Simple Sprite Formatting Tutorial

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Greetings Community, I have decided to make a simple sprite formatting tutorial for RPG Maker VX Ace. I prefer to use Paint.net but other software should suffice as well.

- 1st step is to create a new .png image which is 100 by 100 pixels.

- 2nd step is to mark the corners of the 100 by 100 pixel square (Optional: Delete the white space to make it transparent.)

Tutorial Screenshot 1.png

- 3rd step requires adding more pixels to the image, we're going to multiply the horizontal and vertical pixels of the square by 3 and 4 making our square a 300 by 400 pixel rectangle.

Tutorial Screenshot 2.png

Tutorial Screenshot 3.png

- 4th step involves coping and pasting our marked corners so that they fill up the empty space.

Tutorial Screenshot 4.png

Tutorial Screenshot 5.png

Tutorial Screenshot 6.png

- 5th step involves copying and pasting you're sprite so that you can use it as a place holder for future sprites.

Tutorial Screenshot 7.png

Tutorial Screenshot 8.png

Tutorial Screenshot 9.png

Tutorial Screenshot 10.png

- 6th step is to save you're sprite sheet as such " $example.png ". (The reason for the " $ " sign in the beginning of the name is because RPG Maker VX Ace will recognize that .png graphic as a 3 by 4 sprite sheet instead of 12 by 8 sprite sheet.)

I hope this tutorial helps you, feel free to leave a question, comment, or pm me, thanks.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks, Encrypted Knight. I was wondering why you chose a 100 by 100 base.

I didn't ever know about the "corners" option. I use GIMP, so I will look for it. ty.

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi GrandmaDeb, the reason I choose to use a 100 by 100 base is because I thought it would make things easier to understand for the reader and it gives the user the option to adjust the sprites accordingly. The corners are just place holder's for copying and pasting; This is a method I developed by trial and error and it seems really simple. I used to use Gimp but I found Paint.net and haven't went back since. Thank you for reading and I am glad this tutorial helped you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohannBecker