Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
SimpleQuest
A One-Map Challenge

Description
SimpleQuest is a basic, tropes-y RPG. Leave home, collect cool stuff, make some friends, help your neighbours and don't forget to save the world! However, there's one big twist: the game will all take place on a single map. This will mean design will need to be extra careful, as only one tileset (A + B-E) can be used (well, not technically true, but I plan to use no tileset swaps). Also, layout of individual places such as the world map, town, houses, caves, dungeons all need to be carefully managed so that no indication of other maps is found for each area.

Current plans include a town, at least four houses/shops and a mini-dungeon in the town, at least one cave, and at least one castle, as well as a small world map.

Features
  • Single map for all areas
  • Single carefully-assembled tileset
  • Characters by Antifarea/CharlesGabriel (with modifications for side battles for party characters)
  • Map graphics by Henry Software
  • Side-view battles (graphics by monta!)

Challenges
  • Area design
    • Areas need to be designed so that other areas can't be seen from an individual area. Attention also needs to be paid to passability so that moving from one area to another in ways that weren't intended can't happen.
  • Tileset design
    • I only plan to use a single tileset, so that needs to be put together carefully so that everything fits. However, I'm not using one that has been optimized for RPG Maker, and there's no real way to do that, either, without a lot of extra work. As such, I will be trying to cram as much as possible into A5 and B-E tiles.
  • Events
  • Mostly applying to monsters, I will need a way to reset monster events without relying on Delete Event, as it's rather not applicable when you're never leaving the map.

Changes Since Start
The first choice in planning this project to get cut has occurred - the on map monsters. It is actually quite hard to design a map that allows for pathways to be blocked by monsters and still look good - especially a forest area. So instead, I will use regions for the random battles.

Screenshots
Yay, the beginnings of a screenshot section!

Last edited:

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sounds like a really interesting challenge and a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the result! I really like the looks of the graphics you plan on using too - I'm a sucker for well made, low-res pixel art~

Do you plan on making the project unencrypted so people can see how you've gone about making it? Not saying you should or anything, I'm just curious. Also, is this challenge a part of some event or just something you feel like doing for fun/experience?

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's something I thought of the other day while remembering that a lot of older games were made like this - I've seen dumps of maps where basically all the shops were on a single map and used palette swaps to make them all look unique. It would probably make for a neat event/contest, too. ome of the best stuff comes out of working with heavy-handed restrictions.

I probably will leave it unencrypted and/or release the project files. I don't plan to use anything I can't distribute - anything I've paid for and plan to use is CC0, but I'm happy to support artists making cool stuff.

Vexed

Malibu Darby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's really cool. I definitely think it would make for a neat event for sure! And yeah, I totally agree about the restrictions thing - sometimes it's the best thing for creativity, bizzarely. Looking forward to seeing the project and good luck with it :D

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This looks really cool.  Good luck with it.

LxCharon

I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This concept sounds really interesting! I'm assuming you'll use a lot of region tags to track where the player is as well as affect different maps. Do you know what the size of your map is going to be?

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds neat! So each house/shop/dungeon wont have their own map?
I'm assuming you'll do something like having he roof/ceiling removed to show the rooms?

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
No, it's not like that. There's still warps into areas and should be indistinguishable from any other RPG, the only difference is it will warp you to a different area in the same map.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, that's clever.

Count me in for play testing if you need somebody down the road! Good luck on this project  :guffaw:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, an update finally - I've also updated the main post to reflect this update.

New screenshot - from the main town (yet nameless). It doesn't loop well, but a gif was needed to get a proper screenie!

Also, some news. I won't be doing on-map enemies. I don't feel like my skill with map-making matches what is absolutely necessary in order to make creative paths to limit progress based on the enemies. I will instead do random battles and have those battles decided by region IDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HimitsuYuki