Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, you know those blue gelatinous monsters featured in just about every RPG? I'm talking about these guys:
Slime.pngOoze.pngSlime RPG Basic.png
I'm curious to hear what quirks you guys give your Slimes to make them more interesting. What stat distribution do you give them? What skills/abilities do they get? Do you give them any unique gimmicks? I think the most interesting quirk I've seen for a Slime would be the ability to split into 2 smaller Slimes. Do you guys prefer Slimes that are more resistant to physical dmg or magical dmg? I've seen it done either way, both of which can make sense. Some games feature Slimes that react to whatever element you throw at it, becoming immune to that element as a result. I can also understand how physical attacks may be ineffective (cuz you're trying to slash goo lol). So how do you guys design your Slimes? :p

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do have slimes that explode on death.
Depending on the type of slime, I have 4
- Poison slime = Adds poisoned state to the attacker
- Flaming slime = Fire damage to the attacker
- Electric slime = Shock damage to the attacker
- Magical slime = Reduce the current TP by half to all party members, I probably did add a dispel effect if I recall correctly, idk.

Most of the slimes are resistant to physical damages. But weak to energy-based damage (heat/arcane). Oh also, these are mid-game encounters instead of being early game encounters.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 slime of every element, weakness is same colour as the slime.
only take 10% dmg from physical.
their attacks can apply stacking -10%(-50%) def/mdf debuff. corrosive bodily fluid u know.
went with the DQ call for backup instead of divide and 7 of same type can merge to king slime.
king slimes can consume 1 actor (cannot move + big DoT = HoT to the slime)
and instead of metal slimes which make exp grinding crazy easy i went with gold slimes (gold is normally rare to get from fights unless fighting humanoids which would carry gold)
and i made slimes fall under material type enemies with mimics and golems instead of having slime as its own category.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on game.

In my last game I made slimes have no element but they were weak to arrows. So if you shot one with an arrow they took double damage.

In my current game I've made slimes Life elemental, which means they regenerate. The hardest slime in the game is the Divine Slime which has 100% HP Regen, which means yes you have to focus your attacks on it so you can KO it in one turn.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In one of my games there's a boss who is a Giant (as in, big-as-a-house) Slime. The gimmick is that when you take him down to 50% HP or lower, he splits into two smaller Large Slimes with slightly lower stats (and a smaller moveset) and half of his Max HP. Each one of those Large Slimes can split into 2 Medium Slimes; each of those into 2 Tiny Slimes. If you deal enough damage in one shot to bypass a level (for example, take the Giant Slime from 52% HP to 22% HP in one shot), you get to bypass a level of the split; he becomes 4 Medium Slimes instantly - or dealing enough damage in one shot to a Medium Slime to kill it would skip the Tiny Slimes that it would split into. His moveset (as an early boss) is fairly basic but includes the ability to make characters extremely slow by splashing them with goo.

In a roleplay I GM'ed once, I had an acidic slime monster that could envelop any character who came within melee range of it (though it was also possible to escape with a dice roll). While enveloped, characters would continually take damage each turn (from the acid and suffocation), but could continue to try and damage it from the inside. Other characters could save the enveloped character(s) by killing the slime, dealing enough damage to it while specifically targeting the region the character is in, or (at great personal risk) trying to pull their ally out. Loot was fun for these guys since it was reasonable for literally anything in the world to be stuck inside of them.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength ah gelatinous cubes. gotten so many great magical items from them in hidden rooms (non magical items just get dissolved) easily more dangerous then mimics since often dont even know they are there until 1-2 people already walked right into it and are stuck before the fight even begins.
thats where i took the consume ability from.

really can get alot of RM ideas just by going through a D&D monster manual looking at creatures with any similar traits.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slimes that change form, so their strengths/weaknesses depend on what form they take. I haven't used this idea though because I'm not sure I could pull off making my other enemies look slime-like, for my slimes to have morphed into.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmst. Elements are a big thing in mine, so we get elemental jellies. :)

The frost one is the default, but the fire one can explode, the earth one can poison and the storm-typed one can emit electricity and be used as a generator. These are just like, baby ones though.

Cause there's also demon slimes that eat people's souls and turn into human form. And then there's metal slime succubi that act as the T-1000s from Terminator... generally the demon slimes are proficient enough to outright copy the appearances of other people, but not their magic power if that makes sense.

In terms of resistances, non-elemental physical attacks don't bother them at all. But they get splattered if you use magic on them, especially if it's their weakness element.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only had slimes in my RM2K3 game, where they had either immune from attack or immune from magic, indicated by a special state icon. Normal slimes would alternate between the 2 states each turn. Rock slimes (fire slimes with a rocky shell) started out immune from attacks until their shell was shattered, then they became immune to magic.
Honestly, not sure what I would do with them now. Maybe something closer to being very resistant to either attack or magic, but not outright immune. They're pretty fun to make, since you can imagine them doing a lot of different stuff, like splitting up, merging, absorbing elements etc.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I usually don't like slimes as an enemy overall, but in one of my games slimes were pretty formidable and didn't serve as a beginning enemy at all. Instead they had the ability to split into multiple enemies (weakened them though) in order to overwhelm with their numbers, or "encapsulate a hero" in which they'd suck one hero into their gelatinous body and emulate that hero's abilities/strengths to use against the party while stripping that member from the party for a time.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My slimes are generally extremely high defense vs physical attacks, and they tend to do stuff you'd expect from slimey foes: Heal themselves by dissolving their target (HP drain), inflict poison, inflict slow, etc. They're really nothing special, just one of many different types of enemies. Their attacks are usually poison/acid or water elemental damage. That's about it!

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my design, slime always has high physical resistance but quite weak against magic especially ice magic. well, there's always variation like lava slime, acid slime but never ice-based slime I guess. and totally not a beginner monster ( that goes for rats! )

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh, freezing a slime before smashing it with a weapon sounds fun.

Last edited:

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slimes (called Blobras in Legend of Terra Firma) have many varieties. The basic Blobra is the first enemy you ever meet, with no specific powers or immunities except its tendency to run away. The colored Blobras are trickier, they have physical resistance and elemental resistances that can be guessed from their appearance. For example, the green Forest Blobra is healed by water and vulnerable to thunder; the orange Cave Blobra is healed by fire and vulnerable to ice.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slimes that change form, so their strengths/weaknesses depend on what form they take.
...so I now have the thought for a dark, political story where all levels of government for humans and other races have been infiltrated by shape-shifting slimes that are manipulating policy.

I guess it's like the Founders from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, only...fantasy with slimes :p

There's also the Kandra from the Mistborn novels, which are basically slimes that can use the skeleton of a creature to wrap around and shape-shift into it. They're used as assassins, impersonating people to infiltrate places.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's also the Kandra from the Mistborn novels, which are basically slimes that can use the skeleton of a creature to wrap around and shape-shift into it. They're used as assassins, impersonating people to infiltrate places.

Cool stuff, I especially like the idea of slimes taking over skeletal remains. In Dragon Quest, a group of harmless slimes ball up into a King Slime. Well, now we can have slimes taking over carcasses of enemies the player just defeated. Muahahaha!

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The general theme for slimes in my game is they're TP-focussed, with a lot of moves that generate extra TP or make use of it. The way I see it, their semi-fluid bodies allow for a lot of coiled, hydraulic power that can be built up and expelled.

Ozzac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made only 1 game so far, and I made poison slimes. Once I'm more confident with my abilities I'll try something more complex

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Slimes are NPCs in my game, so I can't say for certain from experience hahaha.

However, I feel like Slimes are these resistant-gooey anomalies that sort of slosh everywhere. In that regard, if I had to make them as enemies, I would go with something along the lines of making Slimes weak to physical attacks, but resistant to like, elemental stuff. I'd like to think that their gelatinous properties somehow "resist" and "cancel out" the elements of things like fire, water, electricity, etc...whatever. But of course, punching the hell out of the slime-puss can literally obliterate it hahahah.
At least, that's how I think about them.

I actually played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2 on my old PS2, and slimes were tough enemies. You couldn't really get near them because they only attacked by "spitting" acidic spitballs at you from a distance, and their acid-properties made it impossible to block their projectiles with things like shields. I ended up resorting to using arrows or projectile-spells from the distance so I wouldn't get murdered from 3-5 slimes trying to spit at me at once.

Overall, I think if you can determine what you believe the "properties" of a slimey liquid substance can be like, you will be able to come up with an interesting idea.

15098D

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I haven't personally done this yet I have always wanted to see a slime that can copy abilities from the party like Ditto ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've been getting into YuGiOh again!
Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tvx9