RMMV Simple code for telling a switch to turn on when a certain key is pressed

breadpan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More specifically, I am trying to figure out how to tell the tileset to change when I press the space bar. I know how to get it to happen when I go over an event tile but I want it to happen when I press the space bar at any point. Any tips?

alltheyuriz

They System is overrated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could use a conditional branch for that couldn't you?

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Here's a decent resource for "converting" event commands into script calls:
RPG Maker MV/MZ Script Calls

In this instance, you want "$gameSwitches.setValue(num, true/false);". You'll put the switch number you want for "num", and true for on, false for off.

EDIT: I just read more specifically what you wanted. For keypress triggers I don't know off the top of my head. I know there IS key detection in script, but MV/MZ only bind functions to certain keys by default. You'd need a plugin to use other keys, I don't think spacebar is one MV/MZ uses. I remember seeing one like that floating around awhile ago, but I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is no "simple" code for what you want, because you are asking for three different things.

There is a simple javascript code to change a switch or the tileset directly, you can find that code in the list for script equivalent of the event commands.

There is also a code to check if a specific key or button has been pressed - it works a little different than you seem to assume, but can be used like that.

The problem is the third part - connecting the two and make them constantly check. If you try to use javascript that will require a full plugin to integrate into an update method and check and change what you want.

However I would suggest NOT using javascript at all - use a parallel process event for checking buttons.
That will have the problem that the conditional branch only checks for a limited set of keys, and that it might add to lag if done wrong (you'll need a good number of waits, probably 5 or so).
But it would still be easier for you to do that way.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's Yanfly's Button Common Events plugin which does this, but it's a paid plugin. I don't know if anyone has written a free equivalent.

breadpan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is no "simple" code for what you want, because you are asking for three different things.

There is a simple javascript code to change a switch or the tileset directly, you can find that code in the list for script equivalent of the event commands.

There is also a code to check if a specific key or button has been pressed - it works a little different than you seem to assume, but can be used like that.

The problem is the third part - connecting the two and make them constantly check. If you try to use javascript that will require a full plugin to integrate into an update method and check and change what you want.

However I would suggest NOT using javascript at all - use a parallel process event for checking buttons.
That will have the problem that the conditional branch only checks for a limited set of keys, and that it might add to lag if done wrong (you'll need a good number of waits, probably 5 or so).
But it would still be easier for you to do that
Thanks. Your suggestion was right on the money. It took some trial and error but I figured out the right combination of 5 frame waits and 30 frame waits with a parallel process on a conditional switch.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My friend just gave me chocolate milk at lunch today! My day is now 1000x better. Yay, choco milky!! :kaojoy:
RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonSandwich