Sin Unsullied (FULL GAME RELEASED!)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by legacyblade, Jun 9, 2014.

1. legacyblade

legacyblade Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Five days until the world ends.
    [​IMG]
    Dreams may be a result of sentience, but where does sentience come from?

There is another world that doesn't exist in the traditional sense of the word. Before this world drew close to humans, they were little more than tool-grasping apes. But with the gift of the mind comes a great cost. If our mind is a real place, then our nightmares are real creatures. And it's up to the small handfull of Reapers to defend humanity from the dark terrors lying just at the edges of their minds.

Sin Unsullied is an action RPG with visual novel elements. You only have five days to juggle building friendships, repairing your relationship with the woman you love, and growing stronger so you can stop the end of the world. The story changes based on your actions, so choose carefully.

You don't have enough time to experience everything in one playthrough, so be ready to choose what you really want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee is a nobleman who's spent his life tying to make those around him fulfill their dreams. After all, he was born with everything he could ever need. Why keep all that to himself?

But it all fell apart when he fell in love with someone he was helping. She threw away her life and became a Reaper.  And in the process, she threw Lee away as well.

With his will to help others gone, what is he to live for?
    [​IMG]
    Fayte made her way in life as a serving woman at a small tavern. Until she impressed Lee, a generous nobleman, with her ability to sing and tell stories. Now he's taken her into his world, showing her what renown her skills can earn her. Fayte could have the life she's always dreamed of if she just reaches out and accepts what she's being handed.

But there is more in life than singing and spinning tales. She had to throw it all away for something more important.

[​IMG]
    Action Battle System
    Jump right into the action! You'll need to be quick on your feet to survive the end of the world.

Branching Dialog
    Take charge of your relationships! What you say matters in Sin Unsullied. Choose your options wisely.

Immerse Music
    High quality music has been composed exclusively for Sin Unsullied creating a truly cinematic experience!

An emotional journey
    Several track of high quality music has been composed exclusively for Sin Unsullied. Truly a cinematic experience!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Writen And Directed by Spencer "Legacyblade Conrad"

Graphics:

Spencer "Legacyblade Conrad"
    Enterbrain
    Sithjester
    Kan Gao
    Land of Shadows
    Moghunter
    Rye
    Rayen
    Nessiah
    Grafikal
    Fortysixand2
    Kiriashi
    Freedesignfile
    Shutter Stock
    Tile-able
    Fame Designer
    Ruth Kosh

Music:
    Abigail Haugen
    Bryan Davis
    ReclaimedGlory
    Kunsel
    Nathangday
    Jasprelao
    Lana42

Sound Effects:
    Enterbrain
    Soundsnap
    Freesounds

RGSS Scripts:
    Enterbrain
    Blizzard
    Winkio
    Gameus
    Fantasist
    Ren-s--Joker
    Dubealex
    Maki
    和希
    Ccoa
    ForeverZer0
    Heretic
    SCMike
    Spencer "Legacyblade" Conrad

Testers:
    Ali
    Roxaszu
    Trevor Forsyth
    Mike Stephans
    Gamus
    Slimmmeiske2​

To keep up to date with Sin Unsullied, go to http://pixelbards.com/

PLEASE COMMENT ON MY RPGMAKERWEB SUBMISSION PAGE
    It will really help me out!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Sloshy

Sloshy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Wow, I'm liking the production values here! Keep up the good work! It looks a little To The Moon-esque from a glance (which is by all means an awesome thing) and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Dream3r likes this.
  3. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    He is using the RMXP rtp, which the graphics of To the Moon are heavily based on/edited from.

On topic, I think your indoor map could better utilize the space you have. It looks a bit empty-looking. I like the poses you've got going for your character sprites, though. I love seeing those touches with RPG Maker games. :)

4. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Sloshy, Thanks ^.^ Being compared to anything by Kan Gao is a huge compliment to me. Though it's probably mostly because I'm also using the RMXP RTP like Ratty said, lol. (though I do draw quite a bit of inspiration from his style of directing). Thanks for commenting :)

@Ratty524, I was debating whether or not to redo that map. Your comment has made me decide to redo it lol. Do you think the shape of the room is ok? Or should I just start from scratch on that map? Glad you noticed the poses ^.^ I put a lot of effort into them. Thanks for commenting! Thanks even more for giving advice lol.

5. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You don't necessarily have to redo the map, but try to add something, or close up the space a little bit, to break up its monotony, while at the same time being conscious of how it affects the playability of your map.

[​IMG]

The spots I circled here are spaces that (I think) you are doing nothing with, but even doing something as adding a new floor tile around where the woman is dancing (as if the room has a "dance floor") or a carpet could work.

6. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Ratty524,

Thanks for the feedback! I edited the map based on your suggestion, what do you think of it now?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  7. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The extra plants near the fireplace might be a touch bit excessive, but it is MUCH better.

8. Dream3r

Dream3r 90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Game looks great so far, keep it up!

9. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Ratty524, I'm glad it's better ^.^ Thanks for your advice. I'm trying to keep an eye out for empty spots when making new maps now.

@Dream3r, thanks :3 glad to hear it!

@all,

UPDATE EVERYONE!!!

I spent the day mapping out the main character's mansion. Man did it take forever x.x There was just so much empty space to fill in. Freaking rich people.

Here are some screenies of the mansion (they just show off a tiny bit of the mapping I did today)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want Lee's bedroom :p

Also, I did my first nightmare graphic. The enemies in the games don't exist. They and their world are what created the human subconcious (and along with it sentience) just by existing. So they're more conceptual energy than actual beings. I decided to make them scribbles and energy. I'm not sure if I like the result. It looks a LOT more lazy than it is. It took a significant amount of time to draw that thing from every angle multiple times for battle (then deciding that particular enemy only looked intimidating from the front and scrpapped the other angels x.x)

Tell me what you think

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  10. Dream3r

First Language:
    English
    If you want my honest opinion the enemies are just bad.  I get what you're going for but they didn't hit the mark.  In a game as pretty as yours it's a shame to see it fail somewhere.

The background could use some work too, they have no ground to stand on and if you're going for an imaginary "there is no ground to stand on look" then drop the foot shadows.

My opinion is just that though, my opinion but I do believe you could do better.  In the end everything about your game is your choice, make the right one and I have a good game to play, make the wrong ones and it's one less team in the competition I have to worry about.  Either way you choose is good for me.

11. Berri

Berri Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I very much love and admire your graphics! You are incredibly talented. This game looks exciting and I am eager to play it upon its completion.

As for the enemies, I personally quite like the design and concept. You have quite the artistic eye for these things.

12. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    Wow. Two responses right after eachother, both with polar oposite opinions o.o Guess I'll have to wait more to see what the general consensus on the enemies is XD

@Dream3r, I'm kinda leaning towards your opinion on them, but Berri (posted right after you) likes them. So I'm gonna gauge the general reaction to the scribbly style before I make a decision. Though I see what you mean about the battle-back. What do you think of me putting together a flat playing field (with some details of course) using the map editor, taking a screenshot, and using that as the battleback? I'd just use the map-as-battleback option, but always destroys the illusion of depth the map has (IMHO). Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it :3 (I never even THOUGHT about the drop shadows going against the floaty dreamy feel I was going for, lol)

@Berri, Thanks for the praise :D Makes me feel great, and boosts my morale lol. I'm glad that you like the way I'm doing the enemies, but I might change them. Just depends on how the majority of people react to them (this game IS for a contest after all). I really appreciate your comment. And you can look forward to a demo coming out sometime this week (sunday at the latest). Hope you enjoy it :D

Dream3r likes this.
  13. Dream3r

First Language:
    English
    Trust me, by no means did I mean to offend you.  Your work is good and the progress you guys are making is what I wish I was doing.  I am a bit of a critic, not sure if that is good or bad just means I'm picky.

I didn't say the scribble concept in its self was bad, just how it was executed.  It looks too much like you said as an act of laziness.  Even if you were anything but lazy.  Keep the scribble look but give it a new design.  Make the scribbles flow together in a way it looks more like it's forming a body part, such as a wing, without being all over the place.  Have some portions of the body that aren't completely without balance.  Conduits for the otherwise erratic behavior of the body.  If you really want to take it up a notch, animate the enemies so they go back and forth between a more stable state and a sudden burst of spiratic behavior.

As I said all just my opinion, but that's what I would do.

14. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Dream3r, Oh dude! I'm totally not offended o.o I really value criticism (particularly when it's as specific as yours has been). Helps me get better and all that. It's harder to see glaring flaws (or know what to do about them) when you're as close to the project as I am lol. So please critique away!

And I like your suggestion :3 I'm gonna try that. After thinking about what you said, I'll probably have their body be something solid (and ya know, properly shaded :p ) and maybe their hair too. Then I'll make their clothes/fur/whatever be scribbly energy. But more in line with what I've used for the transformation sequences. (more solid outlines, a bit more shading). I'll do one up today and post it. Please give me your feedback on it, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
    Dream3r likes this.
  15. Dream3r

First Language:
    English
    Totally understand, I've made decisions that were pretty bad but at the time I was so close to the project I couldn't see how bad they were.  Took me stepping back a bit to see them.  (Namely I was convinced we needed this super expensive combat system when really it wasn't all that great for costing $55,000)

16. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Dream3r, holy fwoop! What battle system was it? Please say you didn't pay someone $55,000k for something in RPG Maker x.x

@All, after taking advice from a few different people, I modified the style of the nightmares. I think it looses a bit of uniqueness, (and departs a bit from my original vision) but it's hard to argue that this doesn't look better :p

Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

I used some half-kaiser sprite pieces for the armor, then sprited in the energy and scribbles from scratch. I think this new style fits in universe a bit better than my previous itteration, as the Reapers transform into their battle outfits with similar looking blue energy (though it looks solid after transformation). My justification for magical girl transformations is that it's difficult to hurt nightmares with phsyical things. So they wrap themselves in something that's both physical and idea...energy...stuff. Still need to come up with a name for the stuff :p

Dream3r likes this.
  17. Dream3r

First Language:
    English
    ^I like it. Pretty close*ish to what I pictured.  

As for the system no I ended up only putting in a few hundred before dropping it.  It wasn't so much the system but the cost of having the 50 or so characters have animations and such.

My design has changed completely since then and in my opinion is both better and significantly cheaper (should be under $10,000 by the time it's done)

18. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    @Dream3r Gah. Still a lot for making an RPG Maker game, but more power too ya if it's what you want. It makes a lot more sense though, since most of what you're paying is for custom animations and such. I thought you were paying 55k in a lump sum for a script or something.

Also, glad you like the new style :3 I feel it's visually impressive enough that I don't have to try and convince people it's my artistic vision XD Feel like there would have been a lot of "it's SUPPOSED to be scribbles. They're not real!" kinda thing with the other style :p

19. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    Hey everyone! I just finished the first third or so of my game, so I thought I'd post a demo :D It ends on a sufficiently dramatic part, so I'm hoping it'll get more people interested and commenting XD

http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SinUnsullied/demos/SinUnsullied-Demo-001.zip

Please respond with any criticisms/comments/bugs/anything you have! I'd love to know your thoughts on what I've spent the past 14 odd days making XD

-edit

Update! I just edited the game so that if you hold Z or Shift, a green arrow will hover above your head and point where you're supposed to go. Some of my friends kept getting lost, so I added in the feature at their request.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  20. legacyblade

First Language:
    English
    OMG OMG!!!

I FINISHED!!

There is still a lot of polishing I need to do tomorrow (spell checking) and then after the contest, but you can play the game from start to finish!!!!

Here's a link.  PLEASE try it out and tell me what you think. I want to kill as many bugs as possible before I submit it

http://legacyblade.com/downloads/SinUnsullied/SinUnsullied_B001.zip