Since Steam Only Has Rude Answers: MV Transperent Images

Geyblade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Seems the resource manager isn't like VX Ace and doesn't let you set a transparency color.
So how does it see transparency, a layer or what?
Rather annoyed I have to do more image adjustments than before.
Could set a VX Ace project just for transferring images and transfer it from there to MV, that might work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even on Ace, the transparency color was only a Bad and secondary way to set transparency for pictures that do not have it naturally. A bad way because it wastes some resources.

The better way (both for Ace and for MV and any other RM) would be to use true transparency, by using a PNG with an alpha-channel. You create the transparency in your image program (GIMP, Photoshop, paint.net or whatever, but never in MS Paint) and then the engine automatically, use that transparency.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
To put it in simple words, open your file with your image editing program of choice, take the magic wand tool, select the background color you want to get transparent, delete it (usually by hitting del key) and save that image with now transparent background as .png.
.png it one of the few image formats, that actually is able to save transparency.

DavidFoxfire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I think what's mentioned above is why the people who designed MV went for the PNG format, instead of GIF. PNG may have its faults, but it gets transparancy perfect.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also .png has a great color spectrum as far as I'm aware and it's super common in game making, texture's for 3D models are mostly .png to, except some newer techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.
I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:
I'm a bit late, but Happy New Year to everyone! And to all of those who have an Asian heritage that celebrates the New Year, I wish you all get many fat red envelopes hehehe~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eriedev