SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first commercial game, DarkEnd will be released within a few days and I recently found out there is another indie game with similar title as my game called "Dark End" which apparently started since 2011, but halted/stopped in 2012 (earlier than me). I would like to know whether I should change or tweak my game's title? I don't really know about copyright law and stuff.

Apart from the name, our game's logo, visual art, theme and genre is vastly differ though.

Here is the Link to the "Dark End" and my DarkEnd can be access from my sig.

Thanks

Psyker

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't expect you to have any problems.  One, your game is DarkEnd and their game is Dark End.  Two, you aren't trying to do anything deceptive and run off any success, hype, whatever off the title mentioned beforehand.

The similarity ends at the title.  Everything else is completely different.

While I am no lawyer or legal expert, I wouldn't think they would have any grounds to come against you or your company.

This following TradeMark purchasing site says DarkEnd and Dark End is available.

http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=DarkEnd

Last edited by a moderator:

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not a legal expert, but let's take a real case. Nintendo owns the name, play station, so sony had to use the name, playstation, but it is not the same name.  I believe you are okay. 

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the answers :D

That clears things pretty much.

Edit :

Awesome name. How much will your game cost?
Actually, we haven't set a fixed price yet. Currently negotiating. But it will be around 12-15$ (even lesser with a launch discount), considering the length of the game, custom-contents we've added, and replay value of the game. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it depends on whether they've trademarked that name or not. If they haven't, then you should be safe.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Matseb has named the key distinction.

A title cannot be copyrighted; it can be registered as a trademark.  So, for example, Harry Potter titles have all been registered as trademarks.

Crifmer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If a trademark hasn't been filed, then what really matters is usage.

If that previous game has never been published in a public forum (freeware, shareware, etc), then you're home free.  If that name has been bandied about with logos, etc, then a case can be made (maybe).

If, however, it has been dormant since 2012 as you said, then I don't see a problem here.  No tradmark filed, no usage, and no damages to make claim over.  There's no lawsuit here.  Even if it has been just talked about and the name's been in public, there's still no real case since there's no product to make a case over.

The thing to keep in mind that trademarks are not protection, they're a weapon.  Even if they did have a trademark, you're not actually breaking any laws.  Well, you are are kinda, but it's a civil law - it is enforced by only the trademark holder.  There's nothing stopping you if they never actually use their trademark protection to sue for a cease and desist.  If the project's been dormant since 2012, I find that highly unlikely to happen even if they did file the trademark.  They won't get automatically alerted that you're using a similar name.  They'd have to actively find it and then ask you to stop using the name.

I don't think you have to worry unless there's a playable game out there being sold for money.

Note that I'm not a lawyer.  I've just studied IP law quite a bit in prep for my own forays into professional creativity.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).
Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emileewitt