Size of the game window suitable for all computer screens?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Poupouille, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Poupouille

Poupouille Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello:kaohi:

I currently set up the screen window of my game in 1248x720.

On my computer, the width completely filled the screen with a map of 26 tiles wide.
    But when I test my game on another computer screen, a map of 26 tiles doesn't fill the width of the screen and there are black borders on the sides.

For example, if I watch a DVD on any 16:9 TV, the picture will fit the TV screen. But how to do the same for RPG Maker game?
    Is there a way to adapt the game resolution for all screens (16:9 ratio)?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's always a way. But there's a catch to it. Unless you have every map made so it fills up the entire screen, which is by default impossible due to 4k possibilities and stuff, you're always going to have black something. On higher resolution you're going to have huge black areas on small maps. So this step is generally not a good idea with MV games. Also, on higher resolutions (like 1080p) it looks ridiculously small. So I'd say pick a resolution and stick with it and if you don't want black edges, don't play on fullscreen.

3. Poupouille

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello Poryg!

All my map are not 26 tiles minimum, but for some map (for exemple, for cinematic with a fixed shot), I set the size to 26 tiles to full on my screen. But with another computer screen the window is smaller in full screen.

I mostly changed that to have a 16:9 ratio and it doesn't look small. It's more 720p I think.

I have been working on my game for two years now, so I don't change the dimensions all the time. This is something that has been thought about and chosen at the beginning of the project, and whose staging of some maps, parallax, cinematics is set to this parameter.

Only, I never tried my project on a computer other than mine. And it's only today that I realize that the display differs on another computer, so I'm looking for a way to fix that.

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not much you can do, as it all depends on the person's monitor and resolution settings and whether or not they have it set to upscale or not. The best you could do is offer a choice of different resolutions to run at, and that will require planning out your entire game around that.

5. Poupouille

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you know a good plugin to offer a choice of different resolutions?

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Off the top of my head, no. But I've heard there are ones to offer a choice between 16:9 and 4:3 for running the game (the two most popular settings), though you may have to think about adding 16:10 support as those just came out a little while ago.