Simutaneous positive and negative charecter arc?

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Originally i wanted my book charecter to go through a negative arc. But realized people in real life are much more complicated then going through positive change, negative change or no change. So how would one write an arc were someone goes through positive and negative change simultaneously?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
sprinkling the positive with negative and viceversa?
I can't explain it, but I've seen the trope several times in TV series.
just make your universe with all the events in stand-by, and have your character walk through it all.... sooner or later, they're bound to hit a bump on a good road, or find a clear passage through hell.

keep your "just conveniently timed" events to a minimum, and instead, work with an absolute timeline.
if an event is bound to happen reasonably three days from when it first started to build up, those three days should pass for the character too, and *their* stories should develop reasonably in the space of those three days.
when the event finally happens, the character will face it being at the down end of *the previous development*, whichever *it's* result.

with that in mind, you can probably now go and watch a few drama series, and you'll spot the conveniently timed events right away, especially because they're followed by the explanation of how they came to be.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you should consider spacing the positive and negative arcs in entirely different chapters of the Story, Ideally beginning and end of the Plot. Assuming your Character isn't the Main Character, Here is example i could think of :

Beginning of the Plot
- Mr X is first introduced as a Villain with a twisted motivation and is clearly a borderline Negative Character
- Your Main Char manages to fight him / Beat him in an argument. Before this, a conversation or a quote is stressed between the two.

Middle of the Plot
- You need to involve a Backstory of Mr X, Probably through one of his acquaintance that remembers him or misses him, dearly.
- It would involve a sense of guilt for the Main Character to know that Mr X was misunderstood from the beginning and circumstances only forced him to be that way.

End of the Plot
- Just when your Main Char has forgotten all about Mr X and is now facing the Anti-Hero / End Plot, He is assisted by Mr X who appears out of nowhere and is now a transformed person.
- Instead of having to explain his Negative to Positive transformation, Mr X simply smirks and says something related to the "Conversation or Quote" that took place between the two, earlier that had him change his mind.

If this is not what you were looking for, I hope this gave you some ideas.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you asking as story writing aspect of game making?

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Are you asking as story writing?
This

@Black Pagan I'm writting a story where the charecter goes through a journey of self discovery
@gstv87 "convienently timed events" can be good if they get a charecter into trouble. If they get a charecter out of trouble, that's what you need to keep to a minumum, sense it feels really cheap. But "convienently timed events" that get a charecter out of trouble do happen in real life. So they shouldn't be avoided completley. They just need to be VERY CAREFULLY written

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello mortal, this one shall aid you in your question that is more of an expression than it is a question.

Outside of tonal consistency, positive and negative are irrelevant and multiple changes can occur at once for multiple changes usually do. We hope this answer fulfills your desire of understanding assuming it is not one of acceptance.

Good day human, and may you continue to write what you feel must be written for it is.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since this is a discussion about story writing I'm moving this to general discussion.

Moved to General Discussion.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Quite honestly, if you look up Edgic (editing logic) sites for Survivor or similar reality shows, those can be enlightening on this kind of topic about how to show someone in both a positive and negative light. Look specifically for descriptions of characters who are given a "OTTM" (Over The Top Mixed) or "MORM" (Middle Of the Road Mixed) edit.

As far as specifically undergoing positive and negative change simultaneously, the above can still be a pretty good example (real people often exhibit exaggerated versions of both their best and worst qualities when they're in a stressful, strange situation like Survivor), but a more highbrow example to look to would be Greek Tragedies. While the characters' worst traits are usually the ones growing toward the end of such tragedies, sometimes it's a more even mix, where you can see their most heroic or sympathetic traits also coming out as the tragic things start to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And (un)surprisingly, I already started developing a old project as MZ code right off from the bat. Waiting the launch anxiously...
Is there a single word I can use instead Magic Defense", but has the same meaning?
does anyone know where I could theoretically post a game i made full of copyrighted content so that I can get feedback on it

edit: not looking to make any money or anything. just want criticism
Yay! It's raining! ^.^
I decided to take part in the One Map Game Challenge. :LZSexcite:
Finished the map itself, just need to finish the actual game lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhateverImDrunk