Sin's Parallax Mapping Workshop [CLOSED FOR UNKNOWN PERIOD]

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by Sinweaver, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Sinweaver

Sinweaver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

[​IMG]

As part of my quest to make better maps, I am offering my service to the community to help people with their game maps for free.

I do fantasy/medieval related maps. Anything sci-fi/futuristic is not for me. I personally don't like them.

I am also very fussy when it comes to the minor details, together with my OCD and the perfectionist side of me, you can count on me not tossing together random things that doesn't make sense and call it done. One thing I despise most is artists that just paste things together and does not consider the minor details (i.e. overlapping shadow, which totally drives me up the wall. Clearly demonstrate the lack of care/thoughts/love)

I really like parallax mapping but I am open to doing pretty much any maps (interior, exterior, overworld, etc).

If you have any questions or requests, feel free to post here or PM me.

It's all free, but I will only take on 1-2 requests at a time (depending on the size of the request) and no more than 1 map at a time.

Job Queue:

Not Applicable

Disclaimer:

I am not responsible for any of the following issues:

1. Lag. If you insist that I make big maps (anything like 30x30 or bigger), I am still going to do it provided that you have given me enough info, but if you're having issue with lag due to map size (possibly on older/weaker processor), I will not be responsible for that.

2. If you asked me to use resources outside of the RTP, I cannot be held responsible if it turns out that you have no permission to use the materials (pirated or blacklisted resources, etc.). My job is to put turn your ideas into a reality, I don't have the time (and I don't have the means to verify illegally downloaded resource packs) to double check for you.

It is also not part of my responsibility to provide guides on how to use plugins. If you're struggling, I will do my best to assist you, but anything beyond that is your responsibility to read the manual.

What I will do is:

I will do my best to reduce the map size (i.e. by saving the lower quality during export, etc.) but there's only so much one can do to keep the size small.

I will also make sure that you're aware of the possible risk you're taking when asking for a large map.

F.A.Q.

Can I still place a request even if the workshop is full?

Yes you can, just pm me and I will start working on your map once there's free slot.

Why do you only take small number of requests at a time?

3 reasons. First of all, I am aiming for quality, so you can be sure that I will put a good amount of time to each and every map.

Second reason is related to time. I am mapping an entire game for my own project and I am about to start my final year for university. Not to mention that parallax mapping usually takes a bit longer due to the amount of checking needed. Larger map = more checks = more time required

Third reason is that I have already committed myself to help a fellow forum member with making quite a large amount of battlers.

How much time do you need to complete a request?

There is no correct answer to this. It depends on the size of your map, the type of request, my schedule, amount of details needed, etc etc.

Small map can be done within the hour while bigger map will take longer.

One thing is for sure, the bigger your map is, the longer it will take.

What do can you do?

I can start from scratch, or I can help improve on what you already have.

If I make a map from scratch:

• For regular map, I will send you the project with the map on it

• For parallax map, I will send you a project with the map and everything set up. You can copy paste the map into your project but you may/will have to do some changes to things like region ID and copy the map from the project folder to your game project folder, etc etc.

If I am to edit an existing map:

• For regular map, send me a new project with the map

• For parallax map, send me the photoshop(.psd) or gimp(.xcf) file

Please include as much details about what you want to see in the final product. I will only perform what you requested, and if I missed something because it is not included in your original instruction, I am sorry, it is first-come-first-serve and you will be placed in back in the queue (if there is one). If the needed edit is something minor, then I guess I can make an exception and fix it quickly

What kind of details do I need to include?

This varies depending on the type of request (map edit/brand new map).

Styles, size, quick sketch of the final design, floorplan drawing, etc. It really depends on what your need is. Any info you can provide (should) make it easier.

As for the decorations and the minor details, you can either give me a list of what you want to include, or I can leave it blank, or I can improvise if needed.

What if the tileset you want to use is something you paid from the RPGmaker store?

PM me and I'll see if I have it. I have purchased a number of them myself during Christmas. If not, we'll see if we can work something out.

Anything I make/edit for you is solely yours, but I might display it as sample of my previous work (will watermark it first) unless you do not want me to do so.

Possibly using Hudell's overlay as replacement for Kaus Ultimate Overlay

Completed Requests:

Note: Images quality is affected by the save format + resizing to protect the original map

Watermark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Avitron142

Download link here

[​IMG]

NarikoStudio

[​IMG]

Leon93

[​IMG]

Kloe

[​IMG]

Avitron142

Download link here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previous works (Ordered from the oldest to the newest)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. NarikoStudios

NarikoStudios Lover of Catgirls Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These maps look really awesome so i'm going to be first to request ^_^

Is there a request form or do I just type?

I'm looking for a pretty big deep forestry exterior map that's a mix of Japanese and fantasy it would be a little dark but not like night more like it's day but it's really dark under the trees and you can't see the sky through the bushes

it's like a deep forest with loads of trees and is the home of a Elf(don't know if that helps anything) and like at the left kind of near the top of the forest would be a small like save with a bushy roof of rocks where the Elf lives and in the middle of the map a Japanese style temple and then at the right just before the end of the map a entrance to a library so a big bushy area that covers up the door but the doors Japanese style

theres also a bunch of trees to fight on and a clearing at the end of the trees a little bit away from the clearing is a pool that heals and the Elf's house is a little apart from there

the entrance to the map is at the left and the exit is at the right, i'd like there to be multiple paths and be a place to explore but with the 3 main places that would progress the story

thanks for reading

Also i'd like a Japanese tileset but if that doesn't work for a forest then the SF Outside one from the RTP I do have a Japanese tileset but it was for Ace so don't know if it would workwith MV

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  3. avitron142

avitron142 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Those look like awesome maps! PM'ed for a request.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
    Maycon Gama Ribeiro likes this.
  4. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow! You're really good at this! I will definitely watch this space and put in a request once its not full  :rwink:

I really like the style too, my favorite ones of the example is the one at the very top of the post with your sprite in the chair and also the road one at the bottom!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  5. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    Thanks. Sharm and IAmJakeSauvage provided some really useful tips on light/shadow and color balance. This is a good opportunity to put them to good use.

Just something I really want to emphasize when making a request:

Please (please please please.... please x10000) make sure that you have put enough thoughts on what you want to see on the map. I don't have the time and patience to cater to last minute addition. Okay, if you want a few extra flowers or have buildings shifted, I should have no problem with that since I separate things to different layers so that I have room to make the necessary modification. But if you suddenly tell me that you want to include a lake as well. This is where I flip a table. 

Edit: When providing details, short descriptive sentences triumphs long essays that doesn't really provide any insight to what you're actually looking for.

The process that I will go through is as follows:

1) After I receive a request, I may/will ask questions general question about things like :

• the size of the map (extremely important)
    • the landscape (are there any cliffs? rivers? waterfalls? etc.),
    • the position of various structures (if any),
    • the size and the style of structures (if any),
    • the paths/roads throughout the map (does it have lots of twists and turns or dead ends? etc.), 
    • the existence of caves or hidden objects

2) I will ask about the tileset to be used. 

3) I will get back to you as soon as possible with a 5 minute sketch about where everything goes and ask if this is what you want.

An example for a quick 3-5 mins drawing:

[​IMG]

4) Once I received a confirmation, I will get started at the earliest possible date.

5) I will get back to you with an initial design using whatever resource (tileset) we agreed on and ask for a second confirmation about whether this is what you want.

6) Once I received a second confirmation, then it's serious business. If you have already provided me with a floorplan/design about where everything is supposed to be, I tend to skip step 3 & 4, since you have already done that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  6. Snayff

Snayff Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Sinweaver That desk by the fireside looks super impressive. Great work. 

7. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    @Snayff thanks :) I am satisfied with the desk as well. 

I just wish I spent more time on the light/shadow 

8. Snayff

Snayff Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Sinweaver Whaaaaaat? That looks great, too! Makes me think of the atmosphere of Candlekeep. What would you change?

9. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    @Snayff I change the opacity and make the flicker softer... something more subtle.

Small update on the job queue: A slot will open up by the end of the week.

I also forgot to mention this earlier, but Kaus' Ultimate Overlay plugin is an essential part of the more complex parallax maps. Please let me know if you choose to not use it for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  10. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, I'll keep watch, these maps are just way too awesome!

11. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    Due to orientation week activities at the university and some unexpected issue with the shadow, the completion date was pushed back a little.

Apologies to @avitron142, hopefully it is not too far from your expectation. Once I get an okay to share, I will share a preview here.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my private message is that the music I added to the demo I uploaded was only for listening, you cannot include it in your project.

Thanks!

1 free slot available for the next request. 

12. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Um... It says it's full though? I'd happily request one when it isn't full!  :)

13. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    Finished and received permission to display the final map for @avitron142

Size: 50x50

Resources used: Mostly RTP/RTP edits and Pandamaru's outside tileset (the trees and the bridge)

Credits: Pandamaru (trees/bridge), Avery (well), Lupinos (RTP roof edit), Sinweaver (mapper)

Download link: Click here

Terms of use:

• Must own a legal copy of RPGmaker MV
    • Commercial use: Must contact Pandamaru for permission to use the trees/bridge, and must credit the appropriate individuals. A free copy of the game for Avery.
    • Non-commercial use: credit the appropriate individuals

[​IMG]

A breakdown for the map:

[​IMG]

The evolution of the map:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
    AggroMiau likes this.
  14. avitron142

avitron142 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'll take that second spot!

I kid, I kid. Much thanks to Sinweaver for doing such a great job! Looking forward to seeing more maps of yours.

-Avi

Sinweaver likes this.
  15. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow!! :o  It's really really cool and impressive! :cutesmile: :thumbsup-right: I also find it fascinating to see the evolution of such a beautiful map ( from the um... 'first stage' to the really cool map at the end)  :cutesmile:

Also it says N/A in the second spot, does that mean it's open or not, or going to be or something? I'm not really sure...

16. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English

thank you..

Yes, it means that the 2nd slot is available at the moment

17. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yay! Could I take it? (Or am I meant to send you a PM to ask, I wasn't sure...)

18. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English

Yes you can.

19. gendfleur

gendfleur Even Satanists have standards. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    wow, these are beautiful!! i'll definitely be keeping an eye on that waitlist :)

20. Sinweaver

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support :)

Nariko's Request

Size: 40x30

Resources used: Mostly RTP/RTP edits and Pandamaru's outside tileset (the trees)

Credits: Pandamaru (trees/bridge), Sinweaver (mapper)

Terms of use:

• Must own a legal copy of RPGmaker MV
    • Commercial use: Must contact Pandamaru for permission to use the trees, and must credit the appropriate individuals.
    • Non-commercial use: credit the appropriate individuals

[​IMG]

Features:

• The cave is a "house" that you can enter without changing map.
    • The player can actually get on the balcony for the temple.

Breakdown of the layers:

[​IMG]

Development:

Requested design:

[​IMG]

First draft:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016