Simplistic Map Design vs Poor Map Design

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Ragpuppy87, Aug 7, 2019.

1. AfroKat

AfroKat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah don't get discouraged, my first maps were atrocious. It was a 50x50 with a big spiral to the center on a single path. Aka big, empty, boring.

Small tidbits it add to your map is the pots and pans are all symmetrical and only on the top of the room. Make it more randomized. Put pots on the left and right walls, make sure they aren't symmetrical. Add extra to one side, none to another etc etc... Also rooms are square. Make it an uneven square, or a corner pop out, or takes away a corner so it looks like an L.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  2. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've studied some of the sample maps provided in the game and attempted to take the advice given to me. Most of the maps are in the pyramid so they will be similar to the previous ones I uploaded. However I have an area outside the pyramid at the very beginning of the game. I have edited it so it looks a bit different from my interior maps. This is what I came up with...

Map009.png

Marquise* likes this.
  3. DJK1NG_Gaming

DJK1NG_Gaming Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The layout is fine but the RTP Tileset Hills never look right. Just too blocky. Adding some round hills would make it look more natural while keeping the simple layout.

The way I do the desert maps is just using the Desert Battlebacks and edit it a bit.

Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  4. AfroKat

AfroKat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    See that's alot better. Still simple, but it's not poor design.

Marquise*, Aesica and Ragpuppy87 like this.
  5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your maps are certainly not abysmal, but they are a little boring. Your newest map averts the "lines and rooms" look of your older ones, and that's good - but it still lacks any area for the eye to focus on. The cactuses, flowers, and dunes, are just evenly scattered about, resulting in no significant positive nor negative space. Practice arranging them in interesting-looking bunches, lines, and "shapes" - maybe several pink flowers are growing in a corner around a lone cactus, or there's a gigantic swirl of dunes along a low wall.

The absolute best maps are the ones that tell a story through their visuals. What is the significance of this place? What happened here? Who is here, or used to be here? Does it feel alive, or dead? (Some dungeons should feel dead, but certainly not all of them.) How does it change as you progress through it, and why? What is the centerpiece of this area, the one striking feature people will remember about it? What can you find (visually) in each dead-end corner that makes it worth the small trek to get to?

Then there are also gameplay aspects to consider - what interesting activity or twist does this dungeon offer that makes it a little different from the other dungeons in your game? What landmarks are around to help the player wayfind when they get lost and can't see the map at a glance? What can the player interact with, or change about the dungeon?

It's not necessary as a beginner to get all of these things right (even getting half of them can make for a pretty good dungeon), but they are things you should at least think about, and work towards here and there, if you want to sharpen your craft.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ragpuppy87 if you want feedback on a specific map, then post it in Game and Map Screenshots. I have reminded you before that General Discussion is precisely that - general, and not for feedback on a specific individual project. As ypu keep bringing it back to ypur own game for comment

I am moving this to Game Ideas and Prototypes