. Gorgeous work on the carpet and on the magic circle...also that awesome behavior sprite is amazing (and I can see all the hard work you put into it).

I always wanted to say that you're a valuable member of this community, I said this countless times but I'm never tired to repeat it, and you don't know how much I appreciate people like you.

Best wishes to you and to your father palladinthug.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
    Susan and Bonkers like this.
  19. Deceius

Deceius The Vintage Tiger Cub Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The story and the world's interaction to the player is promising. I really like how people act towards each other, and it seemed like I belong in the world of Emmet. 

And the battle system... it is simple, yet, exciting. Jeez.. the skills of Willard, Shade and Emmet really makes use of strategy. The teamwork of the characters is essential for victory, and I guess, that's how the main character's party should work. I guess I've found another RPG Maker game worth keeping!

I'll be looking forward for more updates! Keep up the good work!

Bonkers likes this.
  20. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Good to see this project is still going, and looking forward to the changes since the last build. Hope it gets finished soon.