Single image backgrounds - Is there a way to do this, or a reason I shouldn't?

DireSloth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, RPG Maker community! I'm a fairly new developer, currently teaching myself how to make my own pixel art for VX Ace games - see my attachment for an example of where I'm at.

I think I've got the hang of making looping tiles, autotiles, and transparency, but I realized the tileset I'm making for my current game won't actually go anywhere other than a small one-screen room. I feel like there should be a way to make a single image to serve as the background instead of a painstakingly constructed tileset, letting me create a detailed one-off environment much quicker. I could then use a completely transparent tileset just to determine what objects can be passed through. I imagine overusing this would make the game file larger and performance worse, but as long as the image is smaller than a ~500x~500 tileset it wouldn't be that big a hit, would it? Is this a common technique, and how do I go about it?

Apologies if this is a common question, I couldn't find anything and I feel like I can't describe this well enough to search for it. Thank you in advance!

WitchyWall.JPG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is called parallax mapping in this community, because it uses the parallax option (originally intended for true parallax pictures) to replace the tileset map.

You'll need a script to fix the parallax to the map, but there have been half a dozen such scripts available for years on the master script list.

You should find several tutorials on parallax mapping on this forum, search for them for the details.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If a person becomes voluntarily missing, does it cause the butterfly effect?
normal_water_is_fine.jpg

Just going to use stationary water for the randomized maps. Sure, particles would look cool... But this is about compromising and not spending countless hours making the perfect water particle for each set piece with water. :kaoswt:
Maybe I should get rid of the Banish ability in my game. It's a non-elemental spell that doesn't even appear in the magic chart. It's only there because my Elementalist doesn't use light or dark magic. It only effects summoned creatures.
ScreenShot_5_18_2022_0_37_0.png
I've been redoing all of the major areas in my game. starting with a place called Century Park. thankfully because all of the locations are distorted memories, I can make these places pretty abstract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lgh2003