Skills Don't Level (i.e. Magic) by Default?!

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Skills and Magic don't level? Each Level is a separate spell and each Skill is a separate Skill (with a different level)? Really?

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can make spells and magic level, it all depends on what you mean by 'level'. For instance, if you want them to get stronger the more you use them, you can use v[x] to both increase the value and to use it as part of the damage.

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the formula, I'm assuming? But the level # never goes up, right? At least there is a way it can get better.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use variables.

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the formula, I'm assuming? But the level # never goes up, right? At least there is a way it can get better.
That depends, you can use Variables to make the calculation and you can Add and Remove skills by the level too, kind like in a Persona game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the skill damage formula can use any value from the actor - and if that value increases, the effect of the skill increases.
The default damage formula scales by the user attack value, and if the actor using that skill has increased attack then the skill will get better, And the attack usually rises with the actor level.

you as the developer can decide what formulae you want to use inside what skill.
if you are unsure as to what to do, describe the effect that you want and we can tell you how to write the formula.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You sounded like you kinda assumed or expected RPG Maker to have some premade system for leveling up skills. Actually I think it's good that it doesn't have it, because there is no common rule for RPGs how (or if) skills progress. Should each skill have EP that increase when using it? Or do you want to stick with Fire I, Fire II, Fire III and only on specific points you can upgrade skills? RPGMaker could have implemented one solution, but then most of the Devs would just stick to it instead of thinking about what system they really want to have.

So, what is your plan about skill progression for your game?

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hadn't thought about the Fire I, Fire II, Fire III scenario... I was, for some reason, assuming that Fire Level 1 would eventually become Fire Level 2 through experience or Actor level up. Now that all this discussion has happened, I realize I was wrong in making the assumption in the first place.

Putting some thought into it, I think I'm more into the idea that I want to have the Fire I, Fire II, Fire III scenario. I may want leveling spells and skills in the future but my current project should just have flat spells.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may want leveling spells and skills in the future but my current project should just have flat spells.
just keep in mind that scaling and leveling are two different things.
while the default skills in RM do not level, they do scale and get higher damage when the actor parameters increase.
to get flat damage skills you have to replace the default damage formulae with fixed numbers.

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Scaling is acceptable and will be what is going to happen the way I currently have things set up.

I feel like I'm not even scratching the surface of everything I need to know to fully utilize this program. I know I'm new but holy moly is there a lot I uncover when I'm looking for answers to things... and I'm not even close to diving deep into plugins yet or javascripting.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I'm not even scratching the surface of everything I need to know to fully utilize this program.
on average most people need at least a month to learn the basics of the engine - IF they have a guide to that. Without a guide trying to learn on their own? half a year, scrapping their project two or three times when they learn how to do things better.

follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature, I wrote that exactly to help new people along, and it counts for Ace, MV and MZ equally.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkValkyrieSin