AnimexGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello! I am new to this engine and I am enjoying it so far. I've only been playing around with it and I got curious as to whether or not it is possible to cast a skill that would do the equivalent of two skills. For example:
Skill A = Skill B then Skill C to

Double Edge Sword Skill = Damage enemy unit + Damage user

This is currently the type of skill that I am planning to do. However, I would also like to add more variety to it such as a skill that damages an enemy while also buffing allies, etc. I am new to this and have no skill whatsoever in programming. Is there a way to do this with the stock engine or do I have to (I don't know what these are btw) add scripts or code lines.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, and there are several ways depending on details.

1) youcan add a single common event as the effect, but that common event can do a lot of different things. Problem is that the common event is independent of the skill and has to use some complex eventing to determine targets and so on.

2) you can use javascript in the damage formula to have additional effects. Problems here are that the damage formula is processed once per hit - which means never if the skill doesn't hit and multiple times if the skill targets more than one battler.

3) there are several plugins that allow the use of notetags for additional effects. Problem here is that those plugins often do more than only what you want, and that they need more javascript knowledge (more than in point 2)

AnimexGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So... uhm... What do I do?

1) youcan add a single common event as the effect, but that common event can do a lot of different things. Problem is that the common event is independent of the skill and has to use some complex eventing to determine targets and so on.
I was fiddling with this a little bit, and made a common event named "Double Edge Return Damage". I tried to do the "Force Action" but I'm just very confused about what it is.

1653483016959.png

Like, why is Enemy #1 with a question mark, and why does target only have Last Target, Random, and Indices 1-8 on them?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because the force action neither knows what the skill targets, nor which troop you plan to battle.

the question marks would be replaced by names if you used that skill in a troop event, outside the battle the index #1 to #8 means either party member #1 to #8, or enemy #1 to #8 depending on what the skill targets and who uses it (there is a reason the skills target ally or enemy, when the user can be actor or troop member...).

I did say that the targeting is a problem with common events - it can work, but requires some knowledge and planning.

for your specific example the option 2 (damage formula coding) would be the better solution, there is an entire topic/tutorial about damage formula coding for MV/MZ on this forum.

AnimexGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
for your specific example the option 2 (damage formula coding) would be the better solution, there is an entire topic/tutorial about damage formula coding for MV/MZ on this forum.
Could you link me to this said thread?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if I had the link ready I would have given it.
but it is very easy to find because it is one of the pinned topics

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Game Making Every Day #20:kaohi:

ScreenShot_8_14_2022_11_55_51.png
FINALLY added the comic bubble to the Title Screen...
I know I'll put one of my game's sprites here to give the illusion that I am a productive member of game society.
handelspriteanim.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milkpowder