Skill Tree Using Eventing/Scripting

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by JGreene, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In this tutorial, I'll be showing you how to create your own skill tree using events and the help of a few plugins. This is an open ended feature of which there seems to be very little actual support for in MV. So that's why I've made this tutorial for you! Hope you enjoy! Happy RPG making!

Plugins Used:

Video:

Help File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/licziwe4igmaf2a/Skill Tree Guide.docx?dl=0

Demo:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1rxq0jksk1tpxc/Sample.7z?dl=0

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I saw this in the video you did on youtube and thought it was helpful, I wouldn't want a skill tree with this exact GUI layout but at the same time you cover it really well, so thanks. :)

JGreene likes this.
  3. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! You can make it look however you want. Custom background, icons, layout, everything. :)

atoms likes this.
  4. Espilonarge

Espilonarge Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the information. I'll most likely be adding this to my game in the future. :)

Also, if you're using Yanfly's Message Core plugin, Yanfly's Extended Message Pack 1 plugin also includes several commands such as "HideChoice X", "ShowChoice X", "DisableChoice X" and "EnableChoice X" (with X being the choice number) when making Conditional Branches.

Please note that if you use Yanfly's Extended Mesage Pack 1 plugin, Himework's Disable Choice Conditions plugin will not be not compatible (the latter of which wouldn't be needed as Extended Message Pack 1 includes a number of other features that can be useful).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    JGreene likes this.
  5. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks @Espilonarge :)

It takes more effort to set up Yanfly's plugin, so I chose not to use it here. Both the message packs are good plugins, nonetheless.

Espilonarge likes this.
  6. LucasRiot

LucasRiot HUMANELFO Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello JGreene, I loved your Skill Tree System.
    I was looking to make it something similar to the Crystarium system (FFXIII), from which you can not unlearn the abilities (or attributes), so I decided to remove the unlearn settings:

However, I copied all of your settings shown in the video and had many doubts:
    1 - First problem: In the Skill Tree, after selecting Learn, execution of attribute change does not work and neither JP is counted.
    2 - About the events on the maps that run the Common Events, you did not show in the video. :(
    3 - About the settings that use the other plugins, as I followed only step by step of your events, did not work equally to the video, because there were settings in the plugins that you did not show entirely. For example: Show the JP's window on the screen... My cursor didn't work as well as yours, it was like I was walking on the map, this shouldn't be correct, right? (I did all settings you did on the video and checked it more than once to be sure)

I know this is asking a lot, but you would have to demonstrate this project (a DEMO, so I could study it better) and send me or even post here on the topic.
    I would appreciate it very much.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update: Since this seems to be somewhat popular on Youtube and people have been requesting it, I added a link to the demo project that was used in the video. :)