Skill tab lacking options. (Shouldn't have to be plugin dependant)

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi guys, I'm feeling pretty disappointed with the MV's skill tab.
I want to make a bunch of skills to make combat more interesting such as adding buffs like increased hit chance, weakness to element types. Crit chance etc.

But there is virtually NONE of that in the program.
You are restricted to only altering stats and states. The special effect only has the escape option and the formula does not give you definitions for other types besides stats.
I remember previous rpg maker programs had a larger variety of skill options but this is just insulting. A typical RPG has more variety than this.

Is there something I am missing? Because I'm not even asking for complicated skill types and it just seems a bit odd that I'm essentially relying on plugins for this kind of thing.
If that's the case then what plugin out there is for this?

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi guys, I'm feeling pretty disappointed with the MV's skill tab.
I want to make a bunch of skills to make combat more interesting such as adding buffs like increased hit chance, weakness to element types. Crit chance etc.

You are restricted to only altering stats and states. The special effect only has the escape option and the formula does not give you definitions for other types besides stats.
I remember previous rpg maker programs had a larger variety of skill options but this is just insulting. A typical RPG has more variety than this.

Is there something I am missing? Because I'm not even asking for complicated skill types and it just seems a bit odd that I'm essentially relying on plugins for this kind of thing.

1) Create a state that increases hit rate/crit/whatever else you want, then have the skill apply that state.

2) The damage formula is actually super versatile, you can do great things with it. Especially if you know javascript, since you can use code in it, like script calls. For example:

Code:
if(a.atk>b.def) { 5*a.atk } else { 5*a.atk-3*b.def }

This would make the skill compare the Attack of the attacker with Defense of the defender. If it's higher, the skill ignores the defender's Defense value.

There's a lot more examples elsewhere, you just need to look.

3) You can also have the skill run a Common Event when used, which adds more options.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
such as adding buffs like increased hit chance
Play with states trait
weakness to element types
Play with states trait
Crit chance
Play with states trait
Play with states trait

Have you looked at the state's traits?
You are restricted to only altering stats and states.
I remember previous rpg maker programs had a larger variety of skill options but this is just insulting.
Which RPG Maker? and such as?

A typical RPG has more variety than this.
I agree.

Is there something I am missing?

Because I'm not even asking for complicated skill types and it just seems a bit odd that I'm essentially relying on plugins for this kind of thing.
You probably don't.

It is probably not the case.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
using a skill is the action while damage and states are the effect of the action.
how is the skill supposed to know how long a hit rate buff will last for? the state's duration thats how.

damage formula in MV can actually do alot since MV formulas have no size limit.

to do something like skill targets enemy but adds state to the user,
the database doesnt have that option but the damage formula does.

as for the default engines "Buff" system, nobody really uses that, we just make states with the same effect and use the states. much easyer to manage and control the actual amount it gets buffed.
(the default buff system is a 25% buff but what if wanted the protect spell to double def stat instead?
wouldnt use the buff system would just be a state with def*200%)

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I once thought about a boss gauntled game. I actually did it.
Stream will be live shortly with some Gex 3! Feel free to drop by!
Snippet from a game I'm working on. Not much happening here. Mostly look at atmosphere. May upload a longer version. Still need to make up some enemy arts.
Been slightly struggling with developing the latest chapter, I think I will downscale my ambitions and make it more linear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spectrallax