Skills not showing up upon class change

Ichida za Zeal

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have event scripts for characters to change classes, but the skills that they should learn from their new class don't show up even though they're set to learn at level 1. I assume I'm missing something?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I seem to recall this was an issue in ACE too. The best solution I found was to make all skills learnable at level 2 onwards, then once they leveled up you learned the skills.

Ichida za Zeal

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So there's no way to have them auto-learn class skills when switching classes?

There has to be. I don't want to have to program a whole damn tree of "IF ACTOR IS LEVEL # LEARN SKILL #" branches for my TEN characters multiplied by however many skills I feel like giving them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What you are missing is how characters learn skills. They learn a skill upon leveling up in a class and the skill is learned by the character and not by the character class. This means that if I have a level 5 character who leveled up into the Hero class he has knows all hero's skill until level 5. If the class changes for any reason then the character retains all the already learned skills and starts leraning skills of the new class upon leveling up.

To fix this you should do something like this:

1. save character EXP into a variable
  2. remove all the already known skills of the previous class
  3. change character class
  4. add all level 1 skills of the new class
  5. add the value of the variable to character EXP
And to do this you don't need a script, you can do it via events.

EDIT: you need no condition branches, you only need to initialize the character and remove the level 1 skills of the default class. Anyway try to not add scripts for functions the engine already has. I strongly recommend you to read this thread and what Andar says about adding or not a script (point 15).

alberthk

EM[P]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
. . .does the new class have the skill type of the said learned skill's skill type?

Ichida za Zeal

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
. . .does the new class have the skill type of the said learned skill's skill type?
Yes. I have the skills categorized as "Attacks," I've added "Add Skill Type: Attacks" to the trait menu for the new class, but when I open up the "Attacks" menu in battle, the skills aren't there.

Ichida za Zeal

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
What you are missing is how characters learn skills. They learn a skill upon leveling up in a class and the skill is learned by the character and not by the character class. This means that if I have a level 5 character who leveled up into the Hero class he has knows all hero's skill until level 5. If the class changes for any reason then the character retains all the already learned skills and starts leraning skills of the new class upon leveling up.

To fix this you should do something like this:

1. save character EXP into a variable
  2. remove all the already known skills of the previous class
  3. change character class
  4. add all level 1 skills of the new class
  5. add the value of the variable to character EXP
And to do this you don't need a script, you can do it via events.

EDIT: you need no condition branches, you only need to initialize the character and remove the level 1 skills of the default class. Anyway try to not add scripts for functions the engine already has. I strongly recommend you to read this thread and what Andar says about adding or not a script (point 15).
This seems like way more of a pain than it should be.

Here's what I'm gonna do.

Each of my characters is always going to be either Class A or Class B (think Power Rangers). 

I'm going to add all of their skills to both classes, but only in Class B will they have access to those skills. That way when they level up they learn the skill no matter which class they are.

The silver lining is, at least I know that if I have events "unlock new skills" that they don't learn by levelling, they won't unlearn them when switching classes. That kind of solves a different problem I was wondering about in my head.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I ended up needing to do a chapter one world map remake. It's still WIP but coming along nicely. =D
Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cinar