single sprite size export from aseprite into RPG MZ

zantos

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello, I am new to pixel art and RPG maker. I made an animated character in aseprite with resolution of 160x160. I multiplied 160 by 3 and 4 to get the width and height for the single spite sheet but when I open the character in MZ it the image is cropped and looks too big for the RPG maker window. I know the standard RPG Maker resolution is smaller but I thought there was a way to do different sizes. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are several things that could cause this, because the engine basically works the other way around.
The total picture size is divided by either 3 and 4 (single sprite) or 12 and 8 (spritesheet of 4x2 sprites) to get to the single cell size. So the resulting total pixels have to be divisible by those numbers.

then the decision to whether use single sprite numbers or spritesheet numbers is based on the filename. If the filename starts with a $ it will be considered a single sprite image. If there is no such symbol then it will be considered a spritesheet.

If that does not help you fixing the problem, then you'll have to attach the image for us to check and sort it out.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you only have 3 columns and 4 rows, make sure the file name starts with $

You CAN make larger sprites, but that doesn't mean they'll look good in the engine. The standard is 48x48, and yours are about 3 times that! So one character will take up 3 tiles wide and high, and you're going to have issues with it overlapping things on both sides, and the top two thirds being cut off when you walk under some tiles. And the collision area will still be the 48x48 tile that the sprite is attached to. So just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, and doesn't mean ANY size is okay - you still have to realise what the impact will be.

When you add the sprite to an event in the editor, you will only see what will fit on a single tile. This is normal. It will show the full sprite when you play.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I guess it becomes purely academic in less than four days but before then can anyone explain to me why the %^&*( animations in the MZ database don't have a 'Hue' slider??
Who here knows of the hidden laws of this multiverse? Such as the law of attraction
Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?
my birthday was yesterday...
i feel closer 2 being able 2 get a discount on the kids menu than i do being able to buy booze
1627428008986.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alteria