Certified Game Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on a project in which I want to implement a stored up skill system. Here's what I mean.

In battle, a "skill gem" appears in the top left of the screen, with three fillable slots. This is meant to be separate from TP as each filed portion only represents one point. In accordance with this, my idea was to have skills become available during battle as the gem fills up, which is done by performing crits or evasions and the like or also by random chance during attack, with the possible maximum being 3 skill points. During battle, I wanted the picture graphic to change to fill itself up as a variable increases, and as the picture increased, the actor would find new skills under "Abilities".

Example scenario;

Actor has none of the Skill Gem filled. Under the Abilities option is simply an unusable skill with the message to fill up the skill gem to get skills working. Actor scores a crit and the skill gem gets one part of three filled. In abilities tab next turn there is a skill available and message skill is gone. After skill is used, the skill gem shows no full areas and message is back.

I currently have 3 common events set up hoping to control this, and they actually seem to work, but only change the graphic of the meter and skills after the battle, not during. 

If anyone knows how I can achieve this, I would appreciate the help. In event scripts would be helpful, but out of events can be too.

If necessary, I'll provide pictures to help.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Common Events need to be explicitly called from troop events (or scripts) in order to work during the battle scene; if you're doing something like setting a switch and then hoping that a Parallel Process (or Autorun) common event will activate during battle because its switch is now On, that won't work.

You can start by calling the appropriate common events each Turn from the Troop pages (make a new page, set its Span to "Turn", set its only condition is Turn 0 + 1X, and its event content as "Call Common Event: what you're trying to run"), and see how close that gets you to where you need to be.  (In theory you could have the Span be "Moment" but you would need some kind of condition that would not constantly run the Common Event every single frame, like a switch that's set only when something needs to be changed and is turned off at the end of the Common Event.)

Based on how close that gets you to what you need to be, you could take a couple of different approaches.  If there just seem to be a couple bugs, you could post the setup of your events (Common and Troop) and we can take a look to see if you did anything incorrectly.  On the other hand, if it doesn't seem to give you the general functionality that you want, then it would be worth Requesting or Commissioning a Script for this system.  You're getting near the limits of what can be done with eventing alone, and I can think of a lot of ways this will be smoother, more reliable, and quicker to implement with a script (you can use things like conditions for something to appear on the Skill List by editing the Skill Window script, and set up something like "Gem Points" for each actor by editing the Actor script).

DomTSVG

Certified Game Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them seem to work for me at all. During battle, the meter still does not change it's graphic, and the skills for the actor won't change either. The change only successfully applies after each and every battle, despite being set up to check for the event every turn. 

I was thinking that there may be a script I can put in the common event processing that would force it to change, but I'm not sure. 

As a temporary "solution" I decided to put up 4 common events for each skill level to dictate what skills get added and removed, as to keep the first common event simple, and I'm instead just using Tech Points which I've renamed "Stamina", and added a TP Regen. Still, this functionality is not what I was hoping for.

I've uploaded screencaps of the common events and a few examples of how the Gem looks in game, so you can have a look if you want.

http://imgur.com/a/DHgbU

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It looks to me like you didn't follow my suggestion because your first Common Event (which calls all the other ones) is still hooked to a Parallel Process which - again - cannot be activated during battle.  The switch is set, so the processing happens as soon as you return to the Map.  This is standard VX Ace behavior.

If you are not calling the "Skill Meter" common event (which should have a Trigger of "None" not "Parallel Process") from a Troop Page in each troop, it is simply not going to work during battle.  And if you are calling this already, then please show us the troop pages (because it's hard to solve a case with only half of the clues).

DomTSVG

Certified Game Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just tried it again without the parallel process, and the graphic still doesn't update, nor does the skills.

Tested it outside of battle using an event to add or subtract a point and the gem updates fine.

I've uploaded a picture of the troop page event as well.

http://i.imgur.com/Eg5UMbk.png

DomTSVG

Certified Game Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This issue is now resolved and the topic can be closed. Thank you!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It might be better to Report your opening post (the Report button is bottom right, next to the Multiquote button) and ask for it to be closed.  The mod for this forum might not see your post, but will see your Report.

DomTSVG

Certified Game Boi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also it would help if you actually post how it was solved, just to share knowledge to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Day 2 of my redesign journey, as a follow up from the previous post :kaothx:
pXiRJSm.jpg

This is Cedric's son, Apollo!
New pet peeve: Telling tech support personnel what something is doing, only for them to tell me (in excessively condescending tones) what it should be doing. Yes, I know what it should be doing, and if it was doing that, I wouldn’t be talking to you and your attitude problem about it right now, would I? >.<
uglywolf wrote on Khulse's profile.
Hello.
The rules I makes pun about on your last thread is about "Verify Files" before anything else, if the stuff comes from STEAM. Which means, if it could be fixed with just that, there is no need to redownload the whole stuff.
But glad the reinstall worked, hope you enjoy it and your days too.
uh oh, I just tapped into a fresh, deep vein of nightmare fuel right here guys:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgeal365