RMXP Slim reviews [Time to play the Game!]

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by slimmmeiske2, Dec 4, 2017.

1. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Muahahahaha

I'll be playing and reviewing some IGMC games. When the contest ended I made a list of games to play, so I'm (finally) going through them right now.

Important things to note:
    • I play the contest version. If by any chance, you want me to try again and play an updated version, just leave a message. Also because I play the contest version, some bugs I find might have been fixed already.
    • No grades, as I find them highly subjective and I'm the worst at grading anyway. Besides as Lemmy used to say: "It's all about the game and how you play it." :awink:
    • Feel free to ask for some more feedback/explanation.
    • Requests will get done, but only after I finish playing through my own list.

Now onto the actual reviews:

Royal Odyssey: Foundation (by @Dalph & @Susan )
    What got me interested:
    -> it's made by Dalph (and Susan), and I enjoyed their previous games.
    -> creative gameplay: you don't see the whole boardgame aspect quite often

What I liked when I played:
    -> All those beautiful sprite edits, specially those soldiers: those capes! that gold! :kaoluv:
    -> Maps are great as usual
    -> When I first did the tutorial battle, I was scared it'd be too difficult to understand, but that turned to be false. I quite enjoyed battling. I also really liked the memory game during the boss battles.
    -> Animated title screen

What I didn't like:
    -> First boss took too long to off considering I never made a mistake
    -> No quit option from the title screen. Tried to remember the controls to go to windowed mode and close, but I couldn't so I button smashed rage quitted :aswt:

Did I complete it?:
    No, I encountered a game breaking bug after continuing from a savefile. I played for 20 minutes at that point.

Other things the developer needs to know:
    -> The music after meeting Marsha for the second time is way too quiet. I thought there was no music at all, until I turned up the volume.
    -> I ended up on a morale down tile, but it actually increased my morale: image here

I'll be playing the updated version later.

Ladd Dinn (by princessdanger)
    What got me interested:
    -> it's Aladdin themed! (Love me some fairytales)

-> The mazes itself
    -> I liked that gold and skeletons lighted up. It made going through the mazes a bit easier.

What I didn't like:
    -> Starting on a "world map". The map just made little sense to me, I assume you picked that because you don't have a large piramid tile?
    -> The slow walking speed when you reached a certain amount of money... This was definitely a deal breaker for me. I had collected up to 1500 golds, so I was "dashing" at a snails' pace. I just threw away all my money and any of the money that I collected afterwards.
    -> No shutdown option anywhere.
    -> The music started annoying me after a while.

Did I complete it?:
    No, I couldn't find the key to unlock the doors. I was able to bypass most of them until I got to the final room. At this point, I had played for 12 minutes.

-> No music after I hit New Game (on the world map)
    -> It would be nice if the maps kinda showed where the key is. Or if there were some actual hints as to where I could find it.

If you ever change some of my grievances (that hard to find key, the slow speed etc.), I'll definitely try again.

Paletta (by Cosmic Latte)
    What got me interested:
    -> Beautiful artwork.

-> Everything looked so beautiful.
    -> The story was so cute. I enjoyed playing this little fairytale.
    -> A help function that explained all the keys.

What I didn't like::
    -> Nothing! If I had to pick anything I'd say I wished it could have been longer.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes! I finished the game in 39 minutes.

-> I collected around 27 flowers. Didn't really get the purpose of it at the beginning, so it was only at the end that I started making them bloom.
    -> Found some small typos: inhabitants were, the d is cut off
    -> You'll probably be DQed as people need to download the Ace RTP to play this game. Which is a downright shame, as this could have been a contender. :asad:

I'd love to play an extended version of this!

Quidget the Wonderwiener (by @Dezue )
    What got me interested:
    -> Spunky custom artwork.
    -> The screenshots kind of reminded of the Deponia games, which I really like as well.

-> Game looked great. The general atmosphere was fun.
    -> The Exclamation marks so to see where we could interact.

What I didn't like:
    -> It was very short I would have liked it to be longer. It felt like a tutorial level, as it was pretty easy to complete.
    -> The humour was kind of a miss for me.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes. I did have to replay it, because it got stuck after pulling the lever. (Problem was on my end though) I think I finished the game in around 15 to 20 minutes.

-> Found a small typo. Should be toothbrush.
    -> The menu is in German.
    -> No way to leave the "thank you for playing"

I definitely would like to try a longer game by you guys. This felt too short to give me a real idea whether I liked it or not.

Dear Edwin (by @Gabrelik , @futrchamp , @Plueschkatze & @hiddenone )
    What got me interested:
    -> Beautiful artwork.
    -> That teaaaaaaaam. As soon as you guys announced you teamed up, I was quaking in my boots. So much talent! :kaojoy:
    -> Edwin's design slightly reminded me of Newt Scamandar (that cutiepie). :wub

-> The soundtrack.
    -> The mapping and sprites are all very nice.
    -> The cameos of the team. I spotted Gabrelik, hiddenone and Plueskatze. No idea where futrchamp was hiding.
    -> Terrence giving hints. I found most of the things myself. Although I had to search for a while before I finally found Clarisse's apartment.
    -> The writing: I enjoyed the style it was written in.

What I didn't like:
    -> No interactions with the surroundings. I assume this was due to time constraints?
    -> No menu to save? Okay wait, scratch that, looking through my images I now see I needed to press C for menu. :aswt:
    -> The writing: so much text. I started to grow fatigue from all the reading after meeting Nora.
    -> The placement of several doors, like this.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes. No idea how long it took as I forgot the menu button. :aswt:

-> Some of the animations went by me, as I was focusing on text at the bottom. This might be something to remember next time. Which is a shame, 'cause the things I did see, looked great.
    -> No knocking sound when I get to the doors at the square.
    -> No interaction with most pub goers

I am looking forward to seeing what else you guys make. :thumbsup-right:

Einherjar (by @watermark )
    What got me interested:
    -> I initially wasn't going to play this game. The short description and the title screen didn't seem that special to me to give it a second look. However, as I was reading the forums here, I saw people mentioning Helen of Troy, Cleopatra etc. As an ancient history lover I just had to try this.

-> Really enjoyed the writing and the characters. Had to chuckle at several of Brooke's lines.
    -> I really enjoyed trying to collect as many Einheri as I could.
    -> Loved the credits song.

What I didn't like:
    -> Not a big fan of the first lyrical song. In my opinion it felt out of place plus it's not really my genre anyway.
    -> No shutdown option.
    -> Resting in the final dungeon, reseted all the enemies, meaning at some points I had to dodge three different enemies who had all come and joined me at the resting spot ^^;

Did I complete it?:
    Yes, took me a bit longer than an hour as I tried to get most of the available einherjar.

-> I'd love it if the Einherjar menu also had a small description of each Einheri. I knew the most famous ones, but not all of them. I just enjoy reading these type of tidbits. :)
    -> Would be nice to have health restored after we get back from the training forest.
    -> How does anyone even access those school lockers? :o They're double the size of the characters.
    -> Small typo.
    -> Some small mapping errors and priority issues.

Looking forward to episode 2 :thumbsup-right:

Caterpillar (by Blue Elixir Games)
    What got me interested:
    -> I liked the mood of the title screen.
    -> When I read it was an adventure game with choices, I just wanted to try it. (I'm a big fan of the Telltale games, Life is Strange, etc.)

-> I enjoyed the CG art.
    -> The outdoors map were good.
    -> The font you used.

What I didn't like:
    -> The characters speak very strange. It might be because of the writer's English skills.
    -> I guess I do't completely get it. It's pretty confusing. (I picked Right at the end): Tried again and picked left now.
    -> The indoor maps

Did I complete it?:
    Yes, last savefile is at 37 minutes (it's right before leaving the house).

-> Punctuation and capitalizing seemed to be missing from time to time.
    -> The English needs work in general.
    -> Find what?

It definitely needs some more work, though I don't think I'd play it again, unless asked. It just didn't click for me, sorry.

The Midnight Train to Nowhere (by mannytsu)
    What got me interested:
    -> Interesting title
    -> Custom artwork
    -> I like adventures. Let's go on an adventure.

-> The art was very nice.

What I didn't like:
    -> No shutdown option.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes, though I'm not a 100% sure I got the meaning behind it. I've got an idea, just not sure if it's correct or completely off ball.

-> During the space coversation "You're always known" should be "You've always known"
    -> Another typo

It looks nice, but it was too short, to really decide whether I liked it or not.

Cinder Ellard (by @Gin )
    What got me interested:
    -> Cinderella themed game.
    -> I know you've made some commercial games, but I've never tried them.

-> The artwork for the poet kinda reminded me of Lars.
    -> The general plot idea
    -> The artwork for some of the characters
    -> All the fairytale references.
    -> Easy combat (Note: this might be a con for some other people, but I think the easy combat fits the game and the intended audience better)

What I didn't like:

-> The actual writing: the main characters fell in love randomly, the whole princess of fairies thingie, that random death... I liked the ideas, just not the execution.
    -> Maps were small, which didn't help the 'another day has passed' scenes.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes. Took me just shy of an hour.

-> Lots of spelling and grammatical errors. Like too much to mention here. If you want I can send you a list.
    -> Mapping error
    -> Double trouble: I went back inside before leaving for the ball and met some doppelgängers.
    -> Can't interact with the mysterious ninja here.
    -> For the riddles: the correct choice was always the bottom one. It's probably better to switch some up
    -> Why weren't there any guys at Clementine's ball? Shouldn't there have been some other suitors? (I know the Frog Prince was there, but he was the only one)

It's a very quirky game, some things were a bit too weird for me (Pie), but I enjoyed the ridiculousness of others.

Lost & Forgotten (by kanatakkun)
    What got me interested:
    -> The pixel artwork

-> The pixel artwork.

What I didn't like:
    ->No gameplay or story much.

Did I complete it?:
    Yes.

-> Your font doesn't seem to include '
    -> Spelling errors, typos and grammar issues took me out of the game as well. There was in almost every sentence an error.

Supershort game. I found it to be boring and uninteresting. It was nice to look at, but that was kind of it.

Dream Devourer (by radiantcadenza)
    What got me interested:
    -> I liked the split title screen
    -> I've played a few games that take place in dream realms and quite enjoyed those.

-> The dreams and Ash changing depending on how many enegery you've picked.
    -> Getting healed during the "tutorial" level. I got hit sooo many times.

What I didn't like:
    -> Those flowers spitting fire was difficult.
    -> Not a fan of the immediate openworldness after the tutorial level. There didn't seem to be a goal to strive for at that point yet. So it made choosing what to do a shot in the dark.

Did I complete it?:
    No, I ran into a gamebreaking bug. Seems like the creator is aware of it and has uploaded a fixed version.

-> Lots of typos. You spelled "weren't" wrong everytime.
    -> Saw some grammar issues as well (it's/its)
    -> You left the Mapshots plugin in. Made it kind of annoying to take screenshots of the bugs I found.

Hard to give an opinion considering I didn't get very far. I probably won't be downloading the fixed version though, as I found the "tutorial" too hard already.

Once Upon a Spirit (by @Lucy Fox )
    What got me interested:
    -> Lucy Fox always makes awesome games
    -> The art
    -> Made with RMXP :D

-> The sprites were adorbs
    -> The animations were super as well.
    -> I enjoyed the story and setting a lot

What I didn't like:
    -> Felt like it took a while to load from time to time
    -> It was so short :'(

Did I complete it?:
    Yes. Here's hoping you continue the story. :)

-> Some small typos: bare -> bear, If -> if (although I think you need to use "when" in this case)

I hope you continue this! It was fun and well-made. :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    watermark, Gin, Plueschkatze and 5 others like this.
  2. Dezue

Dezue patreon.com/peninja Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heyho Slim! Thank you for playing Quidget [​IMG] !

I just saw the tootbrush typo O_O Embarassing!
    ... or is it an item that can be found in Quidget the Wonderwiener v.2.0?
    No, it was a typo... [​IMG]

Looking forward to more of your reviews!

slimmmeiske2 and Susan like this.
  3. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool review style, was that all of your list that you wanted to play?

slimmmeiske2 and Dezue like this.
  4. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the review! And yes, much of what you listed was due to time constraints. We would have liked far more interaction and environmental storytelling, but we will definitely be taking that into account for the next installment. You can expect to see Edwin again in an upcoming prequel, complete with so much more than previously available (and less monotonous text :guffaw:)

Thanks for the support, Slim!

Also, try the bar wall to find futrchamp. ;)

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  5. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, Slimm, thanks a lot for the review. We really appreciate that you took the time to try the game. I'm glad there were a lot of things you liked about the game. I will address the negative parts of your review.
    There are 3 spells the player can use in the boss battle (excluding meditation). The other 2 only shows up when the the player has enough CP stored. The 2nd spell shows up at 5, and the 3rd at 10.
    Did you use the 3rd advanced spell to fight, or just the 2nd? The 3rd spell does much more damage than the 2nd.
    If you still have trouble later, PM me and I'll give you more hints.

- Regarding the quit option, sorry for missing that out. I used Alt-F4 too much. We'll be adding that in. :kaoswt2:
    - As for the morale up/down bug report, I noticed that the player is on the morale up tile, so it seems to be working as intended.
    - Please PM me or Dalph your savefile and I'll provide you with an updated version so that you can continue from where you left off.

Sorry for the problems, and thanks again for trying. :kaoluv:

P.S. your game is pretty interesting. Will let you know my thoughts when I'm done~

Dalph likes this.
  6. slimmmeiske2

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @OnslaughtSupply Thanks. And no, still a while to go :aswt: I have a list of 44 games and am currently at number 6 (Einherjar).

@Gabrelik D'oh! Of course, I remember seeing a white dog in a portrait. (Next to Queen Elena right?) Kinda forgot that that was futrchamp's avatar Dx

@Susan I didn't really know theer would be a level 3 spell. Like I told Daph, I assumed level 2 would be the hghest for the first battle, so kept on using that. Definitely will remember it when I replay.
    Thank you in advance for the quit option! (I still don't understand why they removed it from MV :asad:)
    As for the morale down tile, the tile that bugs is the one underneath the banner. (I definitely should have made that more clear, sorry. That's what I get for being too fast.) I'll PM you my savefile this evening (gotta scurry off to work now).
    And thanks I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Susan and Dalph like this.
  7. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    44, wow!

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  8. slimmmeiske2

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Added reviews for Einherjar, Caterpillar, The Midnight Train to Nowhere and Cinder Ellard.

I'll be playing Lost & Forgotten, Dream Devourer and Once Upon a Spirit next.

Gin and Susan like this.
  9. Gin

Gin The djinn Veteran

Thanks for the feedback slimm.:kiss::kiss:
    Well, about the characters randomly falling in love, I was actually prety fair!>_> In all fairy tales, the princess will fall in love at first sight. Snow white, Sleeping beauty, Rapunzel, it´s like a thing...:blink: they see it, bam!Love happens. But in this case:
    She cuts his hair and dresses him, he cooked for her a speacial meal, they danced , they gathered around the fire to tell scary stories, they slept "toghether"in the same tent, they fought together, and he tried to cook for her again...:dizzy:

About maps being small, they couldn´t be bigger or It wouldn´t be an one hour game....
    At Clementine´s ball although it may seem like there are no guys, except for the party crashers(which includes the frog)the thing is, it is an all Cinderella´s ball.

Clementine´s always hoped the cinderella she wanted to meet appeared, and that´s why she invited Cin many times(but we already know what those pests did to the mail, so...). The girls at the ball were:
    Ye Xian-The chinese version of cinderella;
    Tam-vietnam version of cinderella;
    Aschebrodel-german Cinderella;
    Cenere-italian cinderella(full name cenerentola);
    Cendrillon-french cinderella story;
    ....and a few more I´m adding to the polished version of the game(or that the game already has, but I had to check)...:popcorn:
    The egiptian version of Cinderella is also in the game, but her story was so dramatic, that I didn´t have the heart to add her to the ball(it´s Rhodopis, and you will find her outside the palace):blink:

If it´s not a bother to you, you can send me the list of mitakes..I already fixed most of the problems in the game, but there´s nothing like double check...:kiss::kiss::kiss:
    P.s-Pie has a human form, but only Jack can see her...:p

Susan and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  10. slimmmeiske2

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Gin About the romance: I have nothing against them falling in love (or love at first sight), I just didn't feel like the scenes/writing showed them falling in love. To me, they became friends. Everything you mentioned could just be aspects of friendship. Anyway, it's just my opinion and I'm sure this might have also been a side effect of the deadline.
    About the ball: Ooh, I did not get that. I mean I did see they were all Cinderella's but I didn't make the connection that Clementine had only asked Cinderella in the hope of meeting Cinder.
    I'll send you a PM regarding the typos tomorrow.

As a general note guys, even though I do review the contest version, I try to ignore the fact that it was made on a deadline, when I write my feedback. Since I think several (if not most) are planning on continuing/expanding their entries, I hope that my comments can help you with that.

I've added reviews for The Lost and Forgotten, Dream Devourer and Once Upon A Spirit.

Susan and Gin like this.
  11. Gin

Gin The djinn Veteran

It´s cool if you feel like they are just friends Slimm. I think each person reaches it´s own ending according to what they feel...that´s what´s amazing in fairy tales.:wub And this is just the demo...
    But why would Arion be ok with risking her own life for just a friend? She knew she would die, and still she tried to convince Cin not to go trough with it(she did it twice actually, first in the palace and then in the garden when she even tried to convince Clementine that it was insane).So she spends almost a month trying For Cin to do something, and all of a sudden she doesn´t want it anymore?! What changed?!

The matchmaker is a blessed guy that will only marries couples that he knows will stay togheter forever and share true love.(It´s his curse)He would never marry anyone that didn´t already have some serious bounding...

And how would the misterious ninja save her sister at the tavern, from a tragic fate by just giving them all a love potion, if she didn´t already knew the outcome?!(I mean, everyone saw something in those two....Treasure saw it too while it was blooming)...

It was never implicit it was love.There wasn´t even a kiss or a "I like you" type of thing, and Arion did say in the end she would never forget how Cin lost his boots to Clementine. She was really heartbroken when Clementine stated that in the garden and she stopped convincing them both not to get married.:( How could he lost his boots to Clementine?!(OHHH I felt like punching him....:stare:)

But of course in slow motion, he does lose his boots while performing some steps up in Arion´s direction, so he realy lost his boots when he saw her face at the ball, while listening to the music the twelve strokes to midnight,...

After the demo their relationship will become more defined for sure... :blink: Anyway, thanks for all your help. I´m redoing some art, but will fix all the remaining errors asap...:kiss::kiss::kiss:

12. RadiantCadenza

RadiantCadenza Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for trying Dream Devourer. Unfortunately I have to agree that I made way too many miss-steps at the start of the game. The flower turrets are way overkill and that whole area is kinda sloggy. I'd like to go back completely and redesign that whole area from scratch, but for now, based on feedback similar to what you've said, I did make a patch to band-aid fix it for now. Tl:dr details on my dev blog post.

I won't try to pressure you into trying the patch, but if the concept of the game interests you, I do hope you'll keep an eye out for the future versions of the game which will be better balanced, way more polished and properly spellchecked and edited.

But again, thanks for the feedback. It's feedback like this that helps me to make a better game in the future.

slimmmeiske2 likes this.