RMMV Sirens: The Cold North [IGMC Entry]

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by DragonVine, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    SIRENS: THE COLD NORTH

Sirens: The Cold North is the first short game in a growing series of games that all take place in the same world. See the first installment of the story of the World of Odyssea. Begin to dive into the mythology and setting right here, with the first game in the series, and become familiar with a world where magic, monsters, and politics over thrones are all found.[​IMG]

A new king has come to power in the Lysandian Midlands.

King Silas, a former aide to King Lionel IV now sits upon the throne after the death of Lionel and the disappearance of his son, leaving Lysandia in turmoil. Quickly bringing stability back to the realm, Silas has announced that he is determined to find the son of King Lionel and restore him to the throne that is rightfully his. Meanwhile, the death of King Lionel has left the relations between Lysandia and the other realms of Easterra in question.

In the far north, where the winters are long, and the summers are cold, the Kingdom of Atlantis stands as a monument to the Ancients that founded it millennia ago. While small in number, the Sirens stand protecting the realm that has provided the precious material, Magicite, to the whole of Easterra for generations. Seeking to improve trade relations with his neighbours, King Silas has embarked on a journey to the cold north, visiting the lonely Northern Kingdom.

Tensions are high in the Kingdom of Atlantis, as this important visit and trade deal looms in the distance.

However, this tension is lost on some, as young princess Ruby plays hide and seek with an unwilling seeker while she should be studying magic with the mages...

Play as Ruby, the young princess, and the Queensguard, Saralyn, who is tasked with taking care of the young princess. Atlantis is in full preparations for the arrival of King Silas, but something sinister is bubbling beneath the surface. Investigate the increase of monsters in the area as the royal visit from the Lysandian's draws closer and closer.

[​IMG]

Ruby[​IMG]
    The young princess of Atlantis, and the hero of the story. Ruby is an aspiring mage, learning to harness the power of magicite so that she can protect her kingdom when it is time for her to reign. Perpetually late, as she always finds herself running off on her own "adventures," Ruby is always being chased around by Saralyn, her protector, and member of the Queensguard.

Saralyn [​IMG]
    A decorated knight in the service of the queen, Saralyn has been given the highest honour afforded one of the Queen's guards: the title of Siren. An elite warrior, she has been assigned to protect Princess Ruby and guide her towards becoming an effective mage and kind ruler. Saralyn outwardly displays impatience with Ruby, but deeply cares for the young princess, and takes guarding her with her life very seriously.

[​IMG]
    The gameplay follows a standard JRPG style, with a sideview battle system. The mechanics of the game itself are not complex, in that there are only two buttons to worry about with the controls: The Z or Enter key for accepting and interaction, and the X or ESC key for cancelling and bringing up the menu. The arrow keys are for movement. I recommend using the Z and X keys with the arrow keys for easy playing.

However, while the gameplay is rather standard, there are a few features that provide an interesting twist that make the game challenging.

[​IMG]
    Battle System
    An animated sideview battle system that should remind players of RPG's from the SNES era of gaming that still provides an element of strategy because of things like:

Magicite Consumption
    While playing as Ruby, you will encounter the standard spells and MP system that you would find in most RPGs, but with a slight twist. In the world of Easterra, magic cannot be cast without the assistance of a resource called magicite. When performing magic, the spells not only cost MP, but also magicite. The magicite cost varies from spell to spell, depending on how powerful it is, and what time of magic cast. The supplies of magicite are limited, and monsters drop it rarely so you must carefully consider when to use your magical abilities.

Breakable Weapons and Armor
    Another feature found within the game is that most armor and weapons will break down over time, leading to them needing to be replaced. The durability level of the weapons and armor can be viewed in the main menu, under items. When preparing to fight a monster, be sure to have an eye on the durability of your armor and weapons, and keep a few extra in stock just in case.

Quest System
    A quest system that keeps track of every main and side quest for you, and rewards you for completing them, even the ones that are more narrative based rather than battle focused.

[WIP Features}
    Trophy Room
    A trophy room where you can keep track of your achievements that will unlock as you progress in the game. Try to unlock them all, and there might be a bonus scene for you at the end of the game.

More to be announced!

[​IMG]
    The credits shall be updated as the progress on the game continues until the finished product is complete.

Credits

A DVG Production

Engine
    Degica
    RPG Maker MV

Developed by:
    Josiah MacDonald

Story Written by:
    Josiah MacDonald

Graphics
    Aekashics
    Celianna
    Degica
    IceKun
    Kadokawa
    REFMAP
    RPG Maker MV
    Starlight Dream
    Strange_Dragon_99

Plugins:
    Archeia
    Galv (https://galvs-scripts.com/)
    Kadokawa
    luizcubas
    mykrme
    SumRndmDde (http://sumrndm.site/)
    Vlue
    Yami
    Yanfly Engine
    Yoji Ojima

Sound:
    artisticdude
    Morten Barfod Soegaard - Little Robot Sound Factory​

Music:
    Joel Steudler
    Murray Atkinson
    Scythuz​

Finally, feel free to follow me on Twitter and let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

The latest update can be found here!

UPDATE LOG
    Version 1.0 of the demo released
    Version 1.01 released - November 11, 2017 - various glitches fixed, sounds edited, and small changes to polish the game a bit more.
    Version1.02 released - July 28, 2018 - glitches fixed, small changes, side quests added. Final version of the demo.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Dalph and djbeardo like this.
  2. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Version 1.01 of the game has been released. It fixes the glitches that stop you from playing, and is a complete version of the demo. Next up, side quests are going to be added that will fill out a good portion of the demo as well. That will be considered the complete or finished demo. After that, full development on the final game begins.

You can download the latest version right here, or in the first post!

3. Eterna

Eterna *Grandiose* Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started playing it just minutes ago. Not to spoil anything but I am already on the 2nd quest issued by the Madam, the one where you have to go outside and deal with a certain enemy. I just wanted to know how long is the demo.

Aside from that, all I can say is that I like where the game is headed. I already feel like wanting to learn more about the world, about Ruby and her companion, and yes, surely all other characters involved. The mapping is also great, as is the music. What I also like best is the combat. It's simple but fun, and challenging, too; well balanced, in other words. I'll say more about it later, when I finish the demo. Btw, if it helps you any, I found a typo that you can fix if you want. Some chick, or is it a guy? speaks the word further, but says futher.

Finally... great job, the game is cool.

Edit: I finished the demo. Looks good so far.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    DragonVine likes this.
  4. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much for playing @Eterna! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Keep an eye out in the next week or two, as there's going to be some more added very soon. I'll update the post accordingly. I hope to have the finished product done by the end of the year, but we shall see. Either way, I have a very clear direction I'm trying to go in, so we'll see if there are any little detours as I go along, which sometimes happens when writing a story.:LZSwink:

I'm glad the battle came out balanced. I was a bit worried about that. The mechanics are really simple, but I find it adds a little strategy to it. I wanted to make it just challenging enough to make you think, but not so challenging that it's frustrating. Clearly a hard thing to do, but something I'm going to be tweaking as I go to try and maintain with all the enemies.

Eterna likes this.
  5. Eterna

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It was no problem. I love gaming, and I like rpgs that have the adventure-tone in them. I did have a lot of fun, especially when trying to advance the story. I liked that you have a quest system going on, and better that you reward the player for completing them.

Really? You mean the game can be finalized by the end of the year? That's good, a Christmas release would be nice. :) And yes, I agree, detours tend to happen. Just follow the road you think will lead you to good results.

As to the battles. Hey, they might be simple, but still fun. Like I said, I enjoyed the battles, but I lean more on the story side, in other words, characters and world lore. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy battling, I do since it's also part of the game, and perhaps the most important aspect of it since as a player you want your character to become stronger. What I think made the battles a bit easier for me, this after I failed to pass the final test without buying stuff, was the fact that I was able to go buy stuff. A shop, in my own opinion, is a must in a game. However, if you supply the player with a way to get his or her hands on plenty of goods, that will take away from the challenge/strategy you seek to deliver. I was able to buy potions that really made the battles easier. If I can give you advice, limit the amount of items a player can buy, so that he/she will not have an ample supply and actually put a bit of effort in coming up with strategies for boss, or difficult fights. That's how I plan to do it in my own project, if it's possible to have the shop have a limit on the items a player can purchase in one go or stage. Maybe later in the game it will become much more difficult, so I do see the need for the player to stock up on items, so that really is up to you in the end. It all can be balanced if you consider the currency factor, the gold the player has accumulated; having too much of it facilitates the player to have the best armor, weapons, and items early on, making the game not challenging.

Anyway, keep up the good work. You're on a great road here, and I can't wait to see the final result. I will surely keep my eye out for more releases/updates.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    DragonVine likes this.
  6. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Hmmmmmmmm... You've given me something to think about with the limited quantities. Maybe the shop owner needs to restock after while? I like that idea. It'll allow just for enough consideration and challenge involved. I'm going to look into that. I'm also going to finish a lot of the buildings in the main town as I didn't have time for the first release, so the shops will be a bit easier to find. I also plan on adding quest indicators over the heads of the NPCs to tell you which ones are for side quests, and which are for main, etc.

7. Eterna

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is your game, so whatever you feel comfortable doing, then follow that path. You don't have to change anything, tbh, the game is great as it is at the moment. But yes, consider it if you really think it will add to the challenge/strategy factor.

Oh yes, about the buildings. I went to every building door and tried entering, but I couldn't. That wasn't much of a problem, as I often will have some buildings in my own game without the player being able to enter. Still, sometimes it's good to enter a few and perhaps find loot, or just story lore or tips.

You also speak of quest indicators. You mean you'll use Yanfly's Mini Label plugin? I love that plugin. It's not a bad idea if you plan to add that content. I really didn't have any trouble following along the data you provided in the quest info. I think what you intend to do is show icons, right? That would be really helpful.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of this project and any upcoming ones. Hope you don't mind, but I'll probably drop by the quick review thread and give my review about this game since I really enjoyed it.

DragonVine likes this.
  8. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    I actually really like the idea. In future games I'm planning on having a crafting system too, and those two things can play into each other in interesting ways.

Absolutely! The mini label plugin is what I'll likely be using, or something equivalent that will let me use icons.

Feel free! Thank you so much!

Eterna likes this.
  9. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Just letting you all know that this is far from dead. Life came around, but I'm working on it again, picking up right were I left off. Stay tuned. Big update coming soon.

10. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Version 1.02 has been released!

This version has now fixed any glitches left over from the previous two, and added a few side quests that can be completed. There were a ton of minor fixes and changes too that most wouldn't notice.

Also added were several items that can be discovered by interacting with objects, including a book or two if you know where to look.

One side quest is left unable to complete at the moment, by design. You will be able to complete it at the next update (which hopefully will be much sooner than this one was).

If you encounter any glitches, please let me know.

Edit: I've also deployed a Linux and Mac OS X version of the game. I'm not sure how they work, but if any users have that, please feel free to try and let me know how it works.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018