Future232

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an issue with VX Ace. I'm looking for a way to be able to skip a cutscene/movie. The only thing I could find about this sort of thing is a script called "Cutscene Skip" from 2015. It was made by someone named "SOURCE" but it looks like it is outdated, because it doesn't seem to work with me. I'm not sure why. If anyone knows a script like this, please tell me immediately. Thank you so much.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a reason why you don't find automatic cutscene skip scripts - because in a lot of cases, they produce more problems than they solve.

Just think:
you have a cutscene in which the player meets the goddess and gets the demonslyer sword at halfway, followed by instructions how to use it.
the player uses the script to skip the cutscene because he has a walkthrough - but because the cutscene is completely skipped, the command to give the demonsslayer sword is also skipped and the player leaves the cutscene unable to ever finish the game...

any cutscene script needs specific instructions on each cutscene as to what can be skipped and what not. There are some scripts that work that way (and it might be that you have problems with the one because you got the instructions on how to tell the script what not to skip wrong), but in a lot of cases the game developer use event commands to manually skip cutscenes on trigger, because that way they can make sure the important commands are not skipped.

Future232

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
there is a reason why you don't find automatic cutscene skip scripts - because in a lot of cases, they produce more problems than they solve.

Just think:
you have a cutscene in which the player meets the goddess and gets the demonslyer sword at halfway, followed by instructions how to use it.
the player uses the script to skip the cutscene because he has a walkthrough - but because the cutscene is completely skipped, the command to give the demonsslayer sword is also skipped and the player leaves the cutscene unable to ever finish the game...

any cutscene script needs specific instructions on each cutscene as to what can be skipped and what not. There are some scripts that work that way (and it might be that you have problems with the one because you got the instructions on how to tell the script what not to skip wrong), but in a lot of cases the game developer use event commands to manually skip cutscenes on trigger, because that way they can make sure the important commands are not skipped.
Yes, that is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to make a manual optional method to skip cutscenes/movies (The OGV file that is currently playing) by simply pressing a button. I want to try and make cutscenes optional.

Future232

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wait, I figured out a semi-solution. It's still very effective, I just to be able to dish it out. Okay, so, I created a variable specifically for cutscenes. If its 0, cutscenes will play. If it is 1, no cutscenes will play. It is zero by default. And when the game first starts, I made an NPC to choose whether or not you want cutscenes on or off. But the thing is, I don't want to have to create an NPC for every single area of the game with a cutscene to choose if you want to disable it or enable it for that cutscene, so I'm trying to figure out how to add it to the actual ESC menu. Also, there are some parts of the game where you cannot pause the actual game. This is why it is a semi-solution. I still need a manual cutscene skip with a button to skip it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for any video file, that will need a video player script because the original player function does not include such a control.

for anything else you usually do that by checking for a button with a conditional branch between two commands and if the button is pressed, give critical changes and exit event processing (or jump to a place where that is done to prevent repeating the commands in the conditional branch

Future232

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am using the original Play Movie option, the one that plays OGV files in the "Movies" folder. The button under "Movie" section, in the 3rd page, at the bottom. It doesn't look like I can do a conditional button check because it would only check for the button after the movie is done, as all functions are put on halt until after the movie is done.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is why I said you need a player script, the original play movie can't skip

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Except for the movie, you could simply do a choice branch for the cutscene.
offer choice at the start.
If they skip then do the commands required and proceed.
If they watch, then they watch.

The RPG Maker Source cutscene script works for me, but I currently only have text playing for cutscenes. Nothing special. And all required commands at the end.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

:LZSooo: Gotcha Gotcha Games... have launched an official discord server for RPG Maker. :LZSooo:

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeko