Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please help me with th ideas. It is hard to think a useful idea for skills or states in the battlefield for a merchant. Thank you for your contribute.

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you making a post for every class or is there some you're thinking and researching on your own?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SweetMeltyLove, I will doing both of what you said after I get some sleep. Right now at my location is midnight and goodnight to you. If you found my action is immoral and mortality objection to you, please do as you will and thank you for stopping by. It is just an idea to start remember I have to learn to do it too if you think I am lazy.

_Leviathan

Envious
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, let us look at what a merchant does. A merchant excels in the trading of items and goods in exchange for money, but I'd imagine his stats would most certainly be far inferior to that of your typical fighter. So a merchant would probably lean more towards the 'utility' side with his skills and stats. This said, a merchant would fill the role of a support and provide benefits to his allies, but is virtually useless by himself.
Of course, his primary way of supporting his team would be through monetary gains... if you've the coin to spare.

Bribing an enemy - This could be one of the core skills. Bribing an enemy would bring it *temporarily* to the players side and make it fight for the players cause. The more currency is paid, the longer your mercenary will stay loyal. If it boggles your mind too much how one can bribe rabid dogs with gold coins, you can also put in more work and use food items as currency instead. I'd imagine that this skill would eat up all your gold quite fast though.

However as I said, a merchant wouldn't be much of a fighter, but more of a utility class. It would be much more interesting if a merchant could haggle lower prices at shops, and sell items for a higher price than usual. Persuading guards with a little bit of coin to have them turn a blind eye for a moment. Essentially open up more comfortable opportunities for the player which he can pay for.

Well, I'm sure you can figure out what to do with the class by yourself. Maybe you really like the idea of a battle merchant, but that does not appeal to someone like me. Either ways, do make up exotic skills, even if classes would only have 5 skills each. Flexibility and variety makes the players brain work, and immerses it into your world.
... Guess that's about it.

On a side note... Please refrain from creating too many similar topics when you can simply include all of your questions in a single topic. It floods the page and makes a slight mess of it, and makes it difficult for one person to respond to multiple questions. I'm not a moderator, but this is just a small suggestion that may keep you out of unnecessary trouble.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@_Leviathan. Do you think I should just put similar multiple questions in a single thread? Sometimes, I do think before I act. Nice to meet you. Thank you for your sincere concern.

Last edited:

_Leviathan

Envious
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@_Leviathan. Do you think I should just put similar multiple questions in a single thread? Sometimes, I do think before I act. Nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you as well -- I mean, does it count as 'meeting' online...?
Yes, you should've done so before. Too late now, don't bother. It would make it easier for people to reply to various questions at the same time and keeps the general discussion page nice and clean. Now, I'm not that familiar with what the mods here tolerate but a small flood of the sorts might make someone go tick. That or I'm just too strict.

Anyways, this thread should hurry and get back on topic.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@_Leviathan, anybody rarely knows the real people behind the profile. Mods here are very nice because I talk to them personally. They are very professional. Actually, it is not only me that create a thread and many people did that too. My thread will disappear about two days.

My takes on this:
Money Beg Strike: Cost 10 Gil and one target which cause stuns to the regular enemy.
More Money State: Earn extra money 100 Gil additional
Shop Open = allow to buy items on the store and can use in the battlefield.
Money Talk = Allow the party to run away from a regular enemy.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo and @_Leviathan
The strong recommendation that we always give is "one question, one thread". Experience shows that when people try and combine multiple questions, the result is confusion.

Having said that, I am aware that there has been a significant number of threads asking basically the same question, but for different classes. I would suggest that this eases up for a while, otherwise you are at risk of being seen as someone who wants others to make your game for you. I have deleted the thread which simply asks everyone to list every class they can possibly think of, as that is not a discussion topic.

@_Leviathan Please don't mini-mod. If something like this comes up again, just Report it and the mods can sort it out directly.

And now, back on topic.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes, thank you for clear thing up. I just ask to forsake of asking and I am ready has 200 skills and 50 states. I just technically asking from a different perspective from other game designers because I am not always doing the right things. It is a general discussion which I find interesting. Sometimes, I disagree with their methods. Sometimes, I agree with their methods.

@Kes, I am planning, practicing and testing stages for the game. Many things to learn right from making a game.:LZSsmile: I am still missing a story, so I have connected them together. @Kes, I will stop asking about the skills because I do ask obvious questions just for fun and learn from others perspective. Other thread might need more attention than this thread.

I would post my project ideas on "Ideas and Prototypes" section. I almost forget that section exist.

Last edited:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@_Leviathan With that Bribe skill, I think you've brought an entirely new meaning to "Hostile Takeover"!! :D

I don't necessarily have a lot to add here, but I do want to bring up a Merchant class of enemies that I made for one of my games! These enemies tended to use "Items" in order to attack - which were like Skills, except that rather than drawing from a common pool of MP, each type of "Item" the Merchant enemy could use drew from a limited number of charges of that Item. If the Merchant only has one Bomb, and uses Bomb on turn 1 of the fight, he won't use it again. All of the Merchant enemies also had a "Jackpot!" move which flung Gold coins at your characters, dealing damage to them. Afterward, any character could use their turn to pick up the Gold on the ground! Or they could ignore it and focus on the battle. So the move became not only a cool way to deal damage, but also an optional temptation to give up your turn in order to fatten your wallet. :D

hsw2201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my thought is: when a merchant is in your party, every transaction between shop and your party gives you some "merchant point"(like mileage), which can be used as special currency at merchant's guild or something like that. and make some items exclusive to that!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One suggestion I have is to read manuals from old games when you need ideas. If you buy any old games from gog.com they include the manual (if one exists). The old Wizardry and gold Box games are good sources for spell and skill ideas.

Also try gamefaqs.com. Though you'll need to know what game to look at here, but many of the popular games have faqs for skills, especially the final fantasies.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp, thank you for worry about me. It is a great idea. However, I have no problem with came up with ideas. I came up with the skills or states ideas which mostly requires coding and can be confused for me right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.
I'm sorry about earlier. I have the most hate and the most love for my art at the same time. Felt bad about my thread because I wasn't listening, and because I made it out of a bad mindset to begin with. S'another Thursday for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrollstorm