Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have this idea for a skill but not sure how to do it. It would be easier with ATB/CTB battle system, for sure, but I'm using the standard turn system. It's like this:
Character A has a skill called "Snipe". It does a lot of damage, but requires the player to sacrifice one turn to aim. So the next turn, he won't be able to do anything. And when his next turn comes, he will automatically shoot at the target. Maybe he'll take more damage while he's aiming.

Problem is I don't know how to make the character automatically performs an action when his turn comes. And what if the target he's aiming at dies when his turn comes? I assume this will require a plugin?

One way I can get around this is to have to skills: aim and snipe. Snipe will be very inaccurate and will waste MP if used. So the player will have to use "aim" first, then snipe the next turn. Which approach sounds better to you guys?

I wonder if I should do something like this for healing skills that heal the entire party, too...

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have the Skill put a state on the targeted enemy and stun the user. Then, by the next turn (requires running a common event each turn on all troops), use Force Action command on the user to have him shoot the enemy with the state on them. Remove the state on the enemy and the stun on the user.

I have a few somewhat similar skills, that have a user lock on to an enemy target and are able to only use that skill that on the locked on target. It's more of move to get rid of big enemies with high single-target damage, so you wouldn't use it on weak stuff. Though if the target happens to die before the skill can fully finish, it'll just cancel the lock on and is able to be cast on a new target again.
But in the case of the skill not doing anything at all until the shot is fired, I'd at least refund the MP cost for the skill if it gets cancelled.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might be interesting to give it an effect like Pokémon's Focus Punch attack, where if you get hit with anything before your next turn comes around, the attack is canceled. Perhaps add a 1 turn debuff if that happens.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can avoid running common events in all of your troops if you use Yanfly's Buffs & States Core plugin.

Make the skill apply a state that stuns the user and has a duration of 1 turn. Then give that state a Custom Remove Effect that forces action of the powered up snipe skill.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?
Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punisama