MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, I have some doubts about how to manage the skills in my project. In the game, you (the player) require an item in order to enable the use of skills (i.e a fire orb equiped to actor 1 allows him to use fire skills), also, per skill type, an actor can only equip 6 of them for battle (so if an actor knows 9 fire skills, it can only use 6 of them in battle); but I ran into an issue with how to display them.

Would it be better to display in battle:
  • Every skill in a different sublist according to their object? (Following the example, all the skills obtained from the fire orb in a skill list of fire skills, and skills from water orb in a water skills list)
  • Or, having every skill in one main list for skills
I feel that every skill type having its own sublist its more organized, but having in mind they can equip to a max of 5 skill items maybe it would be too much to display?

I'd like to hear some suggestions on how to manage this... :kaoback:

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would say that going for the sub-menu is the right choice, however, that also depends on the kind of UI that you are using. If you use the default GUI to display skills, which only allows you to display 4 entries in when picking a skill type, having 5 of them might be sub-optimal as players would be unable to see everything at once.

In this particular situation, since the default system shows skills in two different columns and a maximum of 6 skills per element means that each element takes up to 3 rows, having them in the same menu might be a better solution. It allows the player to see a lot of skills at once, maybe even all of them (I do not remember how many lines are displayed in total).

On the other hand, if you are using a different GUI where all your five elements can fit at once, using a sub-menu for each element is definitely more organized and can help the player to select skills faster.

Regardless of which one is the best option according to the UI that you are using, being able to select skills faster has three very nice implications (actually only one, because the others are technically a chain of implications):
  1. the time spent pressing arrow keys (which is not fun) is reduced, making combat more fun;

2. if combat is more fun, you can put more fights and make it easier to predict the outcome of a certain exploration (everybody who knows a bit of statistics will be able to tell you that the higher the number of trials, the closer you get to the theoretical result);

3. making things easier to calculate means that you can have a more balanced game and that you can grant the player a better experience.

It might sound crazy, but all those things are the result of a simple action such as finding the best way to organize skills in your GUI.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Game Mechanics Design is not for feedback on individual, specific projects but for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level.

[MOVE]Game Ideas and Prototypes[/MOVE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(
Cartoonier cloud cover that better fits the art style, as well as (slightly) improved blending/fading... fading clouds when there are larger patterns is still somewhat abrupt for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usagiis