standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
TLDR: I used to sleep walk badly, and still have a problem with Sleep Drunkenness.
FYI: This is a super long post. The TLDR, Poll and Title sum it up. The post below is my experiences and personal feelings about it.

So I had a conversation about this other day, and a very uncouth individual reminded me that many people truly don't understand Sleepwalking or Sleep Drunkenness (also called Confusion Arousal, which I can't believe is the accepted scientific term!).

A little bit of background:
I never actually knew I sleepwalked until it had happened many times. When I was 18, I was trying to live like many 18 yo folks liked to live. I always wanted to be out. I wanted to have a relationship, I wanted to hang out with my friends all of the time, and I wanted to continue working 48 hours a week.

My job was about an hour's drive away, this becomes important later.

It's hard to pinpoint when and where this all began, so I generally hold this period of my life (age 18) to be both the time when it started and when I became aware of it, although the start was very likely much earlier than that.

It's also worth noting that my 48 hours a week were graveyard shift, 11pm to 7am. Anyone who's done nightwork as long as I have knows that, unless you're one of those people that is truly a night owl, you never get a truly regular sleep schedule like this. Doesn't matter how tired you are, doesn't matter if you take sleep meds. Your body will tell you no, the sun is up (it knows this even when you are in a basement in total darkness)

Let me say this
Sleepwalking is not fun, it's extremely confusing and can be terrifying.

For some reason, a large percentage of people don't seem to understand that you aren't in control of your actions when you're sleepwalking, or in control of your actions/attitude when you're sleep-drunk. This can make it extremely difficult, and I've lost friends to interactions they chose to have with me immediately after waking me up, even though I warn everyone who will occupy the same residence as me to just leave me be, don't try to wake me up, don't take my interactions seriously because I'm not fully aware or in control of myself during these periods.

Anyway, here's some of the things that used to happen with me, as a sleepwalker.
-Suddenly 'wake up' (not really) and begin performing tasks, often ones that make little sense
-Show up at people's home's and have half-baked conversations with them (apparently I would only seem kind of off, to them. They would say after the fact that I seemed drowsy, but no more than a person who was just waking up or ready for bed.
-Drive over 50 miles to work on an interstate highway, stopping to pay a cash toll and never causing an accident.
-Send creepy cult-prophecy like texts to random people in my cell phone. (A friends sister showed me one, I sounded like a mad man. One of the phrases in this weird thing I sent her was 'Yoked forth by the fades of a fetter' or something. Not how I talk when I'm awake.....)
-Think things that have NEVER happened were happening, such as calling a friend and telling him that we were both Karate instructors, and that he had to take both of our classes of kids home because I had to go to work (<===Based off of NOTHING. Not even remotely resembling anything in either of our lives lol.
-Using my cell phone to call a friend and tell him I left all 3 of my cell phones at his home (I only had one, and was using it to call him and tell him this....)
-Put my shoes on the wrong feet, realize it and throw them across the room in anger before putting them on the correct feet.
-Randomly detouring on the way out the door for work to pour a bowl of Count Chocula, before stopping and staring at the bowl and after 30 seconds telling my then girlfriend "I don't find a @#$-@#$# @#$#!@ #%@!$#% thing funny about a bowl of Count #$%^%$# Chocula", without looking up from the bowl, and then finishing my meal.

These are some of the things that I wouldn't become aware of until someone told me later, or in the case of getting into the car while sleepwalking and driving to work, only to wake up confused later in the parking lot, things I had to figure out on my own.

I wasn't allowed to work anywhere else or I'd be thrown out of my home. It was a family business, and long story short, my folks stole every dollar I made from 14-18th bday, saying it was for college when really they just smoked, popped and snorted it all.
This is important because it's why I didn't have a choice to work less, work somewhere else or have the money to move out on my own and break away from them.

I didn't understand that I was sleepwalking, because everything felt like a confusing haze all the time. Sleeping was impossible for me during the day, even if I'd been up from most of 48-72 hours. This hasn't changed today. I'm still doing nightwork at my current job, and regardless of how little sleep I get, I cannot get tired during the day when I need to sleep, most of the time. I tried medicines, I literally would try laying in absolute darkness, in bed, for hours.

However, my diet and lifestyle are much better than they were back then, so I don't sleepwalk anymore. I still get sleep-drunkenness almost every night that I wake up. It took a while for my wife to accept that talking to me during the first hour that I'm waking up is asking for trouble. It's hard because I legitimately don't know what I'm doing or saying, and almost no one ever believes that, even when you tell them ahead of time that it will happen.

One of the crazier things to me was not sleepwalking, but the hallucinations I would get if I got fatigued during the day, or at night during work. I literally walked smack into a coworker one time back when I was 18. I was walking toward the time clock, and I don't know how to describe it, but it's like my mind stopped 'updating frames'. I saw an empty space between me and the timeclock, which was reality when I was about 15 feet away from it.
However, my mind just held that image as I walked toward the timeclock, and I never shut my eyes...but at a certain point I collided full-stride into someone. The had apparently stepped in front of me at some point, but like I said, my mind just stopped updating what I was seeing.

That's not as much of a hallucination as some of the other, actual hallucinations I had, but I won't go into them as they're very difficult to properly describe.

Ultimately, it was actually difficult to break this cycle because I was always so out of it, and I didn't want to lose my friends or the girl I was dating. Being so out of it all the time clouded my judgement and I would just drag on.

This went on for about 4 or 5 months until I got lucky and my car broke down (bad wiring harness) This was luck because the idiot who towed me also left the keys in my car, on the lot. The car was stolen the same night, and I got a big fat check that was honestly more than I could have hoped to get.
This was especially lucky because during this time, I had no way to drive an hour to work every night, so I had to go to work on my Dad's shift, with him.
As soon as I was off of night shift, my sleep schedule was instantly restored, and my sleepwalking/hallucinations stopped.

I'm showing my hand a bit here, but I've actually posted on this forum various times in the past 10-12 months when I was in a state of sleep-drunkenness, and when I read the posts later they sound so mean.
Don't get me wrong, I can be terse or short with people that I feel crossed a respect line with me, and that is not sleep drunkenness.

I actually rarely feel remorse for people who get snapped on when they're disrespectful; I'm a firm believer that if you let people get comfy with what negative reaction they expect ahead of time, they tend to do or say disrespectful things because they're willing to pay the price when they think it will be small. My belief is you don't get to pick your punishment. You get whatever you get. People don't usually violate on me more than once, online or in person.

That said, I feel really bad sometimes when I read something I posted online in that state. It's complicated, because it's hard to feel true remorse about it, like I would if I was mean when I was fully awake. I'm me 99% of the time, when I'm awake. That's me. Not the sleep-drunk guy that I am sometimes when I wake up. In that state, I act and think virtually nothing like I do when I'm actually conscious.

It's difficult, because I'm pretty sure it just sounds like an excuse if I get nasty with someone, and then say later "Oh, no that wasn't fully me."
...But that's how it is...

Have any of you ever sleepwalked, or do you currently sleepwalk?
Do any of you get sleep-drunkenness? Do you find it difficult to deal with, or do the people around you have trouble dealing with it?

Last edited:

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow! That sounds unreal (even though I know it's real)! I'm glad you were able to stop the pattern by adjusting your schedule, diet, and such.

I don't sleepwalk (if I did, I'd wake up with far more injuries, since I like to leave my floor strewn with objects - environments that are too sparse make me uncomfortable). However, I apparently emote in my sleep like no other, talking every few hours and often injecting extreme happiness, cynicism, or anger into the nonsense I'm spouting in the middle of the night ("Wow! Mangoes! And limes, too! Thanks for the choice, Dad!!"). It makes me a bit annoying to share a room or bed with. :blush:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not 100% sure what sleep drunkenness is, but I used to sleepwalk as a kid. No idea why. Only reason I even know I did it is because my mum told me whenever it happened. Yeah, it's not fun. No outstretched arms like a zombie, you appear to be awake to others, but you're not. Apparently, I tried to leave the house in my underwear. lol. I told my mum that I needed to go somewhere, but didn't tell her where. She asked me in the morning, but I had no idea. xD

Another time I just stood watching my mum and little brother, they shared the same bed, as they slept. I didn't move or make a sound. My mum woke up and saw me, and asked me what I was doing. I didn't say a word. Apparently, I eventually just left. Again, no idea why I did it. I don't know if I still sleepwalk, since I have no one around to tell me if I do. Haven't woke up in strange places though, so perhaps I don't.

My most recent girlfriend told me that I do talk in my sleep. No idea what I say, but I imagine it's nonsense. lol. I also laugh while sleeping. I have no idea what I'm laughing at, since most of my dreams, those I can remember, aren't all that pleasant.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Haha, I love that! I talk in my sleep apparently, too, but my wife says most of it is incoherent. Mangoes! Limes! I have been told I've said one particular, very odd and vulgar phrase before that I can't repeat here, but I'll let you all imagine the blanks for yourself. The statement went something like
"We $$$$ the $$$$ and pass the savings on to youuuuuu!"

@The Stranger wait....you just triggered a memory for me. I sleepwalked at least one time when I was 3, because I rode my bike tricycle naked through Jersey City, until a neighbor called my Dad to come stop it from happening!! I literally didn't remember this until just now, I have to call my Dad and get some details now XD

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only bad things that happen to me in my sleep is Sleep Paralysis. Literally just repeating dreams where I'm in bed and can't move. No demon hallucinations (only really happened once or twice) but the scenario changes all the time. Sometimes my body is just numb and I can sort of move, struggle out of bed just to realize the layout of the room is off. Sometime I wake up into ANOTHER SP dream immediately after the previous one and just go through a short cycle of them before actually waking up. It's a real pain in the arse. At first it only happened whenever I slept in, but it seems as if it's happening almost every time nowadays.

Also, I'm told that I snore super loud every once in a while. I think they're lying. :distrust:

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've had sleep paralysis only once or twice, it's real upsetting to be conscious but not able to move. The demon stuff I'm glad I didn't see, I would have lost my mind.
Also, apparently I snore the paint off of the walls XD

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only time I remember sleep walking was to use the restroom. I literally went to bed then woke up downstairs in the restroom. It was really weird. I also once managed to successfully navigate a turn in my car after falling asleep at the wheel. I woke up at the other end quite startled. Not ever letting that happen again. Life is too valuable to drive while drowsy. I got extraordinarily lucky that day. This was at about 55 mph (aapproximately 90 kph for metric users out there) too so a crash would have likely resulted in fatal injuries.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I sleepwalked as a kid and it can be a dangerous afair. I once jumped from the top of the stairs and Also walked into the (back)yard on occcasion. Most of the times though it was pretty harmless, though I did relocate items while sleepwalking which could get frustrating once I woke up and had to look where I left them -. -

Combined with my insomnia it did create a period in which i didnt get enough rest at all. Luckily those days are gone though nowadays I do have a knack to sleep with my eyes open at times which terrifies my husband lol

I Also talk in my sleep and from what I have been told I am even pretty cohesive at it fooling ppl Sometimes to thinking I am actually awake until I suddenly will say something completely off the hook.

As for snoring I do so on occasion (been told it sounds like an angry bear growing more then snoring though) and get louder if someone else is snoring in the same room lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be going live shortly! I will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, and then I will be switching to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Spent all day working on something that ultimately has nothing "flashy" to show at the end of it. But that sense of achievement...
This is on the Amazon page for the FF7 Remake: 'If you get the game early, please think of others and don't spoil it for them. Please don't post videos or screenshots of the game until it is officially on sale on April 10.'
Gave my avatar an update, stay safe, people!
I'm currently available for hire for scripting (and perhaps other things).
Also, don't worry, the Advanced Minimap plugin is a work in progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimmykittycat