RMMV Skill Systems Reflecting Animals and Instincts

RizkyBiznizz

Warper
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been mulling over some ideas for how to make skill systems that mechanically reflect the identities of the characters that use them, and I had an idea that I want some advice on. I'm still incredibly inexperienced with RPGMaker and programming in general, and thought it would be best to mine the brains of others.

A couple of Party Members in a project I've started concepting have their characters and identities wrapped up in "being Animals" (think like Boney from Mother 3, which is a direct inspiration for this project). I have four types of Skills in total; one type is your traditional "Character uses MP to cast X spell for Y effect", gaining new spells as they progress in level. One skill type is focused on crafting and working with ordinary items. Think like a mix of Lloyd or Jeff, again from Mother, and Riku from FFX. And the third type gives a set of skills based on the weapon equipped to the character in question, with the skills granted depending on the character in question. If Character equips an axe, they can then use any of the three or four axe skills (provided they meet the level req.), but if they switch to a sword, in or out of combat, they lose the axe skills and instead gain the three or four sword skills.

I was trying to think of a fourth, "unique" way of approaching skills, without copying the other pre-existing types, that was also reflective of the nature of the characters with this fourth skill type (that they're basically just mundane animals).

The idea I came up with was to remove the characters ability to use traditional commands like Attack and Guard, and instead have each character able to access a set of "Behaviors" from their skill menu. When you command a character to use a Behavior, they have percent chance to execute any one of a limited set of skills. So if you command, say, "Dog" to be Aggressive, when its turn comes up, it has a 80% chance to perform of regular "Attack", and a 20% to perform the "Lunge" skill. A few levels later, the Dog learns a new skill, which folds into is Aggressive behavior. So now, when you give the command to be Aggressive, it has a 50% chance to "Attack", a 30% chance to "Lunge", and a 20% chance to "Maul". This is meant to reflect their hard-to-control/predict nature as animals, but to limit frustration, I was going to have each successive skill learned build on the previous (Lunge is just an attack but with a self-Evasion buff, Maul is just Lunge but it also applie DoT), instead of them all having different effects, and the player having to hope they get the right one.

How should I go about implementing something like this? Is their some way I can do so by messing around with the base program, or would I absolutely need to use plug-ins? Could anyone point me in the right direction to do something like that?
 
Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
498
Reaction score
178
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Someone has a plugin for stances, not sure if it's Yanfly or Hime… but it allows some customization in battle behavior. Yanfly also a plugin for autobattle on an actor that allows you to set up conditional actions similar to FF12 gambit system. Some of his plugins require others to work properly and some of them cost a small amount of money.

Other than plugins, I'm not sure how to implement what you're talking about. I suggest checking out some of the plugins though, to see if they can do what you are wanting.
 

kultie

Villager
Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this will can be done using state, like adding state base on level or even 1 state that have huge if else statements inside them(Not recommend this tho).

Yanfly have passive buff state core plugins so you can add the passive as 'Aggressive' buff

If you have some knowledge about javascript then you can write the code with the command attack. The default code have the 'attackSkillId' function that return 1 by default is the attack skill God bless the RPG Maker dev for make this a function, you can have some if else statement so it'll return other skill ID base on your calculation.

My idea is like this

Code:
Game_Actor.prototype.attackSkillId = function() {
    if(this.isStateAffected([You aggresive state id here])){
        //Some calculation base on your level
        //Example
        var randomNumber = Some random number using json math (i'm just lazy here)
        if(this.level > 10){
            if(randomNumber > 80){
            return 10 //Assume the lunge skill' id is 10
            }
            else{
            return 1
            }
        }
    }
    return 1
};
Or if you prefer the hard way (I think so) Yanfly have "Weapon Unleash" plugin that can change the normal attack command base on your state, buff, weapon, ... But I don't know how to deal with your RNG base

Good concept I might copy your idea for my game if you allow me to do it :kaoluv:
 

Kilravok

Veteran
Veteran
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
73
Reaction score
4
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good concept I might copy your idea for my game if you allow me to do it
Me too, if I may. Not for my current project, I believe, but one of my future ones. Giving the characters several combat "modes" to choose from, rather than specific actions, may make for a nice system.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

so, ive been gone for too long when i log in and see that everything is where is shouldn't be. XD
Steam killing my eyes.. I forgot why I use it only when I have no other choice
Making a map, my brain went "Look, Mjölnir!" as I plotted out a sacrificial entrance.

Actually, it went, "Look, hammer. Wait, Thor's hammer!"
CG tile rendering, take 3: windows.
which section you guys think looks more accurate to the perspective? left or right?

for reference, this is what it looks like "at street level"
Okay, Animal Crossing is remarkably addictive and exceptionally calming. I've been playing it pretty exclusively... like... 6 hours a day. Been a while since I've been this engrossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
95,402
Messages
928,920
Members
125,620
Latest member
Marlin
Top