Skills with Common Events AND Multiple Turns Help

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have a character that uses a skill called "calculator" where it calls a common event where you pick numbers and symbols to determine what effect you want the attack to have, then it uses the force action command to do it. I have that part figured out fine, it works perfectly. However, later in the game, you have the option to give characters multiple actions, so they'd be able to use this skill multiple times. However, this is where it messes up. It uses it one time, but I believe that since it's the same character calling the same common event twice, which then forces an action, it cancels out all actions past the use of this skill, no matter if it's a normal attack or the same skill again. If anyone knows of anything ELSE that may be wrong, or of any workarounds, no matter what they are (including plugins), please let me know. Screenshots of the event and the skills it calls (and the one it's called by) are below.

Update! I solved it using some sorta interesting tactics. Here's how I did it:

The skill used from the menu no calls a different common event which simply increases a new variable by 1 each time the skill is used. Then, in EVERY "troop" event, I added a page that calls the original common event, but only if the user is alive (it's always the same character, Fisher). It loops so that it calls it however many times the skill was used. In the event that is called, it lowers the variable by 1. This also balances the skill more, as it was originally way stronger than any other character's skills due to the number of options, so now it will only take effect if they are still alive at the end of the turn, which makes it slightly less powerful. The event on the Troops page is shown at the bottom (well most of it, it was too big but all you're missing is the end of the branches and one loop break)

Calculator1.PNG Calculator2.PNG Calculator3.PNG Calculator4.PNG

Skills1.PNG Skills2.PNG Skills3.PNG Skills4.PNG Skills5.PNG Skills6.PNG Skills7.PNG Skills8.PNG

Fix.PNG

Last edited:

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping, if there isn't a solution please tell me because I'm lost at this point.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure if this is your problem, but by default MV only queues the most recent common event, i.e. if you select the skill twice, the second event call will replace the first, not stack with it. If you need the stacking behaviour then maybe check out this plugin: http://himeworks.com/2015/10/common-event-queue-mv/

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if this is your problem, but by default MV only queues the most recent common event, i.e. if you select the skill twice, the second event call will replace the first, not stack with it. If you need the stacking behaviour then maybe check out this plugin: http://himeworks.com/2015/10/common-event-queue-mv/
I wasn't sure if this was my problem, I thought maybe it was, so I tested that plugin. Unfortunately, it must be something else. I think it must be that using force action is canceling out actions past it, but thank you for trying to help!

SwiftSign

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you could try making it so that all the additional skills are actually script calls within the common event - rather than force move commands.

Inflicting states through eventing rather than a move is easy enough. I’m sure with a little bit of work you could replicate the damage formula/attack moves...?

Have you tried putting a call common event script in the damage formula? No idea if that works but it means it’ll be called much earlier (since CEs occur after damage and animation normally).

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you could try making it so that all the additional skills are actually script calls within the common event - rather than force move commands.

Inflicting states through eventing rather than a move is easy enough. I’m sure with a little bit of work you could replicate the damage formula/attack moves...?

Have you tried putting a call common event script in the damage formula? No idea if that works but it means it’ll be called much earlier (since CEs occur after damage and animation normally).
I'm not sure if it'd fix my problem, but how would you call the common event using the damage? Worst case scenario I'll just do all the damage and states within the common event as suggested, but if I can get around that then I'd rather do that.

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update! I solved it using some sorta interesting tactics. Here's how I did it:

The skill used from the menu no calls a different common event which simply increases a new variable by 1 each time the skill is used. Then, in EVERY "troop" event, I added a page that calls the original common event, but only if the user is alive (it's always the same character, Fisher). It loops so that it calls it however many times the skill was used. In the event that is called, it lowers the variable by 1. This also balances the skill more, as it was originally way stronger than any other character's skills due to the number of options, so now it will only take effect if they are still alive at the end of the turn, which makes it slightly less powerful. The event on the Troops page is shown below (well most of it, it was too big but all you're missing is the end of the branches and one loop break)

Fix.PNG

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dinogolfer Would you please put all those images in your first post into a spoiler. It makes scrolling down the page difficult and for those members who access this on their phones, it's a nightmare.

Thanks.

dinogolfer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dinogolfer Would you please put all those images in your first post into a spoiler. It makes scrolling down the page difficult and for those members who access this on their phones, it's a nightmare.

Thanks.
I apologize, I did that now. I'm new to these forums I didn't even know how to do that, let alone that it existed, but I figured it out sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamSlither