Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I currently have 3 melee classes/trees/archetypes in my game, w/ the rest being different magical schools and a physical ranged dps (bow/arrow). I just need help flushing out the 3 melee types: Dueling, Great Weaponry, & Protection. (I may rename them Duelist, Berserker, & Guardian...but that is a trivial matter). Anyways these are the skills I've come up w/ so far:

The player can spend their Job points to reach higher tiers of each specialization (they can mix and match, but need to unlock lower tiers to get to higher ones). The skills themselves cost 1 point each, but unlocking each requires points equal to its tier #. Tier 1 requires 1 point, tier 2 requires 2 points...etc...all the way to tier 5 which requires 5 JP. You gain 1 job point per level.

Each tier will offer 2 active abilities and 1 passive ability to choose from. You can choose to spend your points on 1 or all 3 abilities or save the points for later tiers or different trees, up to you!

Dueling - Specializing in 1-handed weapons, whether dual wielding or w/ a single 1-handed weapon. Best used w/ high a Dexterity stat (which increases crit/hit/counter chance, but increases dmg at half the rate of Strength). This tree is meant to be a balance between offense and defense.

Cripple?/Hamstring?: Deals slight damage, rooting the target in place for 1 turn and reduces the target’s Speed by 50% for 3 turns thereafter. CD: 4 turns.
Combat Stance: Increases Strength, Dexterity, & Speed by 10%. Active until another stance is activated.
Blade Mastery: (Passive) Increases chance to Counter by 3% per rank of Dueling.
★★
Circumvent: Sidestep diagonally to flank an enemy within a 2-tile radius. Deals slight damage. Generates 8 Focus (TP). CD: 2 turns.
Swift Strike: Deals moderate Weapon damage while increasing Evasion & Speed by 15% for 1 turn.
Anticipation: (Passive) Hostile melee attacks are also Evaded when Countering.
★★★
Disarm: Prevents the target from using physical attacks/abilities for 3 turns. CD: 4 turns.
Steady Strike: Deals moderate Weapon damage and generates 8 Focus (TP).
Opportunistic: (Passive) Gain 10 Focus when attacking a target from behind and 5 Focus from the side. Such attacks have a +10% & +5% increased chance to Hit respectively.
★★★★
Duel: Challenge the target to a duel, increasing all damage you and the target deal to each other by 40% for 4 turns. CD: 4 turns.
Riposte: Guard yourself and increase your chance to Counter by 100% for 1 turn. CD: 4 turns.
Retaliation: (Passive) Allows the use of both weapons when you Counter while gaining 8 Focus when you do. Counters now scale slightly with Strength & Dexterity.
★★★★★
Assassinate: Instantly kills the target. User’s Max HP must be greater than target’s Max HP & user must be behind the target. CD: 8 turns.
??? (need ideas)
Blade Dance: (Passive) Successful melee attacks increase the user's Speed, Hit, & Counter chance by 3%/2%/1% respectively, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, the user gains an extra attack next turn, consuming the effect.

Great Weaponry - Specializing in 2-handed weapons. Best used w/ a high Strength stat (which increases physical dmg and critical hit multiplier). This tree is great for players who want to just hit really really hard.

Crush: Deals slight damage and reduces the target’s Armor by 50% for 4 turns. Also delays the target's turn order. CD: 4 turns.
Aggressive Stance: Increases Armor Penetration, Physical Critical Strike chance, & Weapon Unleash chance by 10% but reduces Evasion by 15%. Active until another stance is activated.
2H Weapon Mastery: (Passive) Increases Armor Penetration by 3% per rank of Great Weaponry.
★★
Charge: Rush forward in a straight line up to 3 tiles away. Deals slight Weapon damage to the 1st enemy in the way. Generates 8 Focus. CD: 2 turns.
Heavy Strike: Deals moderately high Weapon damage with 20% Armor Penetration.
First Blood: (Passive) Attacking a target that has 100% HP remaining with a melee attack grants the user an additional 30 Focus.
★★★
Crescent Strike: A wide swing that deals moderate Weapon damage to any targets in a 3-tile wide area in front of the user.
??? (need ideas)
Deep Wounds: (Passive) Your melee Critical Strikes inflict a Bleed on the target, causing 50% of damage dealt over 3 turns.
★★★★
Execute: Deals greater damage the closer the target is to death.
??? (need ideas)
Vengeance: (Passive) Sustaining a Critical Hit increases Strength by 20% next turn then down to 10% for the turn after.
★★★★★
Berserking: Increases the user's physical Critical Strike chance by 100%, but reduces the user’s Armor & Resist by 90% for the next 2 turns. Spells cost twice as much while enraged.
Obliterate: Deals VERY high Weapon damage with 50% Armor Penetration. User suffers 50% of damage dealt as recoil damage.
Brutality: (Passive) Increases Critical Strike chance of melee attacks by 5% after every non-critical melee attack. Resets upon landing a Critical Strike.

You'll notice that each tier usually offers 1 attack skill and 1 utility skill out of the 2 active abilities. The attack skill will require a weapon type corresponding w/ that archetype, whereas the utility skill will not (so characters focusing on different builds can still learn these skills and benefit from it). E.g. Obliterate would require a 2H weapon to be equiped, while Berserking would not. Same goes for Riposte and Duel or Steady Strike and Disarm (an unarmed combatant can disarm someone IRL for example) etc...

I'd post the Protection tree as well, but that one is nowhere near as fleshed out as the former 2. Still, I'd welcome any and all ideas for any of these 3 melee types. Btw, if it isn't obvious, I've taken a lot of inspiration from WoW (World of Warcraft) mostly because I've spent so many years of my life on it lol. Anyways, any and all ideas/criticisms are welcome, especially those for a "tank". Thx!

Edit: I will prolly end up adjust some of the cooldowns on these abilities. I also have the TP cost for most of them, but since they are most likely going to change, I did not list them. In my game, TP is neither gained from attacking nor being attacked. But you start with 50/100 Focus (TP) and normal attack (along w/ a couple others) gives +8TP. I'm striving for normal attacks to not be boring, due to various procs and Weapon Unleashes! (think Golden Sun)

Edit2: Improved legibility

Last edited:

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a few ideas for your shield user (I have always viewed shield users as frontline controllers):

Metal Shell: Deflect/Reflect on enemy non-magic attack back at the attacker if your attack is higher than theirs.
Iron Wall: (passive) add shield's defense on top of weapon damage for melee attacks made.
Taunting Strike: Deal extra damage as you force the enemy to target you.
Throw Shield: Throw your shield at your target, knocking them off guard (apply x status effect).
Shield Slash: Use side of shield to deal slashing damage that bypasses defense and causes bleeding.
Tower Stance: Increase Defense by 100% but lower Attack by 50%
Guardians Duty: (passive) constant Substitute [take allies attacks]
Throat Punch: Silence enemy so they cannot use spells/skills.
Turtle Up: Completely negate next attack against you. Lower your attack and defense for 2 rounds after.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a few ideas for your shield user (I have always viewed shield users as frontline controllers):

Metal Shell: Deflect/Reflect on enemy non-magic attack back at the attacker if your attack is higher than theirs.
Iron Wall: (passive) add shield's defense on top of weapon damage for melee attacks made.
Taunting Strike: Deal extra damage as you force the enemy to target you.
Throw Shield: Throw your shield at your target, knocking them off guard (apply x status effect).
Shield Slash: Use side of shield to deal slashing damage that bypasses defense and causes bleeding.
Tower Stance: Increase Defense by 100% but lower Attack by 50%
Guardians Duty: (passive) constant Substitute [take allies attacks]
Throat Punch: Silence enemy so they cannot use spells/skills.
Turtle Up: Completely negate next attack against you. Lower your attack and defense for 2 rounds after.
These are some cool ideas, especially the passives! Throat Punch made me lol, that's definitely a keeper. So as I'm trying to flesh out the Protection tree, I got to thinking...how much damage should a tank be doing? Certainly less than the other 2, but how much less? I fear it wouldn't be very satisfying to play a tank that hits like a wet noodle, or am I alone in that opinion? (Which is why I really like "Iron Wall")

Edit: Also, the 3 blank slots (???) are really bugging me...I'm having a really hard time coming up w/ some utility abilities for those slots. The help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I also came up w/ this using inspiration from some of the skills you posted:
Shield Bash: Deals mild damage (scales w/ DEF) and reduces Physical damage taken by 15% for 2 turns. Also delays the target's turn order.

And this one is basically the opposite of "Execute" in the Great Weaponry tree:
Revenge: Damage dealt is greater the closer the user is to death.

And here's a passive I came up w/ (nothing fancy, but effective for a tank):
Endure: (Passive) Reduces damage taken by 30% while under 30% HP.

Edit 2: So instead of brainstorming ideas for my game, I'd welcome a discussion of skills for melee characters in general, for anyone's game. I want everyone to be able to draw inspiration and benefit from this brainstorming session, not just me. ^.^

*But not only skills, thoughts/opinions on the roles melee characters could/should play or the various ways these can be achieved are welcome too.

Last edited:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Here are some Random Ideas that came to my mind :

Duelist :

Counter - Raise Counter Rate for next 'x" Turns
Unique Feature : Regenerate Minor Health every Turn, For duration of this Buff
Cooldown : 5, Cost : TP, Buff Duration : 5 Turns

Cougar Strike - Dash towards Single Target delivering a Strike (Average Damage)
Unique Feature : Disable the Target from using Attack Skills for many Turns
Cooldown : 3, Cost : Mana

Berserker :

Power Armor - Converts a significant % of Defense to Attack
Unique Feature : Grants a Temporary Crit Strike increase
Cooldown : 7, Cost : Free, Buff Duration : 5 Turns

Shadow Fang - Shadow Fangs strike 3 Random Targets (High Damage)
Unique Feature : Reduce Enemy's Max Health by 20%
Cooldown : 4, Cost : Health

Guardian :

Shield Bash - Deal Damage based on Defensive Value of Shield to Single Target (Low Damage)
Unique Feature : High Chance to Stun the Target
Cooldown : 2, Cost : Mana

Rally - Inspire Team-mates i.e, Allies or Pets with a Random Powerful Stat Buff (Multiple Varieties)
Unique Feature : Small chance to Grant Multiple Stat Buffs at same time
Cooldown : 12, Cost : TP, Buff Duration : 10 Turns

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many of the buffs/debuffs in my game have X amount of turns of duration, so I wanted to add a skill that deviated from that. This is one example I came up w/...

Great Weaponry
Sharpen Weapon: Increases Armor Penetration and physical Critical Strike chance by 15% but decreases by 3% for every physical attack you land. CD: 6 turns

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd check out Bravely Default and Bravely Second for some of their skill ideas. But here are some of mines

Duelist:
First Impression: Deals onus damage when enemy is full HP
Tiger Claw: Deals 1.3x damage and activated Turtle Stance which raises all defenses by X%.
Turtle Spin: Deals 1.3x damage and activated Tiger Stance which raises all offenses by X%.
Analyze: Scan / lower shields / removes null-weakness
Arm Slash: Strikes enemies arm lowering str
Leg Slash: Strikes enemies legs lowering agility
Provoke: Lowers enemies def / hit and raises their str *instant*
Limber Up: Raises users agility / hit / eva
Flash of Steel: raises users crit chance
Unyielding Spirit: every turn adds +X to users Stats to a max of X.
Last Chance: While under 25%HP deals bonus damage with a higher chance to crit.

Great Weapons:
Giant Slayer: Deals bonus damage to enemies with higher max hp %
Push Assault: Deals 2x damage but lowers users Def and Agi.
Flex: *instant* raises users Str for one turn. 2turn cd
Sharpen: raises users Str
Focused Blade: doubles str for next action
Heliochop: strikes all foes
Broadside: stuns a foe with minimal damage
Overhead Strike: bashes an enemies head dealing extreme damage
Spin Cycle: spins your weapon hitting an enemy 4x for minimal damage
Bracing Stance: raises def and lowers agility
Quick Counter: deals damage based on how much higher the enemies Agility is compared to yours.

Protection:
Shield Bash: deals more damage based off users Def
Shield Wall: reduces all damage by 30%.
Boomerang: Tosses your shield between all foes dealing damage
Pact of Heroes: you protect an ally for the next X turns.
Trust: blocks fatal damage for one ally. only works once per battle
Pocket Apple: after battles restores HP
Armor Patch: raises critical evasion by X%.
Sturdy: Unit can't be slept, blinded, stunned or bleeding
Stand Tall: lowers enemies Str
Barricade: can't take more then 20% of users max HP as damage per turn for the next X turns.
Bright Shield: blinds a foe
Hearty Laugh: restores HP every turn for X turns
One more Story: user is revived upon death only once per battle.
Tackle Attack: Charges a foe dealing damage
In the Midst: Taunts all foes and gains X Def/Res per foe taunted. Stuns user for X turns

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Moving to Game Ideas & Prototypes.

Like with your Weapon Stats/Bonuses topic, this is very specific for your game. When asking for help fleshing out lists of things for your game, always post in Game Ideas & Prototypes.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[MOD]Moving to Game Ideas & Prototypes.[/MOD]Like with your Weapon Stats/Bonuses topic, this is very specific for your game. When asking for help fleshing out lists of things for your game, always post in Game Ideas & Prototypes.
Ahh, I was also interested in hearing other people's setups, but I listed how things worked in my game for other people to draw inspiration from, however I can see the confusion now upon rereading my post. My apologies...

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ahh, I was also interested in hearing other people's setups, but I listed how things worked in my game for other people to draw inspiration from, however I can see the confusion now upon rereading my post. My apologies...
No need for apologies; the difference between the two boards can be fine and hard to recognize sometimes. To clear things up, this topic is intimately linked to your own game because not only did you give a big list of skills from your own game, you specifically asked for help fleshing out classes that are in your game ("I just need help flushing out the 3 melee types: Dueling, Great Weaponry, & Protection"), and you even explained the entire Skill Learn system in your game (which has nothing to do with archetypal skills). That makes this thread a great "Help me develop a design" prototype topic, but a poor "Game Mechanics" discussion topic, which is why I made the move.

If you want to start a new Game Mechanics Design discussion thread to ask the community what kinds of cool Melee Class skills and effects they've designed in their own game, or seen in different games they've played, you can absolutely do that! You can add a brief selection of your game's skills as good examples to get the discussion rolling, or you could include a link to this topic as your example; just be sure on the GMD board that your opening post only provides enough to get a general discussion rolling rather than going into the nuts and bolts of your game. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Comedy is third person, tragedy is first person.
Man. A historic 130 year old church nearby had all of its windows broken out with bricks last night. Such a shame, it wasn't generic stained glass patterns either but had beautifully crafted murals depicting various parts of the gospels.
The Steam Summer Sale's been treating me nicely. Now if only game sales were always this good...
I wonder how many others browse the forum on their phones...
I never thought I'd personally be, but it has long since eclipsed whatever I've done on a computer.
I need help badly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GenericSideCharacter