Simple Yet Elegant Inventory, Battle, and Shop Menu

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by Burgerland, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Burgerland

Burgerland Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't like clunky menus. I'm a fan of "clean" menus like Final Fantasy X, rather than "complex" menus like Xenoblade Chronciles. These menus I want aren't like either one, though, they're just what I want for my time travel game. If a script (or scripts) already exists for this kind of thing, please link me to it (or them) - the master list of scripts is very long!

Battle Menu:

menu battle.png

On the player's turn, you start at the Attack menu, which shows the weapons and their amount. Confirm to attack to scroll through the weapons. It automatically highlights the weapon at the top-left. Pick a weapon, then an enemy to attack. The weapons submenu should allow for an unlimited amount of weapons, rather than limit the player's choice. Cancel attack to scroll the other menus: Items (items), Defense (defend), and Run (escape). Defense allows you to either defend yourself, an ally, or the whole party, or cancel. Cancel to navigate the menus. Lastly, the battle screen includes the player and enemies' health represented by hearts, but that's not part of the menu.

Inventory Menu:

menu inventory.png

When the inventory is opened, you start at the Stats menu, which shows the player's current health (represented by hearts), the player, and the player's gold, level, EXP, attack points, and defense points. There are two other menus: Items, Weapons, Armor and Recruits, Treasures, Keys. When you scroll to these menus, they show their contents in three submenus. Confirm to enter a menu to select an item, a piece of armor, a weapon, a treasure, a key, or a recruit from the submenus. It automatically highlights the top selection. The submenus should allow for an unlimited amount of content. Once selected, you can either examine, use (if possible), or discard something, or cancel. Cancel to navigate the submenus, cancel again to navigate the menus, and cancel a third time to close the inventory.

Shop Menu:

menu shop.png

The shop menu begins at the Buy menu, which shows purchasable items and their prices (same goes for the Sell and Trade menus, only they show you what the items are worth). At the bottom left is your total gold. Confirm to buy to scroll through the items. It automatically highlights the top item on the list. Cancel to scroll the other menus: Sell and Trade. Once you select something to buy, sell, or trade, it shows you the item's description and how much of it you already own, plus you can either: (for buy) haggle to lower the price of an item, buy and automatically equip it, or just buy it, or cancel; (for sell) inflate to raise the price of an item, sell everything in your inventory, or just sell an item, or cancel; and (for trade) choose which of your items to exchange for the item you've already selected in the shop, trade and automatically equip the item you've traded for, or just trade, or cancel. Cancel to navigate the menus, cancel again to exit the shop menu.

Finally, the highlights (weapons, enemy to attack, items, and selections) are signified by red outlines. I'm not sure what colors the menus, submenus, and highlights should be, so I'd like the menu colors to be customizeable by the developer. If you have any questions about my request, please feel to ask them and I'll do my best to answer me as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  2. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    It might take a while for someone willing to do that script here in the request board unless they are really free in time.

Mainly because what you want there might sound simple in words, but it's actually a big structure change of the default game engine.

The battle part will require a rewrite in at least 4-6 classes in the default script. The menu part will actually be a brand new script project by itself. The shop part where you request the haggle and bartering options will require to add some new elements and change how the default shop works and probably effecting pricing and how the event read and call the shops too. It's not a small project there. And such scripts often ended up not being compatible with other custom scripts, making its public usefulness very limited. For a free script that's supposed to be widely used, this one's a little too much work with too few demands.

Not that I am saying you won't get help here in the normal request board, but just a suggest that you might be able to get faster help if you put this up in the classified board with commission offered.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/55-classifieds/

Try post a classified request there while giving your request here a bump every 72 hours (board rules) might help you get your request filled faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
    Burgerland likes this.
  3. Burgerland

Burgerland Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you! I don't have the money to commission things, so I'm hoping someone sees this, commissions some scripts like it, and then I can than use those scripts for my game.

4. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    Commissioned scripts are a bit different, most aren't made public since they are tailored for certain game and that game only. And most don't work well with other custom scripts openly (like i explained in the previous post). So unless both the client and the script maker agreed on letting it public, those scripts normally are not published for public use.

You can try break down your request to a few smaller requests to see if someone is willing to pick them up. But the more scripts there is, the easier they will conflicts. So make sure you post whatever custom scripts you are using in your posts so the script writers can be prepared.

edit:

if you don't mind they don't look the same as your format layout in mind, you might be able to find those scripts separately in the master script list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016