Simple "random" nickname system + 'sneaking' system?? Help?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by amberheartdameddycat, Nov 12, 2014.

1. amberheartdameddycat

amberheartdameddycat Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello! I'm sorry to post this here as I wasn't sure whether this qualified as simple/beginner stuff - I'm assuming it does, and I'm just too much of a noob to realize how easy it probably is. So...

Basically, I'm trying to create a game with quite a few 'intricate' systems - including a character select at the start (which I've already managed to create using events), but also the possibility of an eventual 'random' (not truly random, however) nickname system, and the implication of a 'sneaking' or 'crouching' system by holding down a button in a few specific areas.

I've tried so far with events to figure out these two, but I'm having some issues! So I thought I'd try and ask for help.

--

As for the first thing - basically, at the start of the game, the player can select from a range of characters and then input their chosen character name through Name Input Processing. I've got that down fine. However, later on, there is to be a character who assigns the player a nickname based on their appearance - and I'd like there to be a few possible nicknames for each appearance, randomly assigned each time you play? If... that makes sense? So, for instance (and these examples aren't even close to the real nicknames/character types, hahaha - just for example) if the player chose a short red-haired fighter girl at the start, the NPC would call them either 'Shorty,' 'Ginger,' or 'Fists.' If the player chose a tall blonde female wizard, the NPC would call them 'Legs,' 'Blondie,' or 'Wiz.' Etc. etc. etc. down the line of available characters.

Now, I figured I would need a dummy actor to take the nickname, so that the main actor can still have the correct character name (and I could use \n[dummy#] for the nickname in speech), so I've got that set up - and I think maybe I'd need to use variables, like a random 1-3 assigned, to choose what the character nicknames you? But I can't figure out past that, and I'm having trouble setting it up. Any help would be appreciated!

---

And as for the second issue - the 'sneaking' system - basically, in a few very specific areas in the game, I'd like for the player to be able to hold down CTRL (or just press it and unpress it, if necessary - like if holding down isn't possible) to enter a 'crouching/sneaking/detect magic' mode, where their graphic changes to a sneaking graphic I've made, their transparency goes to 50 percent, their speed slows down significantly, and hidden magical items are revealed to them. I don't even know where to start with this one though. I know how to change Actor Graphic in events, and change transparency - but I don't know how I'd begin making that work with the CTRL button system, or how I'd 'reveal' hidden items? Would I have to transport the player to an entirely different map every time they held down the button, with the hidden items shown on that map, etc? And how can I prompt an event to work when a button is held down?

---

I'm really sorry if these questions are way simple or something (or way complex, and I shouldn't have made a thread.) But any help is definitely appreciated!! Thank you so much for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmmm....well, you could start by setting CTRL to turn on a switch, then the items only show up if the switch is on. But, not sure how to set CTRL to be able to turn on a switch. I think you would need a script for that one.

3. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Without scripts, this won't look elegant, but you can give this a try :

For the first problem, assuming you are using different actors in your database to generate different sprites, you use this script call in multiple branches to check which actor is the party leader :

$game_party.members[0] == $game_actors[x]

where x is the actors' location in the database.

So if you have 5 possible character choices, you will have 5 separate conditional branches.

Under each conditional branches, set a variable to a random number (1-3). Under that, create 3 separate conditional branches, each checking that variable for a number - 1, 2, or 3.

Create your text message with different nicknames under each branch.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this, though.

For the second problem, you would most likely need a script for that.

Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  4. amberheartdameddycat

amberheartdameddycat Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the reminder that conditional branches exist, Susan. Lol... I completely forgot. The way I have it set up, I actually have all 'character choices' as the same actor (because my game is not really much like the example I gave - there are no true classes, so the only true difference between each character is appearance and gender) but with the Graphic changed at the beginning after the character select, and a switch turned on reflecting which choice they made. This way I can still use \n[1] for the name for all text. But now thanks to you I have it set up so that the nicknaming system works fine!

And... ah. So a script is necessary for the second thing, you think? Yeah, bgillisp, that's my problem... I'm not sure how I'd go about making something happen when someone presses a certain key? Is it even possible, or am I being silly?

5. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't know how to use it or set it up, but you could use Vlue's Special Keybinds script or Fomar0153's Keyboard Module for detecting key presses. The actions you are requesting for pretty much calls for custom scripts.

Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All you would really need, I believe, is a bit of script that says when whatever button is pushed, it turns on a switch. Player transparency and speed can be controlled through the set move route control in the event page. So the switch would turn on an event that controlled those things, as well as triggered the hidden items.

I'm on my phone so I'm not certain atm what exactly how you'd need to script it, but it really shouldn't be too difficult I don't think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  7. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For the sneaking thing...

You make a conditional branch, select the script option there and input this:

Input.trigger?:)CTRL)It will return true when the player pressed the button, false otherwise.
    This won't account for holding the button thou.

You would need to use this instead for that:

Code:
    Input.press?(:CTRL)
    But using this method can slow down your game significantly or even stop your game entirely if not making the right conditional branches inside this conditional branch, because this will execute everything inside the conditional branch repeatedly and if you set a lot of things there, the game will get an FPS drop, quite a big one.