- Game developer -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone !

I have worked on my project since 6 months or something like that, and the progress is good. Right now, I'm asking myself if it wouldn't be good to change something.

This something is in the battle system, it's about TP and MP costs.
When I play my game as far as it's completed now, I don't really like the costs of skills and magic : MP for magic and TP for physical skills. It's hard to balance in order to not make the player feel captive of what he does in battle. But I don't want to make the game too much easy by removing all the costs.

And I have thought of something. The cooldown system brought by Yanfly can maybe help me to balance uses of the skills and magic in battle by making them usable only after a few turns (I am using CTB, and make a different cooldown on skills according to their power.
And the Limited Skill uses can help me too by making the most powerful skills only available a certain amount of times in battle ; that way, I don't remove the aspect of using with parcimony skills, but I don't make a normal system of MP and TP costs (or even HP costs).

I have thought of it as well because my game is about very talented monster hunters, knights formed since their childhood. The four protagonists of my game have received this formation. My game isn't the story of a young man that quits his home and his parents and discover the world (in this kind of story, MP and TP is a good system). But as my four protagonists are powerful fighters, I feel like the two alternative systems I propose in this thread are better concrete examples of this story.

What do you think of it ? Is that viable, and would you play a game like this ?

Thank you for reading !

Vexatious

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been trying to decide if I want to do the CTB system or the MTB. but since you're discussing CTB, I'll talk about that.

Personally, it comes down to a few factors when I look at things.
If you're doing MP and TP, I see that as endurance, something like spell slots in DnD. If they're in a large dungeon, sure you can go gun-ho and use a ton of spells, but depending on how easy you make regeneration of these resources, they may decide to hold back and not use it as often.

So it can seem unbalanced in short-term playtesting, but when you have to go through a larger dungeon, imagine the player worrying that they won't make it to the end with any MP left. So even if the spells are powerful, yes, it limits the use throughout the dungeon.

If you wanted to, you could even combine them. Even if a person has the endurance to cast a lot of spells (i.e. a lot of MP), a cooldown of two or three turns could, in essence, them regaining their strength to be able to cast it again. (There could even be different levels, where you have spell slots. Maybe you have four. This spell takes three, and you regain one "cooldown" slot per turn. If the previous spell only took three, but you have a healing spell that only takes two, you could cast it next turn since you regain one over the end of the turn, and you had one previous. Something like that? Just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.)

I think I rambled, but hopefully I explained well enough!

Nantas

- Game developer -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've thought of that, but something came to my mind : I want my game to be story based. I mean that I prefer to tell a story above everything else. But I like combat in RPG's and I want to add it too. And combined with these two goals, one of exploration.

I think that a game must help the player. What I mean is that there's no sense to get the player into frustrating situations, and that makes even less sense when gameplay isn't the most important aspect of the game.
If I want to make the player play my game until the last moment, to the end of the story, I must do battles in a way that won't make the player rage quit my game.

And I have decided for that to give limitations to the skills in battle only for skills that are very strong ; and the others, that are or interesting mechanics or visually appreciable won't have any limitations, only cooldowns.

Vexatious

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That could be an interesting way as well; Even making it so some things are just different versions of "basic" attack. For instance a wizard can shoot simple magic out of their staff/wand, and they can choose which. But if they want to do something more powerful, that's where the limitations would kick in.

Same with physical attacks. Thrust, swipe, legsweep; Basic stuff. Then special abilities that are stronger but with a limitation.
Sounds like it might take some experimentation. :) I like to make a Debug warp map and have one section with an NPC that just has a menu to start various battle scenarios.

Nantas

- Game developer -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do the same with debug maps :) Naturally everything I said is experimentation right now, and I am trying to see if it works. But I think that it will work, because the player will start with some more liberty than usual making the battles more enjoyable. Difficulty will be set based on that system.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Cooldowns tend to be a very useful tool for asking players to engage in short-term management of skill use, rather than long-term (dungeon-wide) management.

Therefore, in general, it tends to be an appropriate choice if the challenge in your game is intended to come from individual battles being a possible threat to your player. If there aren't too many battles but each battle is challenging in and of itself, Cooldowns are a good pick.

It is not usually an appropriate choice if each battle is supposed to be easy, but the challenge is supposed to come from having your resources whittled away as you run a dungeon.

Nantas

- Game developer -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am at the moment recreating my combats, classes and skills, and I think that I will try to reduce the number of combats in my game and try to make them more offensive and challenging (but not too much), by making more organized combats (with more than 3 enemies : a bunch of little enemies that are just annoying, and some more offensive enemies).

All of that will ask some work and testing but I prefer a lot challenging little combats than easy peasy combats and hard bosses.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)
Just for the record you CAN use the "Exclude unused files" successfully to trim a project down seriously even if you're doing calls to various assets via plugins and such. BUT you need to do a full playtest of pretty much every option to ensure you did get every one of those other assets added in. Then I dumped the assets into a fresh copy of the project and yay it was like 400 Meg......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivysabs