Simulating a Skill Formula oustide of battle?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Hero_Claive, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hero_Claive

Hero_Claive (Phoenix Ember) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Been experimenting trying to create a window in Scene_Skill that shows hypothetical damage output of a given skill. This is easier said than done, however, as I'm having an increasing amount of trouble getting the program to return a numeric value from the skill's formula outside of battle. I'm doing this by simulating an @actor argument in the Window class and $data_enemies[999] which is just a dummy with 0 Defense. All I did after that was use @skill.damage.formula, then @actor.send(formula), but that returns an error even when the exact method is defined under Game_Battler.

I can give more examples/actual code if needed, but I'm curious if anyone knows an immediate solution to return a value for a given skill outside of battle using a hypothetical enemy. I found the precise method "make_damage_value(user, item)" but not only does it straight up return 0, it also calculates a lot of things I don't want (I only want to simulate the formula, without variance or crit).

If anyone has any idea on how to do this, I'd be more than appreciative.

2. Another Fen

Another Fen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hey there,

You were on the right track, the evaluation of the damage formula is shown in the first line of that method:
    item.damage.eval(user, self, $game_variables)

However, $data_enemies[X] is probably incompatible with most formulas. The easiest way to get a target dummy would be to use $game_actors[X] with an unused actor instead. ($data_enemies and $data_actors only contain your database settings and have a different layout than actual battlers.)

Hero_Claive likes this.
  3. Hero_Claive

Hero_Claive (Phoenix Ember) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great catch! I did try that method but like a numbskull, still tried to use $data_enemies. I created a dummy actor as you instructed and it works beautifully. Thanks a ton!