Simple QoL idea when using a Face Set Template

Raths Rants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So in my "never to be finished project", each NPC has at least 4 face variations. These default to Normal, Happy, Sad, Mad. Every character has a custom face set and .json file if they have a dialog interaction with the player.

I'm forgetful, so I would constantly reference the template. The first row I never had much trouble with. The second row, well...

I normally use my templates externally when editing something specific that can't be handled in the generator. I have been doing it this way forever. Then I got the idea, why not just add the templates to the appropriate directories.

For me, I get the most out of making custom face sets. From characters to various icons. I feel they help enhance the dialog box.

I am sure most everyone knows how to import and use the character generator. I'm a hobbyist, my little project is for my enjoyment. So for me, using the prefab character parts is fine.

Skill Level: Novice

1) Place your template image in the proper directory. Your welcome to use this one. Free to use however you see fit, no credit needed. 100 other people have made the exact same set of templates.
2) Open the generator and make your character's face.
3) Click Import and select the template image.
4) Click Export and rename the image so you don't overwrite the original image.
5) Modify face image and re-import the new file. Choose a different tile spot. The face image will completely cover the selected tile space.
6) Click Export and overwrite the new file. This is to prevent multiple files for the same tileset.

000_Face_Grid.png
000_Face_Grid_tut.png

It's nothing groundbreaking or earthshattering. It's helped me simplify one more thing. This way I can continue to actually work on the important stuff like slacking, procrastination, and uhh progress...

- edited for formatting

Last edited:

WickedWolfy

Touch Fluffy Tail!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
En, De, Ru
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for putting this idea forth. I have spent many-a-hour debating on how to make these work well without the extra overhead and make a plugin for it... I still have not reached that point, but this gives ideas.

My one question is (a bit offtopic) - why have you picked "those specific emotions"?
Last time I tried to put together a model of "emotions" for the character, I ended up with 14-something. And that's consolidated from over 60, I think. I went through the whole model of "human emotions" as related to facial expressions.

Raths Rants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first row is for basic emotions. The second row is for extreme emotions. "Other" is what I use for defeated characters.

Most emotions can be multi-purpose and can be easily sub-categorized. The image for happy can be substituted for another similar emotion without requiring a unique graphic. Since I tend to over complicate things I really wanted to simplify the process. I settled on the most versatile and common emotions that are easy for me to remember.

If you have a more defined emotion set, requiring additional graphics to represent them, add more sprite sheets. All I did was label them to help me keep my assets organized.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"
I've reconsidered having a subclass system for my first two games since there will already be plenty of variation in playable actors and usable items in the games. The third game will need it because of the basis for the story but I want the actors in the first two to be more focused in their roles.
Behold! The Sea Doggo.
I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenBratva