Skill Concept Help?

Feliaria

Good with Ideas, Bad with Execution
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, so my game has a unique resource mechanic (unique in that I haven't seen anything like it in other games and even the basis for the concept is no longer used). Rather than skills consuming mana and TP, they generate something called "Wrath" or "Harmony". Wrath increases the damage you deal, but it also makes you take more damage (at maximum Wrath, you deal 6 more damage but suffer 3 more (and damage calculations are set up like Paper Mario, for those who've played.), while Harmony is the opposite. If you use a Wrath-generating ability while you are in Harmony, you instead lose an amount equal of Harmony equal to the amount of Wrath you would have generated., and vice versa (using a 5-Wrath-generating ability at 15 Harmony will cause you to end with 10 Harmony rather than giving you 15 Harmony and 5 Wrath). 

Anyway, background out of the way, the question.

A couple of the skills I'm considering adding to the game maximize either the user's Wrath (Soul Shift: Wrath) or the user's Harmony (Soul Shift: Harmony). However, over the next three turns, those resources are reduced by 10 (any character has a maximum of 60 combined Wrath and Harmony, with up to 45 points in either). My big trouble is deciding if I should allow the degeneration of Wrath and Harmony to increase the opposite. So, say the user uses Soul Shift: Wrath with a maximum of 20 Wrath. Assuming they don't generate any Wrath or Harmony during the next three turns, they will be back to 0 Wrath by the end of the second turn. However, for the third turn, should they generate 10 Harmony, like the other skills would, or would this be too exploitable (i.e., a full-Wrath based character using Soul Shift: Harmony to auto-generate Wrath. I mean, after the first Harmony degeneration use an ability that generates 5 Wrath, end up back at neutral, then the next two turns generate 10 Wrath each turn on top of whatever the character would generate from skills)?

LuLingqi1

A Spellthief With A Bone To Pick
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it depends on what Harmony allows for. I didn't see anywhere in your post where it says what Harmony does. It does seem a bit worrysome that they can exploit it to get more wrath for more damage, but that exploitment requires multiple turns in the making, haha.

Feliaria

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think it depends on what Harmony allows for. I didn't see anywhere in your post where it says what Harmony does. It does seem a bit worrysome that they can exploit it to get more wrath for more damage, but that exploitment requires multiple turns in the making, haha.

I thought I mentioned it, but I wasn't very clear. Sorry :(

Harmony is the opposite of Wrath. At 45 Harmony, you take 6 less damage but deal 3 less.

However, a full Wrath character will only have 15 maximum Harmony and so will only be able to get 2 damage reduction from it. But if they can get to up to 30 Wrath in two turns, that gets them to dealing +3 damage with -1 damage reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No no no, I misread it! Hm. I don't see any balancing issues. It seems very situational, and most likely something that would end up being strategic. I think the real concern is the rate at which they can use the skills to generate and degenerate.

Feliaria

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No no no, I misread it! Hm. I don't see any balancing issues. It seems very situational, and most likely something that would end up being strategic. I think the real concern is the rate at which they can use the skills to generate and degenerate.

That's refreshing haha.

Anyway, I was thinking put them on a 5 or 6 turn cooldown. Though, I could remove the exploitability if I made the two skills share a cooldown... That could work, couldn't it? Or do you think that make them too situational?

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's refreshing haha.

Anyway, I was thinking put them on a 5 or 6 turn cooldown. Though, I could remove the exploitability if I made the two skills share a cooldown... That could work, couldn't it? Or do you think that make them too situational?

Hmm... Are you good at scripting? I would say, don't make them share a cooldown, but if one is used RIGHT after the other, it should perhaps put both on full cooldown. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much of a reason for them to share the same cooldown. I don't see a reason to use one right after the other, unless say, you needed a damage boost for just one turn or something. 

Situational skills are my favorite skills. With the power they hold, it should probably be situational. All of the Ultimate skills in my game are incredibly situational. There's an entire healing class who is nothing but situational lol.

Feliaria

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm... Are you good at scripting? I would say, don't make them share a cooldown, but if one is used RIGHT after the other, it should perhaps put both on full cooldown. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much of a reason for them to share the same cooldown. I don't see a reason to use one right after the other, unless say, you needed a damage boost for just one turn or something. 

Situational skills are my favorite skills. With the power they hold, it should probably be situational. All of the Ultimate skills in my game are incredibly situational. There's an entire healing class who is nothing but situational lol.

I'm not great, but I could probably make use of common events (that's how all my other Wrath and Harmony generation is handled, so that using a 5 Wrath skill at 3 Harmony will put you at 2 Wrath rather than neutral). Make it so that if either of the degeneration states are active, it could add a second state to the user (and remove the degeneration state already present), sealing both skills for the full cooldown.

Soul Shift: Wrath event

If Dissonant is Affected by Soul Shift: Harmony Degen:

Add state Soul Shift: Sealed to Dissonant

Remove state Soul Shift: Harmony Degen from Dissonant

Else:

Add state Soul Shift: Wrath Degen to Dissonant

Soul Shift: Harmony event

If Dissonant is Affected by Soul Shift: Wrath Degen:

Add state Soul Shift: Sealed to Dissonant

Remove state Soul Shift: Wrath Degen from Dissonant

Else

Add state Soul Shift: Wrath Degen to Dissonant

That could work: The skills' damage box is already being used to maximize the character's Wrath/Harmony (a.setTp(a.mtp) or a.setMp(a.mmp) respectively).

Conversely, I could add another state as a placeholder. Have it be removed after one turn and have that as the condition for the common events to seal the skills (that would give it the back-to-back cooldown activation like you suggested).

Last edited by a moderator:

LuLingqi1

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the this option. It seems smoother, in my opinion.

Conversely, I could add another state as a placeholder. Have it be removed after one turn and have that as the condition for the common events to seal the skills (that would give it the back-to-back cooldown activation like you suggested).

Feliaria

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for all the help, LuLing! :)  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.
Wow.... My last map GIF got 47 likes, 16 retweet and 2,105 views on Twitter in 24 hours. My game thread here's only got 3k views in 6-7 months. I guess building my Twitter was insanely worth it. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeoValinferno